Shane Black To Write and Direct Predator Reboot!

Started by 85, Jun 24, 2014, 07:34:28 PM

Author
Shane Black To Write and Direct Predator Reboot! (Read 93,352 times)

Aspie

future setting plz

DoomRulz

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 25, 2014, 03:59:31 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 25, 2014, 03:53:41 PMGlover has a trunk full of handguns at the ready. That wasn't ridiculous to you? And all of L.A. is depicted as Omaha Beach in the level of violence.
I don't think you comprehend quite how mind-bogglingly stupid the idea of carrying around and firing a minigun is. Next to that, having a few shooters in your trunk is pretty much common sense.

Predator 2 is mad, sure. But it's by no means more mad than the first one.

Yes, firing a minigun by hand is 100% unrealistic. I understand. But so is having multiple handguns ready to go at a moment's notice, directly on the underside of your trunk.

You know, perhaps you're right about Predator 2 not being crazier than Predator, but Predator did a better job with its overall presentation, IMO.

OpenMaw

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 25, 2014, 03:46:44 PM
Also Arnie shoots a guy through a wall. (As in he shoots the guy, and he flies through the wall!)

It could happen, you don't know.  :D

Predator was aiming for an "exaggerated" reality. Predator 2 has an almost instantly dated "near future" where the bad guys are packing some of the strangest and heavy firepower they could possibly find, as if this were a gun-control advocates worst nightmare. Plus, I think the performances in Predator are much more grounded and believable within the context of the film's world. The characters in P2 feel rather stiff. Leona in particular always came off as incredibly phony to me. The acting in that first scene in particular... Bill Paxton, as much as I love em, is just playing himself. Danny is a complete flatline. Harrigan is the only one who matches up with the cast of the original.

All the characters in the original film did have their traits, and were instantly identifiable in more than just two dimensions. And yes, given the time the film was made, and the content therein I would quantify some of the character traits as "subtle" by comparison to everything around them.

hfeldhaus

I can see it now. A witty condemnation of US forces in the middle east. Told from the perspective of a seal unit and a group of insurgents in the Afghan mountains with a predator picking them off. Insurgents think it's some Allah dude and the Americans get all paranoid it's the Russians.

Ultramorph

Quote from: MudButt on Jun 25, 2014, 04:00:15 PM
Would you folk prefer modern time, futuristic setting, or a period piece film?

Since we don't want a jungle again, or a city.

I would really like to see a future setting for a Predator movie, something along the lines of the Concrete Jungle game. A period setting could be cool, too, if done with some care.

Doctor_Foster

Doctor_Foster

I'm just hoping its a new instalment to the series and not a rehashed copy of the first film, if they find a way to have Arnold Schwarzenegger to return I'm all for it.

hfeldhaus

Don't think it will have the budget to go too far into the future

Blacklabel

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 25, 2014, 03:46:44 PM
A man fires a minigun handheld. There is literally nothing as ridiculous as that in the sequel.

Also Arnie shoots a guy through a wall. (As in he shoots the guy, and he flies through the wall!)

Fanboys + Nostalgia = Taking shit way too seriously since the 80's.

Spoonman101

Umm Predator 2 was based in the future....

On top of that notion, quit saying that "the movie should be like this."

Last time a director paid attention to the fans we got Aliens vs Predator: Requiem...

hfeldhaus

Quote from: Spoonman101 on Jun 25, 2014, 04:48:43 PM

Last time a director paid attention to the fans we got Aliens vs Predator: Requiem...

7 years in the future... People mean the future in that a 100 year's from now.

The Ultimate Predator

Mostly excited, as I love Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, but I really disliked Iron Man 3. Sill, fingers crossed :)

Spoonman101

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Jun 25, 2014, 05:07:58 PM
Quote from: Spoonman101 on Jun 25, 2014, 04:48:43 PM

7 years in the future... People mean the future in that a 100 year's from now.

I understand now.
Honestly you can put a predator in a highschool and depending how you twist it the potential could be there.

Ultramorph

Quote from: Spoonman101 on Jun 25, 2014, 05:12:22 PM
Honestly you can put a predator in a highschool and depending how you twist it the potential could be there.

Predator in high school? They made that already. It's called AvP:R.  :laugh:

DoomRulz

Quote from: MudButt on Jun 25, 2014, 04:00:15 PM
Would you folk prefer modern time, futuristic setting, or a period piece film?

Since we don't want a jungle again, or a city.

Modern time, in the desert. Round out the environments that are used.

Spoonman101

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jun 25, 2014, 05:14:22 PM
Quote from: Spoonman101 on Jun 25, 2014, 05:12:22 PM

Predator in high school? They made that already. It's called AvP:R.  :laugh:
"The stoner kid with the dread locks"

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed