CONGRATS FOR REAL! Playable Females in Multiplayer!

Started by Moosh89, Jun 08, 2012, 04:29:11 AM

Author
CONGRATS FOR REAL! Playable Females in Multiplayer! (Read 111,741 times)

shadowedge

Quote from: Voodoo Actual on Jul 05, 2012, 06:10:44 PM
Quote from: Sinncrow on Jul 05, 2012, 06:04:36 PM
Financially, it MIGHT work out for them.
No. Another delay and another disappointment of the fans will cost 'em much, VERY much, this time.

I don't know if it would cost them at all really. Alien fans are going to pick this up no matter what, and assuming the game is good, sales will pick up.

FightFinda

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jul 05, 2012, 09:03:01 PM
All of you people that think this game is going to face another delay for Gearbox implementing existing female character models into the customization roster... my god, dunk your heads in a bucket of ice water.
Apologies, you are obviously a game designer and know how long it will take to do all the recalibrations for all aspects of the female marines ::). I am more concerned about how long it would take to implement things such as death animations, grapple animations, voice actors (if they're in MP), female-specific customisation options (if customisation is in), mocap etc. rather than the models themselves (they could easily be imported from SP campaign).

In answer to SpaceMarines point, it is quite likely a lot of the marine deaths in the campaign will be scripted, e.g. pulled through floor grates, dragged from cieling etc. so unless they have their fair share of regular 'opportunistically random' deaths with reuseable animations for the dieing females (which will already be in the minority), it's going to be mo-cap ahoy, and I honestly don't know how long that will take. You might say they could use the same animations from the males, but I don't believe it would look right considering how a male would naturally behave compared to a female and as Voodoo said, the differing skeletal structures.

You must also keep in mind that the release date was pushed back for a reason, and it is likely that they have they're own more pressing (possibly gamebreaking) issues to attend to, rather than the cosmetic inclusion of playable females. If GBX decide to implement females before release, I am positive they will delay the release further if they believe they will be 'cutting it close' in terms of the game's completion. I am concerned that in the long run, if the game is delayed again for the inclusion of playable females, it will severely impact sales - people don't like getting f*cked about (especially dedicated fans) and I worry that the sales may reflect this. I just don't think GBX will gain much more sales than they already would have without their inclusion, possibly losing more due to the delay  :-[.
Poor sales means no sequel.

Quote from: Moosh89 on Jul 05, 2012, 02:15:04 PM
Quote from: FightFinda on Jul 05, 2012, 06:54:55 AM
You quite clearly are in no position to make such a statement. If they delay this again just because a load of disgruntled females are complaining on a forum, I and many others will be p*ssed.
We are not a "load of disgruntled females complaining on a forum", in fact if you look at the signatures on the petition, you will find the majority are Males.

I believe that the majority of members who have signed the petition are male. What I don't believe is that the majority of the men will skip the game if females aren't included or are particulary bothered either way, it's just courteous to sign as it's supporting other fan's beliefs. I myself was originally going to sign and I completely understand your reasoning (as I previously stressed), but after looking into it further and taking into account both sides of the story, it's in my opinion that the possible trade off might not be worth it.
Especially since the marines are controlled 1st person and the only possible thing that would give away the fact that your playing as a male would be the voices (if they're even in) and possible grunts and groans, I don't know whether you guys debating "pro-petition" are deliberately side-stepping this point but regardless, I don't think GBX have side-stepped this point and it could be one of the reasons why they have apparently decided to not bother with the hassle of making female characters playable.

Sorry for the long post and I don't wish to aggravate anyone, I just think I and the other members arguing the 'anti-petition' side of things have made some valid points that could bring a new light to the subject. It's just a friendly debate, we are all fans and want the best for the game, ALIEN series, and gamers. Just my two penneth.  ;)

shadowedge

shadowedge

The petition is nearly at 1500 signatures!

Several more sites have picked it up:

http://www.vg247.com/2012/07/04/lack-of-females-in-colonial-marines-multiplayer-leads-to-petition/comment-page-2/

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/where-are-the-females-in-aliens-colonial-marines/099053

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118287-Petition-Demands-Female-Jarheads-in-Aliens-Colonial-Marines

http://gamerant.com/aliens-colonial-marines-female-characters-johnj-158418/

http://www.gamezone.com/products/aliens-colonial-marines/news/we-want-female-characters-in-aliens-colonial-marines-multiplayer

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/20438/aliens-colonial-marines-petition-asks-for-female-characters

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/307616,gender-wars-no-vasquez-ripley-ferro-or-any-females-in-colonial-marines-multiplayer.aspx

Quote from: FightFinda on Jul 05, 2012, 10:21:22 PM
Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jul 05, 2012, 09:03:01 PM
All of you people that think this game is going to face another delay for Gearbox implementing existing female character models into the customization roster... my god, dunk your heads in a bucket of ice water.
Apologies, you are obviously a game designer and know how long it will take to do all the recalibrations for all aspects of the female marines ::). I am more concerned about how long it would take to implement things such as death animations, grapple animations, voice actors (if they're in MP), female-specific customisation options (if customisation is in), mocap etc. rather than the models themselves (they could easily be imported from SP campaign).

In answer to SpaceMarines point, it is quite likely a lot of the marine deaths in the campaign will be scripted, e.g. pulled through floor grates, dragged from cieling etc. so unless they have their fair share of regular 'opportunistically random' deaths with reuseable animations for the dieing females (which will already be in the minority), it's going to be mo-cap ahoy, and I honestly don't know how long that will take. You might say they could use the same animations from the males, but I don't believe it would look right considering how a male would naturally behave compared to a female and as Voodoo said, the differing skeletal structures.

You must also keep in mind that the release date was pushed back for a reason, and it is likely that they have they're own more pressing (possibly gamebreaking) issues to attend to, rather than the cosmetic inclusion of playable females. If GBX decide to implement females before release, I am positive they will delay the release further if they believe they will be 'cutting it close' in terms of the game's completion. I am concerned that in the long run, if the game is delayed again for the inclusion of playable females, it will severely impact sales - people don't like getting f*cked about (especially dedicated fans) and I worry that the sales may reflect this. I just don't think GBX will gain much more sales than they already would have without their inclusion, possibly losing more due to the delay  :-[.
Poor sales means no sequel.

Quote from: Moosh89 on Jul 05, 2012, 02:15:04 PM
Quote from: FightFinda on Jul 05, 2012, 06:54:55 AM
You quite clearly are in no position to make such a statement. If they delay this again just because a load of disgruntled females are complaining on a forum, I and many others will be p*ssed.
We are not a "load of disgruntled females complaining on a forum", in fact if you look at the signatures on the petition, you will find the majority are Males.

I believe that the majority of members who have signed the petition are male. What I don't believe is that the majority of the men will skip the game if females aren't included or are particulary bothered either way, it's just courteous to sign as it's supporting other fan's beliefs. I myself was originally going to sign and I completely understand your reasoning (as I previously stressed), but after looking into it further and taking into account both sides of the story, it's in my opinion that the possible trade off might not be worth it.
Especially since the marines are controlled 1st person and the only possible thing that would give away the fact that your playing as a male would be the voices (if they're even in) and possible grunts and groans, I don't know whether you guys debating "pro-petition" are deliberately side-stepping this point but regardless, I don't think GBX have side-stepped this point and it could be one of the reasons why they have apparently decided to not bother with the hassle of making female characters playable.

Sorry for the long post and I don't wish to aggravate anyone, I just think I and the other members arguing the 'anti-petition' side of things have made some valid points that could bring a new light to the subject. It's just a friendly debate, we are all fans and want the best for the game, ALIEN series, and gamers. Just my two penneth.  ;)

You make a good and well thought out argument man.

That said I am going to respectfully disagree. Female gamers make up about 40% of the gaming population. What kind of games they tend to gravitate to, I am not sure, but if any hardcore game can bring in a large number of new female fans, Aliens can. This can also be a big PR opportunity for Gearbox if they do this, and that may help them increase profits with future games as well. Aside from Perfect Dark and L4D2, not many FPS have female options. I think Gears of War 3 had one, but I have never played it beyond the first game.

You are absolutely right about the extra work that will be required for this to happen. I am not sure exactly how much is needed though (I have no experience with making games) since the SP 3rd person models/skeleton/first person female character views and animations already exist.

MR EL1M1NATOR

Will sign this, and also share it on my avp facebook page, it's got a few thousand likes so should help get some more signs! Would be really cool if gearbox do this.

https://www.facebook.com/avpdotnet

Divpax

Although I agree that Females should be playable in multiplayer (however not at the expense of another bloody delay) but I don't believe for a second adding female models to multiplayer will increase sales or profits, that's just absurd. People, regardless of gender, will buy this because they are fans of alien and/or action games, not because they can play as Vasquez.

Also, am I the only one who doesn't like the idea of customisable character models in multiplayer at all?

thecaffeinatedone

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Jul 05, 2012, 09:32:40 PM
Thing is, it wouldn't push the date back further, for reasons Sweeper quite clearly explained. They wouldn't have to make a new skeleton or develop new character animations, because female models and animations already exist within the game.

Oh well, then, there you go. :p I stand corrected.

brokentusk420

Uhhh, no let's not delay this game any longer than it already has been. Sorry females better luck next time but what you are asking for is completely UNREASONABLE and is gonna cost money to do, not to mention MORE TIME. Just be happy with what it will have and move on. Its a man's world lol ;D

SpaceMarines

There's more than enough time to implement something like this without delaying.

Xenoligiost

Quote from: thecaffeinatedone on Jul 05, 2012, 06:24:00 PM
Er, the game has been delayed enough. I don't want another one, thank you very much.
EDIT: Maybe I'm just being grumpy, I dunno.
No, this is bull. Release the game on its scheduled time. Make female char DLC. I don't really see how it matters since you don't see the char anyways.

Njm1983

I dont understand all this bitching round here about a delay..... its not like you all dont have anything better to do with your time while you wait.....

Bottom line this game needs the most immersive experience possible... Games like Halo, COD, BF3 all allow some degree of customization and individualization allowing gamers to make themselves unique. Even though Halo is the only one with female models, it still stands to reason that newer games need to reach for greater flexibility and customization for the players playing their games. If that means a slight delay- well too f**king bad.

Get a job and have a family, you might actually appreciate all the free time you had before. ;D

PVTDukeMorrison

Im not that much of a tech guy, and correct me if im wrong, but couldn't they just use Bella's Skeleton for the multiplayer?

Predaker

Quote from: Xenoligiost on Jul 06, 2012, 01:31:52 AM
Quote from: thecaffeinatedone on Jul 05, 2012, 06:24:00 PM
Er, the game has been delayed enough. I don't want another one, thank you very much.
EDIT: Maybe I'm just being grumpy, I dunno.
No, this is bull. Release the game on its scheduled time. Make female char DLC. I don't really see how it matters since you don't see the char anyways.
Why have any sort of customization at all if you can't "see yourself?" You can see everyone else, and everyone else can see you. This is about expression, not narcissism.

This petition is not asking gearbox to delay the game. The point is that the fans have a voice, and we are speaking now. Let's make a difference!

WinterActual

WinterActual

Quote from: FightFinda on Jul 05, 2012, 10:21:22 PM

you are obviously a game designer and know how long it will take to do all the recalibrations for all aspects of the female marines ::). I am more concerned about how long it would take to implement things such as death animations, grapple animations, voice actors (if they're in MP), female-specific customisation options (if customisation is in), mocap etc. rather than the models themselves (they could easily be imported from SP campaign).

Don't steal my words! I said it before you, go make your own argument!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ->

Quote from: Voodoo Actual on Jul 05, 2012, 03:31:03 PM
Yeah its so simple - they just have to create new female skeleton, mocap or create from scratch fem animations, rig the female models into those skeleton and animations, remake all armors and accessories for the female models, record whole set of various female voices, "calibrate" the xenos grab system for the fem skeleton and models and other simple tasks like these.

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Jul 05, 2012, 08:29:07 PM
Then play AvP2.
Well he doesn't have a big choice really so we can assume that he still play AvP 2  ;D

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Jul 05, 2012, 09:32:40 PM
They wouldn't have to make a new skeleton or develop new character animations, because female models and animations already exist within the game.
If thats the case don't you think the game would already include playable females?

SpaceMarines

There's women in the campaign, so they must have models and animations already programmed in.

As to why they aren't in multiplayer... I haven't the faintest idea.

WinterActual

We will never know but it happened with AvP 2010 so its possible to happen again with ACM.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed