Your level of excitement for Alien Covenant...

Started by Pvt. Himmel, Nov 19, 2016, 03:48:28 PM

So how excited are you??

Super high in the Sky.
24 (55.8%)
Grounded... Play it safe.
17 (39.5%)
Non Existent.
2 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author
Your level of excitement for Alien Covenant... (Read 4,941 times)

Pvt. Himmel

So what's your level of excitement?? Seeing as how we have waited since 2012 for sequel  I mean over 4 years!!!

Enoch

I was never before excited about the movie like this. :D :laugh:

Corporal Hicks

I'm trying to keep it pretty grounded. Don't get me wrong - I'm excited there's a new film but I know how disappointed I was with Prometheus.

Pvt. Himmel

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 19, 2016, 03:55:26 PM
I'm trying to keep it pretty grounded. Don't get me wrong - I'm excited there's a new film but I know how disappointed I was with Prometheus.
I hear ya. For me there was some things that I didn't like, but hopefully this will put on the right track, and we don't have to wait so long for him to finish the story.

Enoch

Enoch

That's the case here, I loved Prometheus despite its writing flaws.
Main ideas were great and I really expect to see the continuation
of that smart philosophy flowing through the movie core.
I like action, pure horror, monster chasing the cat... but I prefer more
smart movies with a lot of symbolics etc.

That's what separates original Alien which is a horror but with a great amount of symbolics
and mystery and Prometheus which is a great philosophy-mythology-mystery mix
from Aliens, Alien3... and that shit of Resurrection. So Prometheus and Alien together have
that same spirit and that's why I liked Prometheus despite its flaws and periodical bad writing.

P.S. Just listening to Ridley Scott and  Sphaits/Lindelof Prometheus in-movie commentary.
I hear some understandable explanations of some poor/illogical/strange situations in Prometheus...

e.g. This part of commentary when Ridley discuss about pyramid scene draw my attention because
it was not discussed before (or I dont know about that discussion):

RIDLEY SCOTT: In the room, there is a mural on the ceiling... which looks it might be human... but it looks like a human--
It's very mysterious because it looks like a human in a form of distress. And maybe actually a human in terms of being sacrificed
to the idea of this evolution. Kind of, rather, what I call really dangerous creation. What they've created here is really
dangerous (*Engineers created black goo?). It's a little parallel to us, like if we have capsules of Ebola which is fundamentally incurable.
Once it's out, it's out...

I believe Ridley indeed  intended Engineers to be Space Jockey, that was even mentioned during in-movie
commentary (Lindelof spoke how that is dangerous because everybody expected some strange creature but then said its interesting after all that Space Jockey is humanoid because of that bigger picture) but I suspect he wants to make a twist regarding the overall idea that was presented in Prometheus. Prometheus was kind a move of perspective, we saw what characters saw and understood what they understood but they  were completely in the dark except one person, or rather robot - David. So in a funny kind of way, Prometheus story is a kind of illusion which can be completely transformed in Covenant. Ridley even spoke about this.

When commenting about opening scene Ridley asked the questions: Is this a scene from the past
or from the future and then said it could be on Earth but thats not so important. [from movie commentary]

There are even more ambiguous questions
e.g. Are Engineers gods? Not really says Ridley. Who is the god?
Was that an invitation on that cave painting or warning, who painted it?
Are there two opposed factions of those Engineers? Whats that black goo?
Why did the want to destroy their creation? etc. Answers are never going to be plain/final or direct,
that's the point; but those kind of questions point up  that there is more than meets the eye and ear.

You see the level of ambiguity developed in Prometheus and characters did not completely understood the bigger picture except mysterious and a bit sinister David:

In the scenes where David is looking over the writing above the door to the Big Head room Holloway asks if David can read the script. David answer was not yes or no (a robotic answer) but perhaps. Thats the most interesting thing... (he is hiding hes understanding of things from his masters/humans) ;)  The original story or state of thing is hidden in Davids memory because only he understood what was going on there on LV-223. His mysterious quotes like "Big things have small beginnings" or "To create one must first destroy" suggest that we ll see that true picture in the next movies.

KainSwiss

Two words "Ridley Scott"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gazz

I'm not at the same level I was when Prometheus was at this point, but then I rarely am about any film. I feel a pang of excitement when new information trickles through the usual places (mainly here), but my feet are firmly planted on the ground. In a way I'm probably enjoying the build up and chatter a little more this time around as a result of that.

Immortan Jonesy

The word is not disappointment. Actually I think Prometheus left me puzzled and to be honest I'm a little obsessed with all this new mythology, so my level of excitement is super high  8)

Stolen

- Ridley Scott
- Alien
- Sequel of Prometheus
- Michael Fassbender x2
- Ridley Scott
- Noomi Rapace
- Fiordland
- Ridley Scott
- Rated R

THIS

The excitement is palpable. And we haven't seen the teaser yet. The world will go crazy.

Ingwar

Alien: Covenant = Orgasmatron

Chris!(($$))!

I wanted to keep them grounded but who am I kidding. I'm a life long fan of this franchise. Shit is sky high.

Ingwar

Quote from: Chris!(($$))! on Nov 19, 2016, 10:24:48 PM
I wanted to keep them grounded but who am I kidding. I'm a life long fan of this franchise. Shit is sky high.
Exactly. Why kidding yourself? :) I claim that 99,99% people here are freaking excited about A:C. Some just pretend to not to be.

Xenomorphine

Ridley Scott hasn't directed a film I've really liked since 'Gladiator'. 'The Martian' felt mildly interesting up until the food issue was resolved, then that, too, underwhelmed me.

So, I've got zero expectations. I know it'll have nice cinematography, but in the wake of recycled quotes about how he'll supoosedly 'scare the shit out of us', I'm in very much wait-and-see mode.

Interested, but far from excited.

The Alien Predator

Indescribably excited!

Necronomicon II

I guess I'm not super hyped, but recent positive tweets about the quality of the script and story, Waterston's body language when asked how scary the film will be, Mr Kenny Powers himself saying that it's a straight up horror film with no comic relief, not one but two Fassbender performances, Ridley coming right off his critical and nerd success with The Martian, all of that has me pretty excited so screw it. Nothing will ever surpass the original, I just don't think that's remotely possible, but Covenant won't need to, it just has to be genuinely bloody good, and I think Scott has learnt from the feedback, as Haag revealed that via Seagers he wasn't entirely happy with the direction of Prometheus, so I think it'll come together much better overall this time around. The prospect of seeing the big chap once more on the big screen, not to mention eggs and facehuggers, just gives me a raging fanboy boner. We need this, the franchise needs this, so I hope it nails it and expands the mythology; answer some things, but respect the mystery. Bring it home Ridley!   

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed