Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance

Started by RidgeTop, Sep 30, 2015, 06:29:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance (Read 196,387 times)

SM

SM

Yeah it's a couple of days after Isolation.

I read Davis simply as having conflicting priorities.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Apr 29, 2016, 01:23:59 AM

Also, I really, really, really, love your blog. Great source of thought out posts and reference material!

Its a great, great blog based on facts and facts only, but its not mine ;)

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 29, 2016, 07:31:40 AM
Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Apr 29, 2016, 01:23:59 AM
Also, I really, really, really, love your blog. Great source of thought out posts and reference material!

I know this is silly but I never noticed you had a link to Valaquen's blog in your signature, Shapes. Do you help him out?

I help him out in small ways, but me and Johnny (Valaquen) go waaaaay back and we're very good online buddies for a very long time, and we both are staff members of JamesCameronOnline, hence why the two in my signature.Well that and I think theyre great fan sources based on facts only that shed a lot of light on different things and debunk many fan myths.

QuoteYou wont be disappointed. I absolutely loved #1 and would recommend everyone go pick it off. It's an absolutely solid start to the series in story and artwork terms. It feels fresh in the story but it also feels so right in the artwork. It all just works. I can't wait to see more! I'm getting extra copies for Shevvie - who hates comics but loves Alien - and I'm really curious to see how he reacts to this!

For me, Fire and Stone really surprised me at how really good it was. Terrific vibe and feel also, and I thought to myself that its unlikely anything's gonna match it anytime soon because I thought its the best Alien story since Apocalypse. Reading the whole thread made it too tempting for me not to pick up Defiance tho and give it a chance

Defiance imo feels very Isolation oriented, which is terrific. I like the inclusion of the synthetics, good or bad, they look creepy as hell. The artwork shines the most, very Plunkett-like, very horror-like even thought we havent really gotten any horrific moments yet (cant wait to see the eggmoprhing). Someone here criticized the book for the Alien design...umm, from what I see, and trust me, Im a nut about the details of the alien designs, its the same alien as we know it from Alien and Aliens (they were nearly identical). Same guy claimed its the ADI design which is as ill informed as can be, because the ADI designs were completely different than those of the first two movies. Yes, there is the inclusion of ADI's hips/pelvis area which werent there in the original two and the feet belong to the Isolation, but in no way you can call these ADI aliens

Overall, interesting, albeit brief, beginning and btw it was the last copy on the stands that I picked up

Valaquen

Quote from: Valaquen on Apr 30, 2016, 07:50:40 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 29, 2016, 07:31:40 AM
I know this is silly but I never noticed you had a link to Valaquen's blog in your signature, Shapes. Do you help him out?

I help him out in small ways, but me and Johnny (Valaquen) go waaaaay back and we're very good online buddies for a very long time, and we both are staff members of JamesCameronOnline, hence why the two in my signature.Well that and I think theyre great fan sources based on facts only that shed a lot of light on different things and debunk many fan myths.

Yeah, StrangeShape and I go way, way back (and if there's a cool image at the header of an article on the blog, it's his work!) It's all good  8)

Randomizer

Randomizer

Finished this yesterday. I was amazed at Amanda's cameo appearance and the plot did bring out some interesting concepts. It definitely has an Isolation vibe and it's not just because of her presence.

EDIT:
Spoiler

Why do I get the feeling that the story will be divided into 2 or 3 parts (read: Xenomorph infested stations) spread over 3-4 issues each?
[close]

HuDaFuK

Just read the first issue.

I've said before how I'm really not a fan of comics, but I genuinely enjoyed this and look forward to the next one. I liked how it had a measured pace and was mostly just story set-up, and I liked that said set-up was genuinely interesting. Davis seems like he has potential to be an interesting character. The Ripley cameo honestly felt a tad forced but all the same I liked that it was there and that the comic references the game. The art is superb.

Yeah, liked it a lot.

Russ840

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 01, 2016, 07:02:45 PM
Just read the first issue.

I've said before how I'm really not a fan of comics, but I genuinely enjoyed this and look forward to the next one. I liked how it had a measured pace and was mostly just story set-up, and I liked that said set-up was genuinely interesting. Davis seems like he has potential to be an interesting character. The Ripley cameo honestly felt a tad forced but all the same I liked that it was there and that the comic references the game. The art is superb.

Yeah, liked it a lot.

Dude. I am pleased you liked it. Being a comic fan and seeing that that medium is not you normal foray, it's great to see this book reaching you. I thought it was excellent.

T Dog

So is Defiance monthly or bi-weekly?

SM

SM

Both Defiance and Life & Death are monthly.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Another tease from the wonderful Tristan.

Russ840

Read this for a third time today. Love it. I never read a comic a second time, so quickly, let alone three times.

When is issue 2 released ?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 28, 2016, 11:34:49 AM
It was just insanely petty on my part. It was a Conestoga-alike ship with Nostromo styled interior and a Seegson OS. Did nothing to diminish the experience but just struck me as a little odd.

I take that back actually. I was re-reading the comic before work this morning and they make a point of mentioning the Seegson OS on the ship as it's a Seegson owned ship.

tyrannosaurusjones

FREE COMIC DAY, FOLKS!! Make sure you get in and grab yourselves the Defiance short! It's a fun glimpse into the future... ;)

Whiskeybrewer

That the one in the same comic as Serenity and Hellboy? If so i already got it ;)

Corporal Hicks

Then give it a flick through and tell us!  :laugh:

If I can get my Mrs to get out of bed, should hopefully be going out to pick one up.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed