Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance

Started by RidgeTop, Sep 30, 2015, 06:29:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance (Read 196,413 times)

Whiskeybrewer

Man its brilliant. The artwork is fantastic and such a great short :)

Xenomrph

What are the odds it gets collected in a Defiance trade paperback/"complete" collection, like the Hicks story did with Fire and Stone?

426Buddy

426Buddy

I picked up the free comic. Was a lil confusing since I have not been able to get a copy of defiance one yet. It appears to be a snippet of a comic coming later in the series I'm not sure. I thought it was going to be a prequel story. Art was great and it was pretty cool. Wish they had used an aliens cover instead of serenity

DemonicD13

Got my free comic today, it is awesome. I think this run will soon become my favorite, possibly even beating labyrinth. The story is fantastic and I absolutely love the cohesion it brings to the series: The lunar base that looks like the Mars base from Prometheus, the various sets that look like they come from the Nostromo, the HG 37 and Seegson from Isolation, Dropships and pulse rifles from Aliens and now the M39 SMG from Colonial Marines. And say what you like about Aliens Colonial Marines but some of the designs were fantastic.

Now we just need some set designs from Alien 3.

Ultramorph

Can you give us a run-down of what happens in the free comic?

Perfect-Organism

This free comic came from out of nowhere unless I missed something.  I hope that does not mean that I missed out on this issue, as I really want to own this complete series.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on May 08, 2016, 04:51:46 AM
This free comic came from out of nowhere unless I missed something.  I hope that does not mean that I missed out on this issue, as I really want to own this complete series.

It was announced sometime ago.

DemonicD13

The free comic takes place at an unspecified point in time after the first issue.

Spoiler

In it, Zula and a female named Dr. Hollis are on the Europa. They are cornered by a number of aliens, it does not specify where they have come from. One can only assume that the crew of the Europa picked up Dr. Hollis and more aliens while at LV-44-40. Meanwhile the Europa is in an uncontrolled reentry with a planet designated W76. To save the women Davis blows a hatch sucking the women and the aliens out into the planet's atmosphere. Davis adjusts the reentry of the ship so the women can get back onboard. From there Zula uses a M39 SMG to blast an alien off the hull.
[close]

It is obviously short, and I wonder if it is just a snip-it from an upcoming comic. Which is a little disappointing. I was hoping for a little prequel, something about Zula's past, which would add to the overall story, not just a preview. Still very cool, the artwork and storytelling are top notch.

Xenomorphine

As the first issue came out on the iPad from Dark horse's on-line store, I read the first issue. Seemed OK, so far, in terms of atmosphere (felt similar to the original 'Book 1' vibe).

I do agree, however, that a certain cameo felt as forced as it was (or at least seemed) inconsequential. Unless something is done with it later on, it seems like it would have been better without it.

Also, as someone else referenced... The synthetic contradictions:

Spoiler
I felt a little confused, firstly, at why Weyland-Yutani would have synthetics specifically built for acting like human soldiers. It's one of those things which is often in the games, but never makes much sense. If you're wanting what amounts to a weaponised drone, then there's no point in making it so fragile and humanoid. Something like that should look properly armoured and like Skynet designed it. Something you really could picture being commercially successful by being put on battlefields or corporate security detail.

It never felt terribly logical when it happened in 'Book 1' and it doesn't feel very logical here.

Nevertheless, what really made me WTF, is the synthetic who just, as was pointed out, decide to go against its very programming. Computers don't work like that... Directives are just that: Directives. It would go about its business until something contradicted those directives. It can't just go, "Yeah, don't want to do that..." That's the whole point of being a walking computer! :)

And, to make it stranger, the lead character even points this out to the readers and then no longer seems to care.

Now, if I was being sneaky, I might think to myself that this is not, in fact, as contradictory as it appears. That maybe the synthetic is lying and there's some kind of dastardly plan underway. But having the lead character not realise how much of a whiff of bullshit that gives off, makes her seem... Not exactly the brightest.
[close]

HuDaFuK

Quote from: DemonicD13 on May 08, 2016, 12:49:21 PMIt is obviously short, and I wonder if it is just a snip-it from an upcoming comic. Which is a little disappointing.

That does suck. I was hoping it'd be an original tie-in.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 08, 2016, 07:45:34 AM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on May 08, 2016, 04:51:46 AM

It was announced sometime ago.

Oh, in that case it went completely over my head.  My bad.

Ultramorph

The free comic is now available on Dark Horse digital, for free of course!

Corporal Hicks

https://digital.darkhorse.com/profile/6796.free-comic-book-day-2016-serenity/

Links, God damnit people!  :laugh: I love that they've released that on the web. That's a classy move. Just about to check it out now.

HuDaFuK

Just given it a read. It does seem to be a snippet from a future issue with perhaps some altered text to make it a little more "trailery", which is a shame. I'd hoped it would be a fresh side story.

Liked the inclusion of the ACM SMG though. And was that meant to be a Praetorian...?

Corporal Hicks

It seems like a snippet at first glance but I think it was written specifically as a tease for this.

Looks like a Praetorian. Tristan had some artwork on his DeviantArt of a Praetorian that looks badass. I think he's kept the same approach for the comic.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed