Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, Feb 14, 2010, 05:34:49 PM

Author
Fan Reviews (Read 89,355 times)

Porkus Maximus

Porkus Maximus

Then simply go into update properties and set the game to "do not automatically update this game".

YutaniDitch

YutaniDitch

Quote from: Porkus Maximus on Mar 04, 2010, 08:24:57 PM
Then simply go into update properties and set the game to "do not automatically update this game".

THAT was the very first thing I did after installing HL2... only it was too late...60 minutes too late, to be a little more precise...! ;D

And HL2 was rubbish...If it was a good game, I would have overlooked it... But boy, I never understood all the hype...The game was WAY too easy and tedious as hell...Even the gravity gun went boring after a couple of 'body smashing' stunts...

I think STEAM is just a nuisance...Various developer sites make the updates/patches available without this intrusion...

I just hope now that UBISOFT is gonna download via STEAM, that they revoke STARFORCE...Talking about a software that clearly affects the PC...

Still, 60 minutes (hell, even 30 minutes would be too much!) just to activate a BS game like Half-Life 2?!?

I was almost suing VALVE for not having that on the cover...That the game required activation via Net... I would have never bought the darned thing! This is the only game I regretted buying! And there it is, on display, to remind me of my mistake!  ;D :D :o

Alexa Chung

Alexa Chung

If I buy this game three years late, like I did with AvP2, is it likely that anyone will be playing it?

Xhan

Xhan

Quote from: YutaniDitch on Mar 04, 2010, 01:00:32 PM
Ok, have finished the game for some time now, but I only remembered to post my final analysis:

Well, first of all, the majority of the graphical and sound hiccups problems got solved by switching to Xp instead of Windows 7 and by also installing the latest graphical and sound drivers... Still, there are parts where sound is missing and some graphical issues that I think got fixed by the patch 2 that came out earlier this week... And I said ' I think' because there is no way I am gonna download it via Steam... I find it immoral that a person has to suck up to steam to get the patches that were REQUIRED to be already in the retail DVD... Just another immoral way to earn extra bucks at the costs of other people's 'vices'...  ::) :o ;D

I think with the fixes the game got much better (I somehow was unable to see the Predator's voice synthesizer) and the game is solid enough for me... This just shows that the Direct x 11 is a mirage, since even in Direct X 10 mode the game is utterly unstable...

The Alien ending got some of the fans of the 'warrior turning to Queen' excited... And the egg-morphing ones not so enthused...I am  :-\ ...

So, I liked the game, and it is a breath of fresh air after the Modern Warfares, I guess... Still maintain the criticism of the first preview-review I did before since there are still a few gameplay things that become more noticeable the higher the difficulty level... I mean, apart from the Sniper Rifle, no weapon is really good to kill Aliens... The Pulse Rifle takes way too long to kill them, not to mention the sidearm... The Flamethrower is useless, and so is the SmartGun, because the times we use them, the Aliens come from multiple sidesa, and so the tracking becomes useless... The shotgun is, I bet, intentionally scarce...And that is about it as far as weaponry goes... The smartgun occupying two out of three weapon slots, leaving only the sidearm available, didn't make me happy either... especially with the ammo available for the SG...

Apart from that, I am more and more in love with the graphics...The story, well, let's just say it was nowhere near AVP2... AVP2's story with these graphics would have been HOORAH!

Still, the best review I can give it is that it is my default game on my PC...I install others and then uninstall them once they're finished, but this one has been there... As it happened with AVP and AVP2...

This game is a thrill... It could have been better, yes, but so can most, if not all games that come out... The point is how entertained you get with the game?  It is cool to stalk humans as the Alien or Predator and it is cool to use the more traditional FPS as the Marine to see more clearly the differences and MOs of the three creatures... That is what attracted me more to the AVP games than the movies they are inspired from...

And the killshots still give me 'joygasms'... even when I am getting hit by Aliens while doing that... The Aliens, the Predators are very well designed, the human faces up close are impressive... The gameplay is a bit hard at first but then it is like a vice: the jumping part of the Predator is now instinctive, the Alien movements even more so (too bad we cannot pick the humans up when we are on the ceiling or on a wall and do the Killshot like that...too bad) and the Marines, well, they are more déjá vu but still competently crafted to make them worthwhile... The gun 'aim heaviness' thing is a bit disappointing, and the 'melee' is preposterous, but if not for the melee, I would have been toast many times...So, once we swallow it, we're fine...Though for the next installment, I hope they focus more on the story and the Marines' gameplay, because it is clearly the weakest of the bunch...  ??? ;D

So, as my FINAL MARK, I would give a 8.5 to the game... The story's lack of cohesive interlinkage between all 3 creatures and some holes in it as well; the marine's gameplay and the remaining glitches take the 1 point I was willing to give it...Still, the gameplay is addictive and the graphics are stunning... ;)

or maybe your level of implementation isn't up to snuff.

The smartgun can mulch an Alien in 3-4 hits, causes auto pain stagger in 5 every time without fail on nightmare and highlights ANYTHING in game, and the shotgun is so effective against everything it's ridiculous.

Xhan

Xhan

Quote from: Alexa Chung on Mar 06, 2010, 03:15:42 AM
If I buy this game three years late, like I did with AvP2, is it likely that anyone will be playing it?

I don't think this one is going to have the same legs, and SEGA offering off site support for that long... ahahaha... yeah. The same people probably won't even be working there anymore.

Alexa Chung

Alexa Chung

I hate arriving late for these things. Oh, to be one of those people right at the beginning who could say WHAT THE f**k IS THIS SKEETER SHIT

Xhan

Xhan

Well in a perfect unicorn flavored world, by the time you bought the game, SP crashes won't exist and MP might actually be balanced and the entire game might actually run on 64 bit systems with nVidia cards in them. But SEGA probably doesn't have that kind of money, they gotsa be tooling up for the summer Olympics mascot fest.

Brother

Brother

Never gonna' happen.

Lie

Lie

Quote from: -Sharky- on Mar 04, 2010, 04:39:04 PM
Quote from: Bhaal on Mar 03, 2010, 09:23:39 PM
I said give him more health or make him faster when he gets hit. I get face to face with a marine and if i get one bullet i'm dead. In AVP2 you could retreat, in this one you can not. Once you get hit, you get slow motion or you get stuck.

I'm gonna ask you a simple question: Are you relatively good in computer games? The reason why I ask this is because that comment of yours makes me think otherwise.

Lol

AussiePred747

AussiePred747

Quote from: Xhan on Mar 06, 2010, 03:15:54 AM
Quote from: YutaniDitch on Mar 04, 2010, 01:00:32 PM

The smartgun can mulch an Alien in 3-4 hits, causes auto pain stagger in 5 every time without fail on nightmare and highlights ANYTHING in game, and the shotgun is so effective against everything it's ridiculous.

Mabye because its a shotgun. Its meant to be effective at short ranged.   ::)

stroggificated

stroggificated

+ Good graphics, animations and movie scenes

+ Good marine campaign

+ Funny special kills / stealth kills

+/- Average Predator Campaign

+/- Average story

- Disappointing Alien campaign

- Control

Maybe it's a lack of practise, but some abilities and controls from the prior games I miss very much. The prior controls added with Trophy kills or Stealth Kills would be almost perfect. The AI isn't that good. The marine campaign saved the game for being bad. I expected more.

Billiken

Billiken

I finished the Marine campaign in a surprising 3 days probably not a record but still quite quick for me. I was surprised when I only came across the Predator once. I don't know why they just didn't call this game Aliens because it has plenty of them. I don't fancy completing the game as the creatures I didn't like the experience much. Being the Alien mad me disorientated;I had no idea where I was going. And the Predator was just not fun at all. I wanted to leap around as Pred like he did in the movies but its to hard. And in close combat situations with aliens it is to hard to fight.

Inverse Effect

As the predator you fight plenty of aliens, ohh look

Aliens vs Predator.

Quote from: Billiken on Mar 09, 2010, 11:58:31 AM
I finished the Marine campaign in a surprising 3 days probably not a record but still quite quick for me. I was surprised when I only came across the Predator once. I don't know why they just didn't call this game Aliens because it has plenty of them. I don't fancy completing the game as the creatures I didn't like the experience much. Being the Alien mad me disorientated;I had no idea where I was going. And the Predator was just not fun at all. I wanted to leap around as Pred like he did in the movies but its to hard. And in close combat situations with aliens it is to hard to fight.

trade it in and wait for A:CM.

the whole point of AvP games is to play as all 3 species, you just wasted so much money only playing as a marine.

also the game is aliens Vs Predator not Aliens vs Predators

in the movies, the humans only fight one predator,
Predator - 1 Predator
Predator 2 - 1 Predator until the end, but they don't fight
AvP - 3 Predaotrs, 2 die pretty quickly, before even bumping into the humans
AvPR - 1 predator.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

No he didn't, if they made the campaign, why not use it?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed