Question for a No Budget Film

Started by Alienseseses, Jul 01, 2008, 07:57:01 PM

Author
Question for a No Budget Film (Read 7,163 times)

Huol

Huol

What kind of monster?
Rabid savage mutant?
Horrific creation?
Classic creature?
Space alien?

Seriously we can't give ideas for what they should wear if we don't know what it is.

Pvt. Hicks

Pvt. Hicks

I think it should just be a normal man. Has a lesser chance of being corny, and makes it classier and more realistic, for a no-budget movie.

But hey, it's your movie. Just remember to keep the thing in the shadows, and never show any full body shots of it.

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

Quote from: Huol on Jul 02, 2008, 01:13:08 AM
What kind of monster?
Rabid savage mutant?
Horrific creation?

Classic creature?
Space alien?

Seriously we can't give ideas for what they should wear if we don't know what it is.
What I bolded. It's me wearing a rubber fish mask, glued on and with latex edges.

Thing is, there is a pack of them. And they are all wearing clothing, but it would have to be the same clothing, and it would be silly if it was just a t-shirt. There needs to be something uniformic, like coveralls but not expensive.

SM

SM

Where are they from though?  Are they mutated humans?

If you're wearing a mask, then you'll need something with buttons, as you don't wanting to be pulling t-shirts on and off over your head for each pass.

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

The idea is we don't know where they're from. They act like mindless animals, or werewolves. Their faces resemble fish.

I keep imagining them with open straight jackets, but where can I get a convincing one?
Or is there a better idea?

SM

SM

We - the audience - don't know where they're from - but you as the writer/ director need to know so you can create a design guide.  If you look at Lord Of The Rings, WETA knew everything about the backgrounds of the races they were creating in order to have a consistent aesthetic.  The audience didn't care about the history but the attention to detail and the consistency between architecture, costumes, armour and weaponry was obvious.

Same principle applies here.

Are they from the sea and always look like fish monsters?  If so then they shouldn't have any clothes - but this means you need a full costume which can get expensive - though the way your shooting you'd only need one.

Are they from space? If so they might need uniforms or space suits.

Are they humans mutated into fish monsters?  If so you can get away with everyday clothes - male and female to mix it up.

With the strait jacket thing - are you thinking literal strait jacket or just something with long sleeves?  And why?  Are there tentacles in the long sleeves?

These are some of the things you need to consider.

Undeadite

Undeadite

If you are going for a Lovecraftian, Dagon fish demon vibe, then wear something that a fisherman would wear like a slicker, raincoat, big boots etc. But, if it is set in the woods far away from a large body of water where no one would be wearing those clothes, go for ripped up cheap clothes from a second hand thrift store. A straight jacket is a very creepy idea, but there would have to be a reason in the story for the monsters to wear them. Are they escaped creations of a mad scientist? Are they criminal outcasts from their civilization? Or was one kidnapped and put in restraints by regular humans?

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

Quote from: Undeadite on Jul 02, 2008, 05:04:14 AM
If you are going for a Lovecraftian, Dagon fish demon vibe, then wear something that a fisherman would wear like a slicker, raincoat, big boots etc. But, if it is set in the woods far away from a large body of water where no one would be wearing those clothes, go for ripped up cheap clothes from a second hand thrift store. A straight jacket is a very creepy idea, but there would have to be a reason in the story for the monsters to wear them. Are they escaped creations of a mad scientist? Are they criminal outcasts from their civilization? Or was one kidnapped and put in restraints by regular humans?
That's more or less my idea.

The film takes place in Brooklyn, not in the woods or the water, but the fisherman idea is creepy...

I want it to be like they escaped from somewhere.
I can't get away with normal clothing because with the shots I have planned, I can't change my shirt all the time, so they all need to be dressed the same.

Gameoverman!GAMEOVER!

How much are a set of mechanic's overalls? They'd probably do, right?

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

I had an idea today. Medical scrubs, or maybe even Mao jackets.

Undeadite

Undeadite

Hm, Brooklyn... cool  8)

Well why stop at a Moe jacket? Go for broke and make some nazi stuff.

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

The problem here is money. I don't have too much, so I need something cheap.

And I'm Jewish. No Nazis.

Undeadite

Undeadite

Lol, sorry, bad joke. Go to walmart and get a couple of the same shirts. If you want something cool looking, and you need a lot of them, you might need to get more money or downsize the whole costume idea. If you still want the straight jacket idea, get any light colored jacket (you are shooting in black and white right?). Then get some belts that are long enough to buckle around your stomach and chest. If it doesnt look exactly like a straight jacket, it will at least look creepy.

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

Quote from: Undeadite on Jul 02, 2008, 06:48:31 PM
Lol, sorry, bad joke. Go to walmart and get a couple of the same shirts. If you want something cool looking, and you need a lot of them, you might need to get more money or downsize the whole costume idea. If you still want the straight jacket idea, get any light colored jacket (you are shooting in black and white right?). Then get some belts that are long enough to buckle around your stomach and chest. If it doesnt look exactly like a straight jacket, it will at least look creepy.
I've decided to have two versions, one color, the other black and white.

SM

SM

QuoteI had an idea today. Medical scrubs, or maybe even Mao jackets.

If by scrubs you mean those gowns where you're arse hangs out the back - makes sense based on what you're going for.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed