Question for a No Budget Film

Started by Alienseseses, Jul 01, 2008, 07:57:01 PM

Author
Question for a No Budget Film (Read 7,162 times)

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

I am making a film over the summer, a short horror/sci fi. I will have something up by the time it's done. My question:

It involves a monster in a rubber mask. It has a noir feel. It feels 1950's ish.

Should it be in color or in black and white?

The Diesel

The Diesel

Color.  Black and white sucks.

Gameoverman!GAMEOVER!

Black and white. If it's low budget, then it'll hide the rubber mask better. And Hitchcock shot Psycho in black and white for a reason...

Private Hudson

Black and White would be a nice change.

severen76

severen76

I don't really low budget films look very good in black and white. The picture always seems to clear.

Alienseseses

My film is pretty grainy.

Blitzx

Blitzx

Since we have some film makers on this site, I've always wanted to know how movies achieve that look - you know the one where the color palette or something is different from an ordinary camera. It's darker, redder and the characters seem to be able to blend in more with their surroundings.

In response to the question: color most definitaly. Black and white is dead unless your making it for a retirement home.

Alienseseses

Quote from: Blitzx on Jul 01, 2008, 09:08:50 PM
Since we have some film makers on this site, I've always wanted to know how movies achieve that look - you know the one where the color palette or something is different from an ordinary camera. It's darker, redder and the characters seem to be able to blend in more with their surroundings.

Color correction, my friend.

Anyway, second question. There are lots of monsters, all played by the same person, but what would they wear? It would make no sense if they had the same t-shirt. I was thinking straightjacket, but it's too expensive.

severen76

severen76

In response to the question: color most definitaly. Black and white is dead unless your making it for a retirement home.

I wouldn't say it's dad. I just think it's hard to pull off.

Alienseseses

I wouldn't say it's dad, either.

The film works in both color and b/w because of the contrasts I used. I just want to know what is preferred.

And what should the monsters wear?

Private Hudson

Quote from: severen76 on Jul 01, 2008, 09:21:18 PM

I wouldn't say it's dead. I just think it's hard to pull off.

Fixed.

Blitzx

Blitzx

lol you guys are funny.

Quote from: Alienseseses on Jul 01, 2008, 09:17:18 PM

What does it cost? And how come everyone isn't using it on youtube :-\. Is there like an online guide or something for film makers. I'm really interested in finding out some stuff about the methods used for filming different kinds of material e.g. documentaries, films.

What's the plot to your movie? Do you have one yet?

Also I have an idea which mixes both sci-fi and horror. Not sure if you wanna use it or know how to but here goes.
Basicaly have scenes with the monster in black and white within a scene of a modern day character in colour. For example, just say that there is a room with someone in it from the modern era in colour whilst at the same time the villain can be seen approaching down a black and white hallway through a doorway if you get my meaning. Not sure how they would interact but who says they have to (horror).
This way you get both effects and if your costumes aren't up to scratch you no one will notice.

SiL

SiL

No budget 50s noir sci-fi/horror?

Why bother asking? Black and white. No way is it dead. So some people get uppity if they can't see colours; f**k colours! Monochrome for the win! It's also easier to get away with cheap effects in monochrome than with colour - Get some chocolate topping for blood, for example. Worked for Hitchcock.

Straight jackets are easy. They're just jackets with with arms strapped to the back. Get a white jacket and sew some boot straps or old belts into it.

Quote from: Blitzx on Jul 01, 2008, 09:29:42 PM
What does it cost? And how come everyone isn't using it on youtube :-\.
It's free, depending on what program you use.

Adobie Premiere has colour correction, even in its "elements" form (which has fewer features, but is perfect for home movies or movies that don't need a lot of effects). Final Cut Pro also has it as a feature, because they're both professional level programs. AVID, too.

People don't use it on YouTube cos there's really no need. Most videos on there are either edited from films and TV shows, or just people talking into a webcam.

There's also the issue of the quality of the camera you're using. Sometimes the image quality is so low that you really can't do much with it.

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

Quote from: Blitzx on Jul 01, 2008, 09:29:42 PM
lol you guys are funny.

Quote from: Alienseseses on Jul 01, 2008, 09:17:18 PM

What does it cost? And how come everyone isn't using it on youtube :-\. Is there like an online guide or something for film makers. I'm really interested in finding out some stuff about the methods used for filming different kinds of material e.g. documentaries, films.

What's the plot to your movie? Do you have one yet?

Color Corrector is part of most programs. It controls tint, shadows, highlights, contrast, etc.
I'm using Final Cut Pro for mine, even though normally I'm using Premiere.

I don't want to give away the plot, but the creature is a part fish/amphibian part human monster. I painted it myself.

I seriously can't make a straight jacket. I need some kind of uniform. That doesn't cost much.

SM

SM

Even Windows Movie Maker has a couple of generic filters to 'age' a film.

As for what they should wear get half a dozen different cheap t-shirts (careful to avoid any branding on them).  Or try an Op Shop (2nd hand clothing).  I think one of the reasons Peter Jackson had all his 'aliens' in blue shirts because he could get them cheap in bulk.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed