Legendary Encounters - An ALIEN Deck-Building Game

Started by Mr. Domino, Oct 09, 2013, 02:49:39 PM

Author
Legendary Encounters - An ALIEN Deck-Building Game (Read 77,441 times)

Corporal Hicks

The Aliens expansion seems to have been pushed back to November.

QuoteThe company is planning an expansion for Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck-Building Game (see "'Alien' Deck-Building Game"). Release is planned for November.

http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/35208/upper-deck-reveals-schedule-five-new-games

Machiko Naguchi

Corporal Hicks

My response exactly. I thought it was due out this month.

Corporal Hicks

Some more details regarding the expansion:

Quote400 cards
The roster of playable characters grows with fan favorites form the 4 Alien universe movies.
New Keywords, Drones, and Strikes.
New never before seen content and stories.
Play as the Alien Queen with her very own playmat and cards.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1653267/what-will-be-hatching

QuoteWelcome to the first preview of the new expansion for Legendary® Encounters: An Alien™ Deck Building Game. Over the next few weeks we will delve into new stories, new mechanics, and a whole new mode of play, but today we're going to start off with some old favorites. Specifically, here are some characters that we didn't have room to include in the Core set.

Here's good old Engineer Brett with a new take on the Coordinate mechanic.

For the first time Dual Class Character cards are introduced into Legendary® Encounters.

Each of the four films gains two new characters, and each of those characters has an "uncommon" card that counts as two classes and has two different class abilities. (Yes, if you play two copies of Find a Way to Help Him, both abilities on the second copy will trigger.)

If you've played enough of the base game, you're aware that things can get pretty desperate. Fortunately, there are some new cards designed to help you out in those situations.

The Desperation keyword lets you know that the card has two modes: one regular effect and a more powerful or flexible effect if things are going badly in a specific way (defined by each Desperation card).

In addition to two new characters for each film, this set includes a "greatest hits" Ripley. This 14 card playable character version of Ellen Ripley has one new card for each movie that references a keyword or other mechanic from the base set.

We hope you enjoyed today's preview. Tune in next time for a look at the two new Hives.  The Legendary® Encounters: An Alien™ Deck Building Game Expansion hatches in stores this December and is available for pre-order now at your favorite local gaming store.

http://upperdeckblog.com/2016/11/legendary-encounters-alien-expansion-preview-old-favorites/

Machiko Naguchi

Looks cool so far, but now its not until December. ugh  :(

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: Machiko Naguchi on Nov 05, 2016, 05:39:09 PM
Looks cool so far, but now its not until December. ugh  :(
Which is fine, patience is a virtue we could all benefit from having more of! :)

From what I've read, this expansion is as big as the full game. This is wonderful! One of the best things to happen to this franchise on the gaming side of things that is.

Machiko Naguchi

Yep I'm with you. I'd rather it be later and totally badass than rushed and not as good.

Mr. Clemens

It's funny... I'm excited for this expansion, but I kind of wonder how much use I'll get out of it. Reason being, I always play pure vanilla: each movie's location along with its related hive and characters. I've never attempted mixing the films, particularly since I play solo and thus I'm the one shuffling all the cards. Having to kick out, say, Dallas and Lambert to get Kane and Brett into my game would sort of bother me.

Perhaps I'm just lazy.  :P

PRJ_since1990

I wouldn't say lazy at all. No one likes cleanup so to completely avoid it is actually a skill in and of itself lol. I play vanilla too, but with people

Corporal Hicks

Just depends how you store it, I guess. I've no issue with cleaning away after a mixed game.

Corporal Hicks

And another blog: http://upperdeckblog.com/2016/11/legendary-encounters-alien-expansion-preview-death-from-above

Looks like they're taking some creative freedom and I like it!

Kailem

"Steve? Steve?!?! STEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVE!!!!!"

I never actually got round to picking up either one of the other of the Legendary Alien/Predator card games, but I'm strongly thinking I will be for Christmas. And seeing these previews of this new expansion is really making me lean towards the Alien one (even though I doubt I'll actually get the expansion for a long while yet).

I'm a fan of all the crazy EU and Kenner-style xenomorph variants, so I'm totally cool with them coming up with some new ones for this. Heck, compared to some, these actually seem pretty restrained!  :D And the first new story scenario sounds cool as well, definitely a recipe for more cool types of Aliens to show up as well as lots of survivors and people to get in and out of trouble.

All in all this looks to be shaping up really well!

Machiko Naguchi

Hey there is finally a release date and it is on my birthday!  Seems like an easy idea for a present  ;D

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: Kailem on Nov 11, 2016, 08:00:16 PM
"Steve? Steve?!?! STEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVE!!!!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHr3ag7B410

I never actually got round to picking up either one of the other of the Legendary Alien/Predator card games, but I'm strongly thinking I will be for Christmas. And seeing these previews of this new expansion is really making me lean towards the Alien one (even though I doubt I'll actually get the expansion for a long while yet).

I'm a fan of all the crazy EU and Kenner-style xenomorph variants, so I'm totally cool with them coming up with some new ones for this. Heck, compared to some, these actually seem pretty restrained!  :D And the first new story scenario sounds cool as well, definitely a recipe for more cool types of Aliens to show up as well as lots of survivors and people to get in and out of trouble.

All in all this looks to be shaping up really well!
LOL Steve. What is this, Blue's Clues meets Alien? The dog and the salt & pepper shakers have to find Steve in the Hive....

Anyways, I'm very apathetic regarding the flying thing. I'm glad it's not like the mechanic in MTG where a creature with flying can only be fought with other creatures with flying. I hope there's some sort of electric fence or flak cannons we'll be able to keep the skies clear, like the sentry guns in the second film.

When it comes to Aliens, I always figured they were scary enough and didn't need wings. When I saw flying Aliens, I thought Kenner and not in a good way, like a "that's goofy" kind of way.

Kailem

Another preview's up: http://upperdeckblog.com/2016/11/legendary-encounters-alien-expansion-preview-enhanced/

Looks like the second story/location takes place post-Alien: Resurrection and features "enhanced" xenomorphs.

Judging by that third hazard and this new "Enhanced" mechanic, it looks like this one's going to be particularly tough!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed