Aliens: An Analysis

Started by Scorpio, Jan 27, 2018, 02:12:52 AM

Author
Aliens: An Analysis (Read 49,554 times)

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jul 19, 2023, 08:54:34 PMThe Egg on the Sulaco thread deserves this fate.

Its one of my fave threads (well, it was) 😂

Jonjamess

Jonjamess

Quote from: SiL on Jul 17, 2023, 11:46:06 PM
QuoteThe second scene is also important, but not only because it explains how the colony became infected but because what happened to the colony personnel mirrored what happened to the Nostromo crew. This reinforces the point that the company was strongly involved, as the colony manager received instructions from a top W-Y official (the latter explained by Cameron).
I say this so boldly because I know he's not reading these replies, but f**king christ how can anyone be this f**king stupid?

The WY official is Burke. And only Burke. How do we know? The film explicitly tells us the order to investigate the derelict was given by him. There's a whole scene about it.

f**king hell.
He's not on my ignore list so hopefully he sees this! Because this is the ultimate madness of it all. He's making parts of the movie up. He's interpreting a scene where they explicitly tell us Burke ordered them to investigate the Derelict and claiming it was some off screen top company official! His behaviour is actually insane now.

Engineer

Engineer

@Jonjamess
You'll be on the ignore list after this lol
Well played

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: Stitch on Jul 19, 2023, 03:09:16 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 19, 2023, 05:01:56 AM@Stitch @HuDaFuK You're up ^
Do I have to be? Fine.

Quote from: ralfy on Jul 19, 2023, 02:04:52 AMYes, but why do you think my interpretation is invalid?

Because you are using information in the movie to come to a conclusion. You are then using your own conclusions to back up other hypotheses.

I'm not going to go into your massive wall of text (most of which amounts to speculation, or overly complicated conclusions which ignore Occam's razor), but a lot of your arguments are baseless, and your conclusions seem to be made to fit a predetermined point of view, instead of being based on what is shown.

You have ideas, and use them to prop up your other hypotheses, building up to a house of cards which cannot be stable because it has a faulty foundation.

You want interpretation and now argue otherwise. How does that make sense?

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jul 19, 2023, 08:54:34 PMThe Egg on the Sulaco thread deserves this fate.

The fate of reasoning.

Quote from: Jonjamess on Jul 19, 2023, 10:04:06 PM
Quote from: SiL on Jul 17, 2023, 11:46:06 PM
QuoteThe second scene is also important, but not only because it explains how the colony became infected but because what happened to the colony personnel mirrored what happened to the Nostromo crew. This reinforces the point that the company was strongly involved, as the colony manager received instructions from a top W-Y official (the latter explained by Cameron).
I say this so boldly because I know he's not reading these replies, but f**king christ how can anyone be this f**king stupid?

The WY official is Burke. And only Burke. How do we know? The film explicitly tells us the order to investigate the derelict was given by him. There's a whole scene about it.

f**king hell.
He's not on my ignore list so hopefully he sees this! Because this is the ultimate madness of it all. He's making parts of the movie up. He's interpreting a scene where they explicitly tell us Burke ordered them to investigate the Derelict and claiming it was some off screen top company official! His behaviour is actually insane now.

Burke is not working alone but, according to Cameron, head of a special services division. He adds that it's in charge of research.

Why is he not working alone? Because the division is not separate from W-Y but part of it, together with bio-weapons, mining, and terraforming.

In the real world, corporations are made up of divisions in charge of different products and services. The heads of each division are appointed by a CEO, who in turn is hired by a board of directors representing investors who own the company.

In short, Burke is not working for himself but for the company. He was selected by W-Y to represent the company during the hearing. If he decided to contact the colony manager to send someone to investigate the site, he did so as director of that special services division. That means the colony manager, who also works for W-Y, received instructions from Burke, another employee of the same corporation.

Why Burke and not, say, employees from terraforming, mining, and bio-weapons? Because the one in charge of acquiring and researching on alien organisms and tech is Burke's division.

Finally, about the profanities and drama queen antics like referring to me as "insane", there's no need to take this personally. LOL. All I'm doing this is seeing what happened in the movie in light of what happens in the real world, and I think Cameron did the same.

To reinforce that last point:

Cameron grew up during the Vietnam War and made this movie during the Reagan era. By then, more were talking about collusion between the military, industry, and government to profit from war, and the government supported that in order to strengthen the status of the U.S. as a superpower nation. In order to ensure increased funding, it deregulated the economy, allowing the rich to become even richer, especially through financial gambling.

That's why not only the second but the first movie allude to these: giant corporations like W-Y coming up with requirements for personnel to investigate alien phenomena so that it could monetize them, seeing them as expendable, forming things like bio-weapons divisions with the military being the obvious major client, and the Nostromo crew getting their share of the profits, the Jordens as wildcatters, and Burke as part of a research division of the same company. The presence of a bio-weapons division alludes to the same military industrial complex.

That's why the first post of this thread refers to an analysis of the movie in light of the Reagan years, with other topics, like feminism, also discussed.

What I did was connect that analysis with the content of the movie, and now added what Cameron said about Burke and others, as some kept insisting that according to Cameron Burke worked alone. It turns out that there was some confusion about that: either he worked alone (i.e., the company didn't care) or he worked alone only in the sense that he was head of a division that's tasked to researching on such finds (according to what Cameron said).

I support the latter. But in response to that, I'm referred to as "insane" and even said to see the movie in a "cartoonish" way. That is, it's absurd for a company to be "evil"; rather, it didn't care, and Burke was working solely as a private individual and had the power to do so.

I used to think the same way, too, but I was watching shows like "Wacky Races" then. Hence, the reference to Dick Dastardly twirling his mustache.

Last point: I think the trolling will not only continue but will grow worse, so I'd rather keep the ignore function in place. I'll reconsider if it stops and forum members become mature about this.

Engineer

Engineer

I think it's fair to say Ralfy has a bit of confirmation bias here...
He's starting with a conclusion then working backwards to cherry-pick or misinterpret scenes/details to fit his preconceived conclusion.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Is it possible that ralfy is really just a misunderstood genius? :o

oduodu

oduodu

all over the internet?

ooohkaaaay....

Jonjamess

Jonjamess

He's just absolutely not getting it, or I believe he's deliberately not addressing the point out of stubbornness.

As has been mentioned 3 billion times nobody is saying Burke doesn't work for WY. We are saying the movie explicitly tells us Burke uses his position in WY to act 'independently' from what they have specifically asked him to do.

He uses his WY position to get a place on the team going to investigate the loss of contact with a colony. His reasons are that WY has a financial interest in the colony. WY as a company does not think Aliens have overrun the colony, again this is explicitly implied due to the fact they allow the USCM to investigate rather than do it themselves.

Burke believes Ripley might be telling the truth, INDEPENDENTLY of WY as a company (who don't believe her). So he siezes that opportunity to tag along, telling his employers he should go as they have large sums of money invested in the colony and its in their best interests.

He does NOT tell his employers he is going there to try to get them an Alien. He doesn't tell them this because they don't believe the Alien is real and they would likely deny his request to be part of the team or at least challenge his integrity which in turn puts his job at risk. This is what we mean by working alone, WY has no knowledge of his personal intentions for going.

Nobody I'm the company has ordered Burke to go get them an Alien. Nobody in the company has instructed the colonists to go to the Derelict (only Burke does this, again without informing his employees or at least keeping them properly in the loop).

Why would Burke be so worried that Ripley was going to expose him if he had a huge multi billion influential company behind him? Because he is solely responsible for 157 colonist deaths (he has no scapegoat, he can't testify the company made him do it etc). Because they didn't!

I'm really becoming confused as to what is so hard for Ralfy to understand regarding this? It's not complicated.

SiL

SiL

Because if he agrees with that, he'd be wrong.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: Jonjamess on Jul 20, 2023, 07:56:19 AMHe's just absolutely not getting it, or I believe he's deliberately not addressing the point out of stubbornness.

As has been mentioned 3 billion times nobody is saying Burke doesn't work for WY. We are saying the movie explicitly tells us Burke uses his position in WY to act 'independently' from what they have specifically asked him to do.

He uses his WY position to get a place on the team going to investigate the loss of contact with a colony. His reasons are that WY has a financial interest in the colony. WY as a company does not think Aliens have overrun the colony, again this is explicitly implied due to the fact they allow the USCM to investigate rather than do it themselves.

Burke believes Ripley might be telling the truth, INDEPENDENTLY of WY as a company (who don't believe her). So he siezes that opportunity to tag along, telling his employers he should go as they have large sums of money invested in the colony and its in their best interests.

He does NOT tell his employers he is going there to try to get them an Alien. He doesn't tell them this because they don't believe the Alien is real and they would likely deny his request to be part of the team or at least challenge his integrity which in turn puts his job at risk. This is what we mean by working alone, WY has no knowledge of his personal intentions for going.

Nobody I'm the company has ordered Burke to go get them an Alien. Nobody in the company has instructed the colonists to go to the Derelict (only Burke does this, again without informing his employees or at least keeping them properly in the loop).

Why would Burke be so worried that Ripley was going to expose him if he had a huge multi billion influential company behind him? Because he is solely responsible for 157 colonist deaths (he has no scapegoat, he can't testify the company made him do it etc). Because they didn't!

I'm really becoming confused as to what is so hard for Ralfy to understand regarding this? It's not complicated.

I think the single most obvious factor that Ralfy glosses over to suit his argument is that if Burke is retrieving an Alien on company orders as Ralfy would have you believe, then how the f**k does Burke hope to SELL it to the company? 😂 You don't buy what you already own.

"Hey, we got an alien through ICC quarantine as we planned, let's buy it from ourselves".

Muppet.

oduodu

oduodu

someone please make a gif of someone eating popcorn. head back on the couch throwing popcorn into the air hoping it will fall in his mouth.

maybe ralfy is a genius. i'm in the mood for buying the novelisation of aliens and reading it 5 times.

Eal

Eal

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Jul 20, 2023, 11:24:24 AM
Quote from: Jonjamess on Jul 20, 2023, 07:56:19 AMHe's just absolutely not getting it, or I believe he's deliberately not addressing the point out of stubbornness.

I think the single most obvious factor that Ralfy glosses over to suit his argument is that if Burke is retrieving an Alien on company orders as Ralfy would have you believe, then how the f**k does Burke hope to SELL it to the company? 😂 You don't buy what you already own.

"Hey, we got an alien through ICC quarantine as we planned, let's buy it from ourselves".

Muppet.

Stop making sense and being logical.

oduodu

oduodu

S.E.B.

S.E.B.

I mean, IF the Company suspected there were actual alien organisms running around Hadley's Hope, ALIEN 3 shows us what the response from the Company would have looked like. Tons of scientists, heavily armed private commandos in padded armor meant to deal with wild hostile organisms, recording equipment, nets, cages and probably other equipment and weapons specifically deployed to be used in order to capture and contain their prized Xenomorph specimen.

Again, there's nothing in the actual movie that even imples that W-Y higher-ups were in on Burke's plan, or that they instructed Burke what to do once he arrived at LV-426. Nothing in the actual movie that implies that highly ranked USCMC officers were in on whatever it was that Burke and/or the Company were planning on doing.

Now, if any of the future Alien installations confirm your interpretations on-screen, then yeah, congratulations - your hunches and and thoughts are now the official explanation to what lead up to the Acheron operation, its execution and aftermath. But until then, your interpretation of Aliens is just another interpretation - an interpretation that is not backed up by what we see in the actual movie.

Jonjamess

Jonjamess

Quote from: S.E.B. on Jul 20, 2023, 06:07:36 PMI mean, IF the Company suspected there were actual alien organisms running around Hadley's Hope, ALIEN 3 shows us what the response from the Company would have looked like. Tons of scientists, heavily armed private commandos in padded armor meant to deal with wild hostile organisms, recording equipment, nets, cages and probably other equipment and weapons specifically deployed to be used in order to capture and contain their prized Xenomorph specimen.

Again, there's nothing in the actual movie that even imples that W-Y higher-ups were in on Burke's plan, or that they instructed Burke what to do once he arrived at LV-426. Nothing in the actual movie that implies that highly ranked USCMC officers were in on whatever it was that Burke and/or the Company were planning on doing.

Now, if any of the future Alien installations confirm your interpretations on-screen, then yeah, congratulations - your hunches and and thoughts are now the official explanation to what lead up to the Acheron operation, its execution and aftermath. But until then, your interpretation of Aliens is just another interpretation - an interpretation that is not backed up by what we see in the actual movie.
OMG thank you. Exactly this. Once they realised the Alien was real they were all over it. But Aliens (the movie explicitly tells you they didn't think at that moment it was real).

Otherwise like you say they would have sent their own ship to Hadley's Hope. I have said this before but Ralfy won't care!

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Jul 20, 2023, 11:24:24 AM

Muppet.
But we've (I've) told him 10 times Burke wasn't trying to sell the Alien! He was just trying to get a promotion, favour and a massive paycheck.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed