Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance

Started by RidgeTop, Sep 30, 2015, 06:29:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance (Read 197,161 times)

426Buddy

I think it just depends on the artist really, not so much the era. I think Dormans variant for Prometheus L&D is amazing though.

There have been stinkers and great ones since the Aliens comics have started. To be honest though, while the Defiance covers are decent, the style isnt really up my alley either.

The interior art for Defiance is phenominal though, the art is some of the best ive seen for an alien series. It's right up there with Nelson, Plunkett, and den beauvais.

XenoZipper

Yea that's true too. I guess today's artists just aren't really my taste but I do agree the interior arts I have no problem with & the stories are still good. At the same time though a lot of times, the cover of a comic will either make or break it for me of whether I pick it up or not. I don't completely hate the art of the covers, but yea they're just not really up my alley for the kind of art I like. I actually wouldn't mind seeing an Alien comic done by someone from the world of the Heavy Metal comics. I always loved those covers

Perfect-Organism

I started reading the Aliens series with issue 2 of the very first Mark A. Nelson, Mark Verheiden series.  Back in those days, the interior artist was also the exterior artist.  This was a great arrangement because it allowed the interior art style to shine through, and the reader got a good idea of what to expect from the inside.  When Aliens: Earth War rolled around, this approach was shelved.  For some reason, we didn't get to see Sam Kieth's art on the exterior of the books, and we were introduced to the artistic stylings of John Bolton.  Perhaps in that case, wisdom prevailed.  This system has been in effect ever since those days (on and off) sometimes to good effect and other times, not so much.

I believe that we are at a stage now where the art inside the book is more appealing than the art on the covers.  The cover art is not bad in and of itself, it is just not on the same level as what is happening on the interior.  Mind you, the workmanship of the exterior art is of a very high level.  It just doesn't carry the vibe of the interior, and that vibe is sheer magic.

Ultramorph

There's a review of #2 up now. It's very positive, but beware of spoilers.
https://popcultureuncovered.com/2016/05/17/review-brew-aliens-defiance-2/

I can't wait to see
Spoiler
Tristan's take on the queen!
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Urgh. Can this wait be over! I'm looking forward to seeing Tristan's hive!

426Buddy

426Buddy

Finally got issue #1!

I loved it, art is simply top notch and it feels very in-universe and very cinematic for a comic. Great start with and intriguing story, I can't wait for issue #2 to get here. This is gonna be a great series. I can't wait to see the tpb and what art they'll use.

Spoiler
Did I see some eggmorphing on some monitors in this issue? I think I did, I can't stress how awesome the art is in this series.
[close]

Russ840

Quote from: 420Buddy on May 21, 2016, 03:08:41 AM
Finally got issue #1!

I loved it, art is simply top notch and it feels very in-universe and very cinematic for a comic. Great start with and intriguing story, I can't wait for issue #2 to get here. This is gonna be a great series. I can't wait to see the tpb and what art they'll use.

Spoiler
Did I see some eggmorphing on some monitors in this issue? I think I did, I can't stress how awesome the art is in this series.
[close]

Yes you did mate. Tristan confirmed this and said he is bringing it back and fitting it in to the cycle.

426Buddy

Quote from: Russ840 on May 21, 2016, 05:59:00 AM
Quote from: 420Buddy on May 21, 2016, 03:08:41 AM
Finally got issue #1!

Spoiler
[close]

Yes you did mate. Tristan confirmed this and said he is bringing it back and fitting it in to the cycle.

I knew it had been confirmed but I didn't know we would get a glimpse in the first issue  :)

tyrannosaurusjones

You may not see it again until around #12 though... Also, if you like what you're seeing, make sure you write to Dark Horse and let them know! We have plans for beyond #12, but it sorta relies on you guys keeping us afloat a bit ;)

Ultramorph

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on May 21, 2016, 02:23:33 PM
You may not see it again until around #12 though... Also, if you like what you're seeing, make sure you write to Dark Horse and let them know! We have plans for beyond #12, but it sorta relies on you guys keeping us afloat a bit ;)

Will do! I hope to see this go on for as long as possible.

426Buddy

Quote from: Ultramorph on May 21, 2016, 02:39:39 PM
Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on May 21, 2016, 02:23:33 PM

Will do! I hope to see this go on for as long as possible.

I agree! I'll write them and let them know how great this series is.

Lonely Universe

Just read issue 1.

Outstanding.

There hasn't been anything of this quality since the heyday of DH's Alien comics in the early 90's. So glad they got a good colorist for Tristan's art!

Corporal Hicks

160 pages? How many issues is that? About 5?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed