Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,367,053 times)

Hive Tyrant

Hive Tyrant

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Feb 25, 2011, 09:09:57 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 25, 2011, 02:07:49 PM
The book was hardcore; much grittier than the film. Muldoon turning eggs into gas bombs and Hammond being eaten by Compys...wow.

What really surprised me though was how much dialogue from the book made it into the film verbatim. Don't think I've seen a book-based movie that's done the same thing.
On top of what AvatarIII said, No Country for Old Men, Mystic River, The Eiger Sanction, and The Shining are some more I can recall doing so.

American Psycho did it too. Almost every conversation and line of dialogue is taken directly from the book.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Feb 25, 2011, 09:31:46 PM
The novels and films work on a dinstinctly separate kind of story-telling.
The novels are dark, gritty, and extremely scientific - and their goal is not the story alone, but the message and thought around it. One of the things I like about the Crichton Literature is that Crichton almost never looses the possibility to enter up a scientifical speculation or reflection, or even historical notes (in Congo, hiyo, they helped me with Geography). He always gets up an excuse to talk about things along these lines, and I love that. The characters in the novels are also darker, they swear a whole lot more, some are even more 'mature' (Tim can't get his eyes off the legs of Ellie Sattler, for example), and the dialogues are way longer and more in depth.
The movies work on a kind-of different plan of storytelling. They tell a classic Sci-Fi story biased on spectacle and fable, rather than exploring down to the last detail the theme they revolve around - like the novels -. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a bad thing.
But I love both the novels and films - in different ways.

Sonuvabitch, I was gonna say that.

One thing with Crichton, though, is that when he wasn't careful, his message high-jacked the story and just ruined the book. Only happened once, though; State of Fear.

God, I couldn't stand that.

scarhunter92

scarhunter92

Quote from: Shasvre on Feb 25, 2011, 09:38:35 PM
When it comes to Jurassic Park, I love the novel as much as the movie. They're different, but equally good. When it comes to The Lost World however, I much prefer the novel.

This.

Elliott

Elliott

I personally love The Lost World. Jurassic Park III was hideous, though.

Jurassic Park: 10/10.
The Lost World: Jurassic Park: 9.5/10.
Jurassic Park reacharound: 6/10.

Keg

Keg

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Feb 26, 2011, 06:18:08 AM
The novels are dark, gritty, and extremely scientific - and their goal is not the story alone, but the message and thought around it. One of the things I like about the Crichton Literature is that Crichton almost never looses the possibility to enter up a scientifical speculation or reflection, or even historical notes (in Congo, hiyo, they helped me with Geography). He always gets up an excuse to talk about things along these lines, and I love that. The characters in the novels are also darker, they swear a whole lot more, some are even more 'mature' (Tim can't get his eyes off the legs of Ellie Sattler, for example), and the dialogues are way longer and more in depth.
The movies work on a kind-of different plan of storytelling. They tell a classic Sci-Fi story biased on spectacle and fable, rather than exploring down to the last detail the theme they revolve around - like the novels -. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a bad thing.

Sonuvabitch, I was gonna say that.

One thing with Crichton, though, is that when he wasn't careful, his message high-jacked the story and just ruined the book. Only happened once, though; State of Fear.

God, I couldn't stand that.

I really enjoyed State of Fear. Wasnt too keen on Next although it was a decent enough read. Never did read The Lost World although I did read Jurassic Park. Infact I think those are the only three Crichton books ive read.

Remonster

Remonster

Quote from: Galliruler on Feb 26, 2011, 09:57:41 PM

I second this. I thoroughly love The Lost World. JP3 was just too messy, and I found alot of it to just be kinda stupid.

DJ Pu$$yface

DJ Pu$$yface

Quote from: Remonster on Feb 26, 2011, 10:09:19 PM

I second this. I thoroughly love The Lost World. JP3 was just too messy, and I found alot of it to just be kinda stupid.

Thirded.

Keg

Keg

Fourthed-ed

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Keg on Feb 26, 2011, 10:03:54 PM
I really enjoyed State of Fear. Wasnt too keen on Next although it was a decent enough read. Never did read The Lost World although I did read Jurassic Park. Infact I think those are the only three Crichton books ive read.

The thing with State of Fear that really got me was the characters. I just felt it was incredibly stupid that this government agent was bringing a lawyer and a secretary along with him as he tried to stop terrorists. The whole thing just felt like an excuse for Crichton to bitch about how climate change isn't happening.

As for his other books, you should definitely check out Sphere. It's my favourite.

Bad Replicant

Bad Replicant

Quote from: DJ Pu$$yface on Feb 26, 2011, 10:23:42 PM

Thirded.
Quote from: Keg on Feb 26, 2011, 10:30:53 PM
Fourthed-ed

Fifthed.

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Quote from: Walk Evil Talk on Feb 26, 2011, 10:37:44 PM
Quote from: DJ Pu$$yface on Feb 26, 2011, 10:23:42 PM

Thirded.
Quote from: Keg on Feb 26, 2011, 10:30:53 PM
Fourthed-ed

Fithed.

Humbug, apart from the work of Postlethwaite and Winston.

Bad Replicant

Bad Replicant

It may partially be a nostalgia thing for me because I missed the first JP in the cinema (parents wouldn't have it) and had such a great time when I got to go see the sequel. I still remember seeing the trailer before Liar Liar and flipping out with excitement.   

First Blood

First Blood

I agree with SpaceMarines, in that State of Fear being a low point for him. It seemed more like a personal grievance than an acutal story. Sphere was fantastic; it was such a fun ride. The conversations between Norman & Co. with Jerry are ten times better in the novel; truly chilling. Another novel I adored was Timeline. Only Crichton can make time travel seem possible and so damn convincing.

I have to find time and read Pirate Latitudes, his last novel. Crichton writing pirates sounds f**king epic. 

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Not surprising since ever movie takes liberties with novels they may be based off of. What would you say the message behind TLW was? Never got the impression it had one akin to JP.

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

Quote from: Sharp Sticks on Feb 26, 2011, 10:38:52 PM
Humbug, apart from the work of Postlethwaite and Winston.

Agreed. But even then, Postlethwaite is completely wasted in the film, whilst Winston's effects never quite dazzle like they did in the first.

I mean they're still convincing enough, but there was never a shot that made me think 'Wow...'

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed