Legendary Encounters - An ALIEN Deck-Building Game

Started by Mr. Domino, Oct 09, 2013, 02:49:39 PM

Author
Legendary Encounters - An ALIEN Deck-Building Game (Read 77,023 times)

Corporal Hicks

Personally I suggest using the penny ones until you can afford to get proper ones. It's better to have some protection than none at all but I don't recommend them as a long term solution, especially not when you're shuffling.

Machiko Naguchi

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Mar 31, 2016, 01:23:27 AM
Penny sleeves are the cheapest way to go and honestly, offer exactly what you want mainly, protection. Colors are nice and I like it color coded so I don't ever run the risk of the game falling off the table or the box exploding and it takes forever to resort it. With colors, such as red for the strike deck, it helps make set up and clean up easier. However, no one is wrong here. It really comes down to preference and budget.

The sorting ability would be a nice side benefit, but if I did the colors it would be for a more thematic reason. It would be awesome to have a green hive deck and a red strike deck and so on.

Mr. Clemens

There's still the issue of mixing decks, though. Like, if you had Jones, Newt, a 'Brother', or Purvis in your deck, with a green back you'd always know when they were coming up.

Like XenoZipper, I'd definitely be up for sleeves that had the LE 'egg' graphic on them, though. I'd sleeve the whole game in that.

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Mar 31, 2016, 10:41:01 PM
There's still the issue of mixing decks, though. Like, if you had Jones, Newt, a 'Brother', or Purvis in your deck, with a green back you'd always know when they were coming up.

Like XenoZipper, I'd definitely be up for sleeves that had the LE 'egg' graphic on them, though. I'd sleeve the whole game in that.
That would be great! Sign me up.

Those special cards? I have spare sleeves (hive in green, strike red, everything else blue) so I can switch to the necessary color when those ones come up.

Corporal Hicks

XenoZipper

Awesome! Can't wait to pick that up! I'm still having a blast playing the main game & I still haven't done EVERYTHING you can with it yet. I've still yet to add Good/Evil Agendas into the game, still yet to have a dead character become an Alien & play as that still too. I still have to get the Predator one as well.

Corporal Hicks

The extra stuff in Alien seems very tacked on. And the Alien deck is mega OP. However, the alternate stuff in Predator fits far better.

Machiko Naguchi

I am the same as xenozipper in that I haven't played any of the extra parts of alien. But I am very excited for new content, especially being able to play as the queen 😀

XenoZipper

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 13, 2016, 08:03:21 AM
The extra stuff in Alien seems very tacked on. And the Alien deck is mega OP. However, the alternate stuff in Predator fits far better.

I agree the Alien stuff seems a bit tacked on & really only seems to be useful if you're playing with a bunch of people but honestly it's usually just me playing it by myself playing as 2 different characters. Sometimes my brother plays with me but not often so when it's just me, it seems pretty pointless to have one of my guys turn into an Alien & then attack myself haha But yea, Secrets Revealed & Good/Evil Agendas are still something I need to include in the game at some point when it's my brother & I playing.

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: XenoZipper on May 14, 2016, 01:23:44 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 13, 2016, 08:03:21 AM

I agree the Alien stuff seems a bit tacked on & really only seems to be useful if you're playing with a bunch of people but honestly it's usually just me playing it by myself playing as 2 different characters. Sometimes my brother plays with me but not often so when it's just me, it seems pretty pointless to have one of my guys turn into an Alien & then attack myself haha But yea, Secrets Revealed & Good/Evil Agendas are still something I need to include in the game at some point when it's my brother & I playing.
I haven't tried these new rules yet myself. Def want to though but need a bigger player group and my 2 cousins aren't always available.

XenoZipper

That's my prob too. Barely any of my friends will play board/card games with me let alone being Alien fans. Only my brother will play with me.

Kailem

Rather than bump both this and the Predator Legendary Encounters thread, I'll just ask here: which of the two would you guys recommend picking up first? Does one offer more value for money than the other (given that the Alien one covers four movies whereas Predator only covers two, for example)? Or is it really just down to personal preference?

I've watched just about every playthrough I could find Youtube of the two of them, and I really like everything I've seen and heard. I was kind of leaning towards Predator, but I like how varied the Alien one looks, with all the different movies/scenarios and cards that those entail (all the various types of Aliens look like a cool feature). But I also like that you can play as the Predator in that game.

I'm completely new to deck building games, if that has any bearing on anything, but I feel like I've got a pretty good grasp of the basics from all the hours of videos I've watched of people playing them both. Chances are I'll mostly be playing by myself with only the occasional muliplayer sessions, again just in case that might be a factor in picking one up over the other.

I'm sure I'll end up getting them both eventually, but as is usually the case with so many things, the initial barrier is money. :-\ So better to go with one for now, then pick up the other one at some point down the road.

XenoZipper

I was completely new to deck building games too before I played Alien. So far, that's the only one I've played so I've had no chances to try Predator yet. I would say it's just down to preference for which one you want. I'm more of an Alien fan than I am Pred (not by much though) so for me, made sense to go for Alien. It's a fun game & it's not that hard to play by yourself either if you can suspend your imagination a little bit (that's only if you're like me & have no one to play the game with)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Kailem on Aug 07, 2016, 03:12:13 PM
Rather than bump both this and the Predator Legendary Encounters thread, I'll just ask here: which of the two would you guys recommend picking up first? Does one offer more value for money than the other (given that the Alien one covers four movies whereas Predator only covers two, for example)? Or is it really just down to personal preference?

Whilst Predator only covers the first 2 movies, it's actually doubled in that it comes with 2 kind of Legendary games. It includes the mechanics for a co-op human based gameplay that Alien does, but it also has a second gameplay mechanic as Predators where you vs. each other. It's a much more fleshed out vs. mode than is included in Aliens.

QuoteI'm completely new to deck building games, if that has any bearing on anything, but I feel like I've got a pretty good grasp of the basics from all the hours of videos I've watched of people playing them both. Chances are I'll mostly be playing by myself with only the occasional muliplayer sessions, again just in case that might be a factor in picking one up over the other.

I think it's pretty friendly to get into. It's not really like your major card games. And you should figure out everything you need by watching the gameplay videos on YouTube.

Really, it's just down to preference. Do you like Alien or Predator more? They're both great games and I really recommend both eventually. They're great fun to play with buddies who love the films.

Kailem

Thanks for the input guys. :) Sounds like they're both as good as each other, as I figured/hoped.

So I guess now, since it sounds like neither is really superior to the other in any sort of gameplay or value kind of way, I just need to get back to the agonising task of simply deciding which one I'd prefer to get first! :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed