CONGRATS FOR REAL! Playable Females in Multiplayer!

Started by Moosh89, Jun 08, 2012, 04:29:11 AM

Author
CONGRATS FOR REAL! Playable Females in Multiplayer! (Read 112,476 times)

PVTDukeMorrison

Moosh89

Quote from: shadowedge on Jul 05, 2012, 12:25:40 AM
Dang! 590 sigs!

Have you considered sending it to the Mary Sue? http://www.themarysue.com/

Hah!, Never heard of them before, excellent reference, email sent!

Thanks again shadowedge!

611 on my count now, we'll be reaching 1,000 signatures in no time

Predaker

Quote from: Ash 937 on Jul 04, 2012, 09:24:04 PM
Great...

Now they are going to delay the game again just to add playable female characters.

Puh-leeze. Cry me a river.  :P

ShadowPred

641 just now.

Predaker

Wow! This is gonna blow up.

What now, Pitchford?  ;D

WinterActual

WinterActual

Great...

Now they are going to delay the game again just to add playable female characters.
Yeah, I said the same in the GBX forums but no one listen. But I don't think GBX will add playable female chars. Its not worth the effort. 660 people signed the petition, lets imagine that everybody buy the game so 660 copies. Maybe it will cost more to GBX to make playable fem chars.

scm

I'm honestly surprised they didn't include them.

FightFinda

FightFinda

Quote from: Predaker on Jul 05, 2012, 04:59:14 AM
Great...

You quite clearly are in no position to make such a statement. If they delay this again just because a load of disgruntled females are complaining on a forum, I and many others will be p*ssed. I agree that some of the ALIENS movie's iconic characters are female and that the game should have had them included from the beginning, but if they've already made their decision; it ain't worth risking another delay - especially since we won't even be able to see who we are playing as the marines are controlled from a first person persective.

shadowedge

Quote from: FightFinda on Jul 05, 2012, 06:54:55 AM
Great...

You quite clearly are in no position to make such a statement. If they delay this again just because a load of disgruntled females are complaining on a forum, I and many others will be p*ssed. I agree that some of the ALIENS movie's iconic characters are female and that the game should have had them included from the beginning, but if they've already made their decision; it ain't worth risking another delay - especially since we won't even be able to see who we are playing as since the marines are in a first person persective.

It is not just females who are upset over this. This kind of thing crosses over to both genders.

One of the main themes on the Alien series is strong female characters, this was back before they were a common thing in movies. Gearbox wants to make the ultimate Aliens game, and this is a core concept to the series. No playable female marines in the perfect Aliens game is like no Batman in a Batman game.

FightFinda

Quote from: shadowedge on Jul 05, 2012, 07:00:39 AM
Great...

You quite clearly are in no position to make such a statement. If they delay this again just because a load of disgruntled females are complaining on a forum, I and many others will be p*ssed. I agree that some of the ALIENS movie's iconic characters are female and that the game should have had them included from the beginning, but if they've already made their decision; it ain't worth risking another delay - especially since we won't even be able to see who we are playing as since the marines are in a first person persective.

It is not just females who are upset over this. This kind of thing crosses over to both genders.

One of the main themes on the Alien series is strong female characters, this was back before they were a common thing in movies. Gearbox wants to make the ultimate Aliens game, and this is a core concept to the series. No playable female marines in the perfect Aliens game is like no Batman in a Batman game.

I respect that answer, and I would be all up for them getting in some playable females IF they can get them in there before February. Don't get me wrong as I'm not a soft kid but in my honest opinion, I just don't think it's worth it if it will mean another delay, mainly due to the fact that the marines are played in first person. As far as I'm concerned, when viewed in this point of view, I am the marine and sex doesn't come into my head when I'm playing. Were it third person on the other hand, this would be a very different story as it would be hard for me to consider myself a female marine if I could see my character was built like a shed and had a full beard.

I am not a game designer so I don't know how much time, effort and/or money this inclusion would take, which is another reason why I am not pushing the idea.

On a side note, I'm just assuming that they've confirmed there won't be playable females. I'm not questioning the foundations of this thread by any stretch, but is there any chance someone could provide me with a link to the interview (or whatever form the confirmation took place) where they stated females wouldn't be playable, just out of interest. Much abliged.

WinterActual

There was just 1 strong female char. All other females died like the males. All female marines in Aliens died. In ACM all the players are playing with marines. We all are going to die eventually, no matter the gender. Its not about "the strong female char" anymore.

shadowedge

shadowedge

Quote from: Voodoo Actual on Jul 05, 2012, 09:26:00 AM

There was just 1 strong female char. All other females died like the males. All female marines in Aliens died. In ACM all the players are playing with marines. We all are going to die eventually, no matter the gender. Its not about "the strong female char" anymore.

You gotta be tough to make it to the marines man! Vasquez was just the one who was the toughest.

I think the main issue is that Aliens was responsible for being the first big name movie to do two things:

1. Being the first blockbuster to showcase two very strong female action hero leads. This wasn't some cheesy 60s sexploitation film, this was a mainstream hit. Without this there would be no Buffy, Xena, River Tam, Laura Croft, etc. Aliens paved the way for them, and for the public to accept them as mainstream box office draws. This is what Aliens is known for doing. Strong female characters is a main theme of the entire series, that even spread to the AVP films. Even the computer was MUTHUR.

You could argue that Terminator 1 was first with Sarah Conner in 1984, but she didn't become the badass she is known for until the 2nd film a few years later in 1991. In Terminator 1 she was kind of clumsy 20 something waitress.

2. The female marine thing was treated as a non-issue. They were not special case or a rarity. They were just there, same as the guys. I think that the world that Aliens take place in is very gender neutral, everyone has an equal opportunity at things. There wasn't just one token female marine, there were three. Even the boardroom scene in Aliens had couple female executives in it.

For comparison look at a modern film like Battle Los Angeles. There was like 1 female soldier in the entire movie.

You are right though, regardless of the gender, players are going to be dieing...a lot.

WinterActual

"Strong female char" is done to death. Its overused. Every movie nowadays is with platoon full of soldiers who die but ofc some girl survives. I am tired of this. Every horror movie I watch and I know how it will end - the girl survives, gg all. How original really... Maybe it was good by the time of A1,2 but now its not cool. And its not realistic but its a movie so thats not the point entirely, the point is that its already boring movies to end this way.

Predaker

Great...

You quite clearly are in no position to make such a statement. If they delay this again just because a load of disgruntled females are complaining on a forum, I and many others will be p*ssed. I agree that some of the ALIENS movie's iconic characters are female and that the game should have had them included from the beginning, but if they've already made their decision; it ain't worth risking another delay - especially since we won't even be able to see who we are playing as the marines are controlled from a first person persective.

Chill out. I said that because I don't think gearbox will delay the game. If they did, it won't be from adding something simple like playable female marines in multiplayer. Use your head, people! :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed