Aliens: An Analysis

Started by Scorpio, Jan 27, 2018, 02:12:52 AM

Author
Aliens: An Analysis (Read 49,652 times)

ralfy

ralfy

In response to

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?msg=2606967

QuoteThe point is Burke has gone around them, he hasn't asked Gorman or Hicks if he can transport the specimens, he's gone straight to Bishop because Bishop is programed to take instructions from humans. Burke has done this on purpose as he knows the chain of command within the Marines is fractured, he knows they ate stressed out and preoccupied with other matters. He does this AFTER half of the Marines are killed or incapacity in the nest, NOT before when everyone is calm and level headed. How are you not understanding that? Had Bishop been WY property and had Bishop been under Burkes command, Burke would have 'ordered' him to secure the specimens the moment they discovered them, not 4 hours later when they've lost half their Marines, the APC and their only way off the colony. Why wouldn't he have transported the specimens to the dropship immediately? Ferro and co weren't doing anything at the time they had been ordered to touch down and await instructions! They could have helped Bishop move the specimens on board!

Bishop is programmed to receive instructions (and those mean orders) from the Marines. Why is he receiving them from Burke? The chain of command is still intact, with Hicks in command, and which he acknowledges that.

Burke isn't just ordering Bishop around, Bishop himself continues to analyze the facehuggers even after what happened to the Marines. Why's that? His activities are similar to Ash's, and Ash was working for the company.

Likely Burke ordered Bishop even earlier, i.e., to analyze and secure organisms and tech for transport. Ripley realized it only when she ordered Bishop to destroy the facehuggers.

Here's where it gets worse: following the argument that Burke should have made the order earlier, even Ripley should have made the order earlier! Remember the first time that they saw the facehuggers in the lab and even Hicks was making fun of Burke? Ripley could have said right there that the facehuggers should have been destroyed. One could argue the Marines wouldn't believe her because her story isn't proven. If so, then what do you call those things in the lab?

In fact, they could have done that right after they went back to the labs, as there's nothing more that would question Ripley's story.

QuoteBecause Burke has NO authority that's why! And the movie makes that clear! The only time Burke realises he might get away with collecting the specimens is when all chaos has broken loose!

That sounds illogical because it implies that Burke only considers collecting the specimens only if he could get away with it. Meanwhile, it looks like the Marines didn't care about what Bishop was doing (see above).

QuoteNow had Bishop prepared the specimens for transport before Ripley had got to him and told him to destroy them, there is absolutely no doubt any of the Marines would have allowed it. Hicks wouldn't have gone with it, Hudson certainly wouldn't have, Vasquez absolutely wouldn't have accepted it, Gorman regardless of his stance would have likely sided with Hicks due to not wanting to rock the boat anymore due to his previous errors of judgement. The specimens would never have got off planet while any of those Marines were aware of it and the point is Burke was trying to do it while they WERENT aware. How does that say Burke is in charge of Bishop, can order him around and has any authority. It says the exact opposite.

The Marines not allowing it? Gorman not wanting to rock the boat? The military is not a democracy.

Also, even Ripley couldn't make Bishop destroy the facehuggers, which is why she had to confront Burke. And even then she couldn't tell Hicks and others about what Bishop was told to do. Instead, the raised it only after she and Newt were almost infected thanks to Burke.

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?msg=2606967

QuoteYou think WY absolutely knows about the Alien and wants live specimens desperately during the events of Aliens? You're incorrect. If I want these specimens, I believe they exist and I'm desperate to get my hands on some' do I go to a colony of 156 people that's been infected and go have my pick of the organisms there? Yes of course I would that's absolutely my best chance of getting hold of some.

Or do I wait until most of said specimens have been destroyed by a nuclear blast and then go chasing after one single specimen on a prison planet? No that would be logically stupid!

Oh it's because I haven't believed Ripley and her story! I think she's nuts! I don't believe these aliens exist so let the Colonial Marines waste their time and resources going to investigate a 'downed transmitter'.

The only time I realise I've been mistaken is suddenly I've intercepted a transmission from the Sulaco saying an extra terrestrial organism has caused a cryo tube fire and has been ejected along with Ripley down to Fury 161. Ahhh Ripley was telling the truth, right let's immediately dispatch our OWN WY ship and go get it.

All proof that WY isn't being sinister during Aliens, they simply don't believe Ripley. Otherwise they would have immediately gone themselves to the Colony. So no Burke isn't taking sinister behind the scenes orders, no he's not in charge of Bishop, no WY isn't in on the events of the colony, no WY doesn't at that point believe Xenomorphs are real, no WY doesn't believe Ripley. They only suddenly do realise once the Sulaco has ejected its EEV and the ships sensor readings are broadcast back to them! Not before, not ONE minute before that!

So your theories are nonsense. Burke during the events of Aliens is just single handedly trying to seize an opportunity, for himself and only himself.

Why is it illogical to argue that WY did not care? Because according to Burke, they have a bioweapons division and lots of opportunities to profit from such findings:

QuoteBurke: Those specimens are worth millions to the bio-weapons division. Now, if you're smart we can both come out of this heroes. Set up for life.

You don't maintain such by ignoring finds, especially when they can easily be verified, which is ironically what happened in the movie.

Why is it illogical to argue that Burke worked independently? Because like Ripley he would receive a percentage of earnings. In addition, he very likely joined the mission not as an private citizen but as a company official:

QuoteBurke: Well, the corporation co-financed that colony with the Colonial Administration, against mineral rights. We're getting into a lot of terraforming...'Building Better Worlds.'

Also,

QuoteBurke: What if I said I could get you reinstated as a flight officer? And that the company has agreed to pick up your contract?

In short, those are actions of a company official, not someone working independently.

Why is it illogical to claim that Burke would have gotten everything from such finds?

QuoteBurke: I know, I know, but we're dealing with changing scenarios here. This thing is major, Ripley. I mean really major. You gotta go with its energy. Since you are the representative of the company who discovered this species your percentage will naturally be some serious, serious money.

In short, they all get percentages: the survivors of the Nostromo crew and Burke. The company manufactures and sells, and the military buys.

Why, then, did they rush?

QuoteBurke: Look, maybe the thing didn't even exist, right? And if I'd made it a major security situation, the Administration would've stepped in. Then no exclusive rights, nothing.

In short, the company gets only mineral rights (see the earlier quote), and the alien ship, etc., are above ground, which means the government which owns the rock would have stepped in. Why? Because one of their agencies, the ICC, would not allow for things like transport of alien organisms.

QuoteRipley: You just try getting a dangerous organism past ICC quarantine. Section 22350 of the Commerce Code.

Burke: You've been doing your homework. Look, they can't impound it if they don't know about it.

This also implies that Burke was planning for all of these all along. And since he's a company official, then he's definitely working for the company, especially given the fact that he met with Gorman, who has higher ups.

What does "exclusive rights" mean, then? It refers to W-Y getting the rights to exploit what's discovered from the alien ship because they found it first. That's why Burke called the colony and told the colony manager to send someone to the landing site and investigate.

What about Gorman and the rest? Likely Gorman received orders from higher-ups (who would be very interested in products developed by the W-Y bioweapons division) to cooperate with Burke while rescuing "juicy" colonists' daughters, and Apone and the "grunts" in turn would have received orders from Gorman, as seen in the briefing.

What other things can we consider? The unit sent specializes in "bug hunts," which turns out to involve looking for "bugs" in systems (LOL) but hunting creatures for which "state-of-the-art firepower" would be needed. In short, they knew that they were not simply dealing with "[downed] transmitters".

In response to

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?msg=2606975

QuotePretty much what Jonjamess said.

In Alien, at least one person at WY knows there's a potentially interesting organism on LV-426, because they stick Ash on board with orders to bring it back. But the company as a whole clearly doesn't know because otherwise they would've gone back between the first two movies (and, if you ask me, would've sent a properly equipped team in the first place, not a bunch of truckers). The total burying of the incident between movies only makes sense if it's just one or more individuals who subsequently go out of their way to cover their backs.

By Aliens, those responsible have either died or moved on, because Burke is the only person who seems even remotely interested in what Ripley has to say. And again, nothing he does in the movie suggests he has any official company backing - like the mystery perpetrator(s) in the first film he's winging it, operating alone to try and make a quick buck for himself. And he has no authority over the mission.

It's not until Alien 3 that the company as an entity (or at least a department of it) knows about the Alien and takes an active interest in getting hold of one.

They didn't move on. Instead, they came up with a bio-weapons divisions.

Burke would have been the only one interested because he was representing W-Y in the board of inquiry, and no other company officials were shown in the movie. Van Leuwen was an ICC Rep, and there was an ECA rep, too. The others would have been the Feds and insurers:

QuoteLook, I believe you, but there are going to be some heavyweights in there. You got Feds, you got interstellar commerce commission, you got colonial administration, insurance company guys...

In addition, it would not have made sense for any of them to not to care, even from a non-monetizing perspective. For example, the ICC does not want alien organisms smuggled, and thus would have shown interest in Ripley's story. So would the ECA rep as the presence of such would be a threat to the colony. If the Feds refer to the equivalent of the government which authorizes the miitary like the Colonial Marines, then it'd be interested, too, as it gains from development of bio-weapons. Given that, probably only the insurers wouldn't care, but that's dependent on how the Nostromo was insured.

In which case, to insist that Burke worked alone because none of these organizations care would make him look like a cartoon villain. What looks more logical is that W-Y saw an opportunity for its bio-weapons division to profit, and had Burke, who according to one source is part of a research division of the W-Y, to join the mission as company liaison.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Spoiler
[close]

Stitch

Stitch

Burke was working for the company, yes.

Burke was also working alone.

He sent the Jordens out to check whether Ripley's story had any merit, because the result of the board meeting showed nobody else did. His actions alone caused the Hadley's Hope incident.

When the comms went down, he knew that Ripley was telling the truth, so wanted to make sure he was on the mission in order to secure proof that these aliens existed (because the rest of WY didn't believe Ripley), so he could bring them back, show WY, and get a big fat promotion and paycheck.

Both working for the company, and working alone.

SiL

SiL

Burke is employed by the Company.

Burke is acting under his own volition to get the Alien.

Ralfy does not get this.

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: Stitch on Jul 12, 2023, 03:43:24 AMBurke was working for the company, yes.

He sent the Jordens out to check whether Ripley's story had any merit, because the result of the board meeting showed nobody else did. His actions alone caused the Hadley's Hope incident.

When the comms went down, he knew that Ripley was telling the truth, so wanted to make sure he was on the mission in order to secure proof that these aliens existed (because the rest of WY didn't believe Ripley), so he could bring them back, show WY, and get a big fat promotion and paycheck.

We have the following info:

According to Cameron, Burke was the "Special Projects Director for Weyland-Yutani (Space) Corp's Special Services Division":

https://avp.fandom.com/wiki/Carter_Burke#cite_note-A2-3

And it manages research programs of W-Y:

https://avp.fandom.com/wiki/Weyland-Yutani_Corporation#cite_note-A2-2

In which case, one can argue that he worked for the mission because he is the head of the research division of the company. Whatever he discovers can then be analyzed in the company labs and then engineered and produced by the bio-weapons division.

Engineer

Engineer

Burke was in "special projects" not "research division"
Lol

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: ralfy on Jul 13, 2023, 12:12:43 AM
Quote from: Stitch on Jul 12, 2023, 03:43:24 AMBurke was working for the company, yes.

According to Cameron, Burke was the "Special Projects Director for Weyland-Yutani (Space) Corp's Special Services Division":

In which case, one can argue that he worked for the mission because he is the head of the research division of the company. Whatever he discovers can then be analyzed in the company labs and then engineered and produced by the bio-weapons division.

None of that contraindicates anything I said.

So he's head of Special Projects, so what? He's still not head of W-Y as a whole, and the review board scene shows that the higher ups don't believe Ripley.

He was acting of his own volition. Hell, the fact that he's Director of Special Projects means he's more likely to be working alone so that he can have the alien in his own division, rather than being beholden to anyone else. That way his team gets the glory, and he gets a big fat paycheck. That he doesn't want to share. Because he'll screw his own kind over for a percentage.

oduodu

oduodu

oh ok

its cameron's commentaries on the dvd's .

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Presented without comment.

Quote from: maledoro on Oct 09, 2007, 03:05:26 PMI'm all for being an individual and going against the grain, but why do you want to support a viewpoint that is not only unpopular but is unsubstantiated as well?

SiL

SiL

RIP Mal :'(

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: Stitch on Jul 13, 2023, 01:01:46 AM
Quote from: ralfy on Jul 13, 2023, 12:12:43 AM

None of that contraindicates anything I said.

So he's head of Special Projects, so what? He's still not head of W-Y as a whole, and the review board scene shows that the higher ups don't believe Ripley.

He was acting of his own volition. Hell, the fact that he's Director of Special Projects means he's more likely to be working alone so that he can have the alien in his own division, rather than being beholden to anyone else. That way his team gets the glory, and he gets a big fat paycheck. That he doesn't want to share. Because he'll screw his own kind over for a percentage.

There's some confusion about the meaning of "working alone".

There's working alone, i.e., working without the company knowing because it doesn't care, and managing to tag along a military rescue contingent (given the claim that the military was alerted about colony communications going down). That's the claim given by several in this thread: he was working as a private citizen and not even as a company liaison or head of his division, and wanted all of the revenues for himself (as opposed to percentages, paychecks, etc.). The company and government didn't care about Ripley's report and only thought that the colony comms went down for some other reason. That's a cartoonish view.

And then there's working alone, i.e., making their own decisions, but still for the company. He acts on his own volition because he's head of Special Projects, which means he does not need to be prompted by higher ups (the ones who appointed him Director and probably even asked him to be the company representative during Ripley's hearing) to investigate this matter, but he still works for higher ups and the company. That also shows that the claim that the company didn't care doesn't make sense. That's my view, and it's more realistic.

It also helps that you also mention that he "gets a big fat paycheck" and would screw others over a percentage, as the paycheck and assigned percentage would be given by W-Y. In short, he was never working alone, i.e., independently of W-Y.

Some more points to consider (and some of these are recaps), and all of these come from the movies, what Cameron said, and a manual:

Burke is head of the research division. That means it's his job to collect alien tech and organisms for company labs. From there, anything discovered can be engineered and manufactured by the bioweapons division (probably working with an engineering division), which in turn has the military as a main customer. Meanwhile, Ripley works for the mining division, together with the Jordens. There's a separate terraforming division with colony services. The government handles administration and security, plus owns territory that's occupied, like LV-426. Finally, anyone, like the Nostromo crew and the Jordens, get a share from anything discovered, and in case of Ripley, required by the company to investigate potential finds.

Given success, Burke would have been given a very nice bonus, Ripley her share with interest, etc., and the company high revenues via bio-weapons and reverse-engineering divisions, plus the military their bio-weapons coupled, and probably improved weaponry and machinery for many industries from alien tech.

The presence of a bioweapons division, Bishop following orders from Burke and analyzing the organisms, and the Marines having "state-of-the-art firepower" needed to deal with "bugs" show the complete opposite of the company and the government didn't care. What likely happened is that company wanted to show Ripley that they didn't care so that they can make it appear to her and to the feds (one of the board members during the inquiry) that they don't have a protocol that makes their personnel expendable, to the ICC (of which van Leuwen is an official) that they don't have a policy of routinely violating quarantine protocols (which is what happened in the first movie, and which they were planning to do for the second), to the insurer (another board member) that they don't have a protocol that makes their insured assets (like the Nostromo and its expensive cargo) expendable, and to ECA (another board member, of which one official pointed out that they found no indigenous organisms in over three hundred worlds) that they wouldn't compromise colony personnel, either.

In this article, Cameron himself shares some more points:

http://www.alienscollection.com/jamescameron.html

That is, Burke could have gotten the alien ship location from the flight recorder.

Keep in mind that all board members had access to the same, and it would not have been difficult for any of them to ask the colony to investigate the location. Why did Burke do it, then? Because he's the W-Y rep in the board, and W-Y is operating the colony in LV-426. The ECA rep administers the colony, but it has no authority to send W-Y personnel to investigate finds. Van Leuwen couldn't investigate the matter as well because he works for the ICC. The feds couldn't have acted because the only personnel on LV-426 that could investigate is a colony that's under the authority of another agency, the ECA. Neither could the insurer because his only concern is what happened to the Nostromo and its cargo.

These points imply that if the government didn't care, it's because they had no capacity or authority to investigate the matter. Only W-Y would, and they would step in only if something went wrong.

Notice, too, that given Cameron's point, of all officials, the company chose to send Burke as its representative during the inquiry. Why? Because according to Cameron, he's head of Special Projects, the division that's precisely tasked with acquiring discoveries.

Why is Burke able to give orders to the colony manager? Because he's head of Special Projects and works for W-Y, together with the colony manager, and the colony consists of W-Y employees with personnel from ECA acting operating as the local government on the rock.

Last, some asides from Cameron:

The reason why the alien distress beacon stopped working was because it was damaged by volcanic activity.

Aliens generally capture those who are weak and unarmed for cocooning while killing those who are armed and considered a greater threat to them.

The tactical nature of the aliens, with orders coming from the queen, was included to show that they are highly intelligent while the presence of the queen explains their life cycle rather than just repeat what was done in the first movie, i.e., with a storyline involving aliens coming from facehuggers that in turn came only from the eggs in the alien ship.

Alteration of the aliens, including the presence of "warriors," was meant to show that the aliens also operate in complex groups, and with specialization.

The main folly of humans is curiosity, e.g., given the presence of the dead, sole passenger on the alien ship not deterring the Nostromo crew or the Jordens.

One possible reason why Ripley got used to her surroundings after being gone for almost six decades is because technology plateaued. (Implicitly, this would have strongly motivated W-Y about her discovery, especially given the point about not seeing anything beyond simple organisms in hundreds of worlds. It also strengthens the point that the company didn't care and that Burke was some sort of Dick Dastardly as cartoonish.)

----

About giving "unpopolar" views, it helps if it turns out that Cameron's script, commentary, and a manual that's routinely used in this forum as reference backs them up.

More important, popularity doesn't count when it comes to analysis, and what's popular is a cartoon villain view of the movie.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Quote from: ralfy on Jul 14, 2023, 02:32:59 AMAlteration of the aliens, including the presence of "warriors," was meant to show that the aliens also operate in complex groups, and with specialization.

Any aliens that are "working alone" though?

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: kwisatz on Jul 14, 2023, 03:02:05 AM
Quote from: ralfy on Jul 14, 2023, 02:32:59 AMAlteration of the aliens, including the presence of "warriors," was meant to show that the aliens also operate in complex groups, and with specialization.

Check out the first movie.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: ralfy on Jul 14, 2023, 03:31:21 AM
Quote from: kwisatz on Jul 14, 2023, 03:02:05 AM

Check out the first movie.

So you agree then... it is possible for an individual to be part of a larger organization, yet still be working alone.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: ralfy on Jul 14, 2023, 02:32:59 AMAnd then there's working alone, i.e., making their own decisions, but still for the company. He acts on his own volition because he's head of Special Projects, which means he does not need to be prompted by higher ups (the ones who appointed him Director and probably even asked him to be the company representative during Ripley's hearing) to investigate this matter, but he still works for higher ups and the company. That also shows that the claim that the company didn't care doesn't make sense. That's my view, and it's more realistic.

It also helps that you also mention that he "gets a big fat paycheck" and would screw others over a percentage, as the paycheck and assigned percentage would be given by W-Y. In short, he was never working alone, i.e., independently of W-Y.

If that's your view, then I've no idea what the massive argument is, because that's what most people think.

Everybody knows he's employed by W-Y. Everybody knows that he's after a reward from W-Y.

Nobody thinks he's just working for himself, and that he, personally, stands to gain anything by being in personal possession of an alien. What would that do, other than get you killed?

When people are saying that he's working alone, they are meaning that the Company hasn't given him specific orders to do that, and that he is working of his own volition, on the basis that he thinks they have overlooked something of value, and he can get rewarded by being the one to show them so.

It's entirely possible you're just misinterpreting what everyone is saying.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed