Marvel Announces Predator vs. Black Panther Series!

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 23, 2024, 06:00:33 AM

Author
Marvel Announces Predator vs. Black Panther Series! (Read 3,486 times)

Corporal Hicks

Following the successful and popular Predator vs. Wolverine series, Marvel Comics has announced that the next Predator series will see our favourite luminescent blooded extra-terrestrial hunter go up against the guardian of Wakanda, the Black Panther himself!

Predator vs. Wolverine scribe Benjamin Percy is returning to pen the Predator’s second crossover with a Marvel superhero. Speaking to io9, the Percy spoke about the success of the previous crossover and why the Predator was now heading to Wakanda.

I put all of my creative poison into Predator vs. Wolverine, so it was extremely gratifying to see the reader and retailer response—for the floppies and for the collected trade. The strong sales encouraged the idea of expanding the storyline. If the first installment was about the hunt for a man, it made sense to elevate the stakes and make this book about the battle for a kingdom. There are a number of reasons that Black Panther makes for a great adversary and Wakanda makes for great stage (including the fact that the perimeter shield, when locked down, creates a hunting preserve). But then you throw vibranium into the mix, and you've got a really interesting (and fresh) Predator narrative. The Yautja covet their weapons and trophies—and the kingdom's vast stores of this rare cosmic metal would be impossible to resist.

While Percy is naturally keeping the details of the story close to his chest, he did reveal that Predator vs. Black Panther would include some form of Predator royalty:

What's the Black Panther story people are most familiar with? The battle over the throne between T'Challa and Killmonger. I'm channeling something similar to that here—except on a cosmic scale. This Predator King has two sons who are at war with one another. Vibranium might be the weapon that determines their claim.

Joining Benjamin Percy will be Chris Allen on the interior artwork, making his Predator series debut. You can check out an example of his artwork from the series below.

The first issue of Predator vs. Black Panther is currently slated to hit comic book stores August 21st! The trade paperback for Predator vs. Wolverine is also currently out and you can snag a copy from Amazon (US/UK).

Make sure you stick with Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest Alien and Predator comic and novel news! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Just read the article and it talks about a Predator King. But.. Predators don't have a King. Their government is dictated by a Council of Ancients according to numerous Predator and AvP sources.

Where in any of the EU has there been any mention of a Predator King or hints of one? Where did it even come from?

No, AVP2 doesn't count as Prince's name was more of a moniker or designation given to him by Rykov.

SM

Probably like Kalakta in Rage War.

Link

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on May 23, 2024, 07:11:58 AMProbably like Kalakta in Rage War.

Never read the Rage War Trilogy.

SM

I don't think he was a "king" but he was a leader who was pretty high up and older.  There was another one in the Life & Death comics.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on May 23, 2024, 07:23:20 AMI don't think he was a "king" but he was a leader who was pretty high up and older.  There was another one in the Life & Death comics.

I never read the Life and Death comics either. Everything post Three World War, except for intercompany crossovers I avoided.

But I do know that in some materials, specifically AvP Extinction mentioned the Council of Ancients, and it was fairly ingrained in the story of the Predator missions.

I mean, we do know that Predators have clans and Elders that lead. The Council of Ancients, to my understanding consists of heads of a variety of clans that dictate the laws of the hunt and ceremonies in Predator society.

I know NECA aluded to this Council in some of their backstories for their line unless it's the Mandela Effect at play here. But NECA doesn't really count in the larger scheme.

The word King being applied to Predators just irks me, as their a clan based society and not a monarchy based one unless there's something (and I probably did) I missed.

SM

I'm not really that au fai with Predator lore but I think a lot has happened in the 21 years since Extinction.

A king-ish Predator doesn't seem terribly out of left field though IMO.

PAS Spinelli

This sounds cool af

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SiL on May 23, 2024, 09:23:55 AMThe concept isn't new, no.

My first thought was Robert Rodriguez's old Predators script.  :laugh:

After how much I enjoyed P vs. Wolverine, I'm happy to take another crossover. They even mentioned having planned the next. Which is cool and all! But the Predator has to win one of these. Surely.  :laugh:

Mr. Joe

Mr. Joe

After Predator vs Wolverine give Aliens vs Weapon X, Deathlok vs Aliens, Punisher vs Aliens, Blade vs Aliens   
Future Cable vs Aliens, Predators, Engineers  ;D    Bishop vs Aliens,  ;)

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

SM linked that.

A lot of that information is from fan presumption regarding Prince, NECA's backstories (which do have more presence but I largely disregard toy backstories because they're, you know, TOYS), and Rage War, which has the most weight of them all.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 23, 2024, 10:10:16 AM

My first thought was Robert Rodriguez's old Predators script.  :laugh:

After how much I enjoyed P vs. Wolverine, I'm happy to take another crossover. They even mentioned having planned the next. Which is cool and all! But the Predator has to win one of these. Surely.  :laugh:

Quoting Dutch in regards to the Rodriguez script: "I'm trying to forget!"

As for Predators winning against Marvel characters? As much as I would love to see a Predator holding Spider-Man's head, I know that won't happen. Marvel won't dare have any of their flagship characters die at the hands of a Predator.

Corporal Hicks

With the multiverse there's really no genuine reason they can't or shouldn't. 

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 23, 2024, 06:28:11 PMWith the multiverse there's really no genuine reason they can't or shouldn't. 

I want an Alien-Predator multiverse.

But the Marvel fandom is bigger, more vocal and well... the feats for some characters is INSANE.

So more often than not, especially with plot armor, the Super Heroes will win.

Unless the Predators are experienced enough and get the upgrades to better their chances.

But... I think Predators in some cases are nerfed. Hear me out, because they have their own super metals which can rival Adamantium. One metal is called Dlex and it was in the Steve Perry AVP books and molecularly treated to withstand Xenomorph acid.

Also, one Predator clan even has different grades of this metal. The Dark Blade clan in Concrete Jungle learned to improve and refine their metals with plasma forging and one weapon was specified to have unbreakable strength.

But Predators wanting Adamantium and Vibranium? Well... I guess it would be interesting to see if they get their hands on it.

I am curious if Benjamin Percy knows about this stuff or doesn't. Willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

SM

A super hero isn't going to get beaten by a monster in a crossover like this. It's a given.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed