Film Reviews - AvPGalaxy's Own Critics!

Started by Secret Hero, Mar 07, 2008, 07:25:42 PM

Author
Film Reviews - AvPGalaxy's Own Critics! (Read 277,464 times)

Technocide

^^ I didn't actually pay any attention to the music xD.

Übermensch

Storyline

It is based on the famous book.  I don't know faithful it is to the book, but the plot is very similar to the classic 30s Frankenstein movies.

VisualFX

Pretty good recreation of late 17th Europe.  Cinematography was average.  No lighting issues, but the picture quality could use a clean up.

SoundFX

Didn't like the score - too dramatic and not atmospheric enough.

Violence

This should have been violent and gory but it cuts away whenever something happens.  There is one gory and shocking bit in it, but I won't spoil it.

Acting

Average.  De Niro is an ok Frankenstein, not great but ok.

Overall 65%

I didn't hate this movie, but it could've been wayyyyyy better.  Some parts were just ridiculous.  Like when this girl sets herself on fire, then runs through the hallway setting everything in her path in flames, then seconds later the whole house is burning down.  W    T    F    ?

It's just a silly movie that takes itself way too seriously.  I thought it'd be like Bram Stoker's Dracula but it has no style and it's pacing is all over the place.

A bit of a mess but worth watching at least once.

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

I wrote this review up a while ago on Amazon.co.uk, and you can probably tell. Even though I don't really like my review, I still wanted to share my thoughts on this DVD box set since it is well worth buying.

Oh, and the picture is of a seperate version. The one I'm reviewing can be found here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fly-2-DVD/dp/B000ERVG34/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1245342065&sr=1-1

The Fly I & II DVD box set
Anyone who has seen the original The Fly, made in 1958 and starring Vincent Price, will have some idea of what to expect from this remake; a terrible teleportation accident in which a fly gets into the same teleportation device that the main character is in. But while in the original, the result was that the human body came out of the other device with the head and arm of the fly (vice-versa for the body of the fly), the result in this remake is much more horrible.

Seth Brundle (Jeff Goldblum) is the doomed scientist who is dabbling in the use of teleportation, and Geena Davis plays Veronica, the journalist who is covering his work and who is also Brundle's love interest in the film. Together, they perfect the teleportation sequence to transport organic tissue. Brundle becomes angry; however, as he believes that Veronica is still seeing her ex-partner and magazine editor, Stathis Borans (John Getz), and proceeds to test the "telepod" on himself and accidentally splices himself with a common housefly. What follows is a truly disturbing sequence of events as Brundle gradually decomposes into something far from human, while Veronica finds herself caring for him. Directed by the masterful David Cronenberg, and featuring a great cast as well as completely believable and grotesque special effects, The Fly is a terrifying romantic horror film with an underlying message in the form of ageing and inevitable death.

As you mightexpect, The Fly 2 doesn't really live up to the first film. Despite this, it is certainly a competent horror film in its own right. Unlike the original, there is no underlying message, and there is certainly no strong romantic sub-plot. Instead, the film concentrates on conventional sci-fi/horror/gore techniques and in those respects it certainly succeeds and is therefore very entertaining at times. What effectively makes this film are the special effects, which have certainly been improved upon since the last film (in which the effects were great themselves) and makes the (infrequent) gory moments very convincing. The plot concerns the son of Seth Brundle and how he is being kept like some form of lab rat at Bartok Industries (the company that funded Brundle in the first film). It is not long, however, before his dormant insect genes take over, and he takes revenge on those that have kept him and lied to him over the years, making for some truly intense final scenes.

I highly recommend that you buy this set. There are very few special features aside from some satisfying audio commentaries, but the picture and sound quality of both the films has definitely been perfected, unlike many other DVD's of older films which just seem to have been copied and pasted onto a disk. Buy it for the films and not the extras and you won't be disappointed by this exceptionally good box set.

But be afraid... very afraid.    

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Have you ever been kicked in the face? I haven't, but I'd imagine that the sensation of being kicked in the face is similar to watching a Michael Bay movie. Ever since his 1995 directorial debut, Bad Boys, Bay has had one single objective: to make us succumb to his "Make everything in sight explode and reduce the story and character development to a minimum", style of filmmaking. Some people love him for this. Indeed, many of his films are extremely enjoyable, whether they feature the unlikely yet ingenious team-up of Sean Connery and Nicholas Cage (The Rock), or rather scary looks at the future of cloning (The Island). But each one, despite having a budget of gargantuan proportions, has been far from perfect, often dividing critics and fans over just how good they really are. This reached its zenith with the 2007 release of Transformers, based on the ever-popular 80s toy line and cartoon series that lives fondly in many a person's memory. But the film was awful. It was Bay at his most self-indulgent, featuring two of the least interesting leading characters in recent history, a story that could have been written on the back of a stamp, an agonizing running time (143 minutes!), and last but not least, a camera that could not be kept still, rendering the (admittedly impressive) looking robots as nothing more than a series of colourful blurs. But now Bay is back; armed with a sequel that boasts an extra fifty million dollars and an even longer running time (150 minutes!!). The question, though, is whether or not he can improve on that travesty of an original.

In short, yes, he does. Truth be told, I actually enjoyed most of the first half of this film, regardless of how mind-numbing it all was. But I could not resist the potential Bayhem that was to be had, and willingly gave in to the pure awesomeness that was the opening battle in Shanghai, as the Autobots (assisted by a human team called NEST) hunt down a group of renegade Decepticons hiding there. And who can't resist the sight of Optimus Prime transforming out of his truck form and diving out of a helicopter before latching onto a massive, spinning wheel based Decepticon (and all in super slow motion, I should add, so we really get to see the details)? From there we are given an ominous warning that The Fallen is coming, and the film gets underway proper. Naturally, we then meet our human stars, Sam Witwicky and Mikaela (played by the always underwhelming Shia LaBeouf and popular poster-girl Megan Fox respectively), as they prepare to become separated once Sam moves off to college. Of course, their relationship feels somewhat contrived, but all is forgiven once Sam's parents make their appearance, and they prove to be just as enjoyable a duo as they were in the first Transformers. Without giving away too much, it's not long before Sam realises that he is once again the target of the Decepticons, is pulled out of college and is thrust into the robot civil war. To top it all off, the evil Megatron is revived early on, stronger than ever before; and it shows during the tragic climax of a forest-set metal mash up.

By that stage, however, the film has just about reached its half-way point, and you'll be amazed at how fast the time has flown by. But now Fallen violently judders to a halt, all its (and our) energy used up, and we begin to realise that there is still about an hour and a half left of this. It has yet to introduce a whole raft of new characters, and cover a huge amount of exposition. The term, 'bloated', is an understatement. Ironically, the titular Fallen (an ancient Prime) is virtually lost in all of this with a criminally short screen time. Sure, he gets to strut his stuff as he makes his presence felt, but the film wastes no time in making us traipse along behind Sam and Mikaela as they try to figure out just how they are going to save the world again. In many ways, this is where it all goes wrong for Fallen, as the film instantly switches from entertaining summer blockbuster to a painful rape of our senses. Indeed, once the exposition is out of the way, it's back to the action as Bay unleashes the mother of all climactic battles set in a desert. But it just isn't much fun. It's too loud and there's too much going on. And all the while Bay is swinging the camera around as fast as he possibly can (I kid you not, if someone had been sitting in the front row there would have been projectile vomit). Plus it all goes on for what seems like an eternity, with no end to the constant explosions and speeding robots in sight.

On the note of robots, Bay felt the need to include many, many more in this film than in the first one. While in Transformers there was a handful of Autobots and Decepticons that we got to know quite well by the time the credits rolled, here we are presented with literally dozens of Transformers, most of which vary vastly (ranging from nifty little motorbike ones to a grouchy cane-wielding giant). This is sure to make some fan boys go wild, but everything backfires when the film can't quite give them all the attention they deserve. The large majority of them get no lines of dialogue whatsoever, and yet many that do are only on screen for less than a minute in total across the entire film. I challenge anyone (with the exception of die-hard fans, of course) to recall any of the secondary robots' names once the film ends without looking them up on Wikipedia. But perhaps the biggest problem emerges in the case of The Twins, two seemingly inbred Autobots who act as a team and embody the most annoying of racial stereotypes (just imagine if there were two Jar Jar Binks's in The Phantom Menace), and yet are lavished with untold amounts of attention. And as for The Fallen... well, what a letdown. Thankfully, though, some changes do go well. Megatron has much more screen time for this go around, and his abusive attitude towards whiny second in command Starscream is sure to please followers of the cartoon. Also, there are many more close-ups of the Transformers, revealing the masterfully detailed CGI creations that they really are.

To go back to my original question, I would say that watching Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen feels like getting a roundhouse kick to the face from Jean-Claude Van Damme! Despite a promising start, Bay inevitably ends up repeatedly bashing us over the back of the head with his filmmaking stick as he falls back on tried and tested techniques that were never that popular to begin with. I have no doubt that there will be those who will love this, and I have no doubt that a third film is in the works at this very moment; and who knows, it could well be third time lucky, right? Regardless, Fallen is a bad film. Yet one can take solace in the fact that it is still an improvement on its predecessor. But just a small one.

2/5

Anonymous684

Anonymous684

Funny People

First off i love Judd Apatows '40 year Old Virgin' and 'Knocked Up'. It seems with this one he aimed for the drama/comedy approach with the Apatow direction style.. which for me worked really well. With a more serious tone yet ridiculously funny we finally get to see a Skinny non-stoner Seth Rogen which was...... weird yet almost a relief to see a change in character. Adam Sandler throws his original goofiness into the film and yet adds depression which i thought was interesting to see.

I think i remember the movie being about 2 Hours long which was plenty, by the end of the movie you actually feel like you know the character as if they were your neighbors.

The Film struck me as having a 1st half and a 2nd half, but i don't wanna give anything away.

Great acting, directing, writing, and jokes Funny people is a win for Apatow

8.5-10

Xenomrph

Just got back from seeing a pre-screening of District 9. I'll just go ahead and say it in one sentence: this movie was great and I highly recommend it. You actually give a shit about the characters because of how the events are shown, and the directorial style made this movie unlike anything I'd ever seen as far as movies go. It felt like a war documentary, and it worked.

The special effects were great. With the aliens, it was hard to tell if they were CGI or animatronic (or a mix of both) because of how seamlessly they interacted with the characters and the environment. Moving objects around, interacting physically with people, it was all really convincing. I also liked their facial design, as well. They looked alien, but had enough facial features that you could discern emotions and personalities without a problem. It made them a lot more sympathetic while still keeping them "extraterrestrial".

The documentary style worked great, but part of me wishes the movie was more consistent with it - you'd get long stretches of "documentary" footage, interviewing people, security camera footage, news footage, but then it would cut to handheld shaky-cam footage that wasn't "documentary" footage and it sort of broke the "effect". I understand that a lot of scenes couldn't have played out the way they did if they'd kept strictly to the "documentary" footage, but I think it would have been an interesting challenge to keep the style 100% consistent and still tell essentially the same story. I don't think it would have been impossible.
Don't get me wrong, the movie is still outstanding, it's just a bit of a minor quibble that I was thinking about after the movie ended.

Also, this really isn't a spoiler, but this movie doesn't pull any punches. If you're squeamish, this movie has its fair share of "gross-out" parts. I mean, I'm not squeamish, but it kinda caught me off-guard how far they took some stuff.

All in all, highly recommended. REALLY highly recommended.

Übermensch

^Excellent.  I can't wait to see District 9.

Trailer (note the use of Bishop's Countdown  :D ) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkzPpaHqM9s

This is one of the best thrillers I have ever seen.  It's based on a Stephen King book and stars Kathy Bates and James Caan, both who are excellent in their roles.  The movie came out in 1990, which was a great year for movies.  Movies of this era seem to have a particular style to them, it's hard to explain but I really like it.  I won't go into the plot, just watch the movie, it's a life or death psychological thriller, but not your usual kind.  It will have you on the edge of your seat the entire time, it's also quite smart and very well acted.  And I have to say, Kathy Bates plays the craziest bitch in a movie I've ever seen.

5/5

Vulhala

^Love that movie. Cathy Bates is so believeable in it.

TJ Doc

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
To put it bluntly, I have never seen an episode of G.I. Joe. I have never owned a G.I. Joe action figure. In fact, I wasn't even aware of this particular 80s franchise until earlier this year, when I first laid eyes on the trailer for this picture. So, I was not bound to any kind of nostalgic attraction to this particular big-budget extravaganza; and that may well have paid off for me.

But you've got to hand it to Stephen Sommers, the man who gave us Deep Rising, both Mummy films (the third does not exist), and Van Helsing. None of these films are really what one might consider to be 'classics', but Sommers has the ability to turn anything he directs, regardless of how dire the source material may be, into something that never fails to entertain. I am pleased to report that G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra is no exception. It's simply two hours of mindless, unrelentingly stupid fun that cannot fail to put a smile on your face... unless you've seen the cartoon, where you run the risk of having your hopes and dreams get smashed.

The 'plot', for want of a better word, concerns the villainous MARS (Military Armament Research Syndicate) organisation, headed by Christopher Eccleston's James McCullen, a turncoat weapons designer who attempts to steal his own nanotechnology (containing nasty little nano-mites that posses the ability to literally eat through an entire city) from the U.S. Army in order to further his own evil plans. Naturally, his initial attack is foiled by the elite team of G.I. Joe, a secret division of the military (led by the always reliable Dennis Quaid), that employs the use of "accelerator suits" that – you guessed it – "accelerate" the user, allowing such mundane abilities as running and jumping to be enhanced tenfold. But things don't really get going until the forces of evil have made off with said nano-mites, and it's up to G.I. Joe to get them back. This mission leads them through a number of exciting set pieces, including an "accelerator suited" romp through Paris, filled to the brim with an untold number of exploding cars, which culminates in "the trailer shot"; while the film concludes with the Joe's attacking McCullen's underwater fortress. These action sequences are expertly staged for the most part, but there are times when the camera work descends into Michael Bay levels of unsteadiness. But Sommers generally lets us get a good look at exactly what's going on, even at the most hectic of times.

Now, a quick word on the characters: this movie has everything. There are beautiful femme fatales, ninjas, mind-controlled henchmen, mad scientists, a master of disguise, and horribly disfigured baddies! Like I said: everything. As mentioned before, I have never seen the G.I. Joe cartoon, but those origins can be seen in such wonderfully over the top antagonists. It's difficult to take a single one seriously (the pick of the bunch being a grotesque individual simply going by the name of 'The Doctor', whose voice makes Christian Bale's take on Batman look normal by comparison), but they all add to the overall charm of the film, and it won't be long before you find your favourite. The protagonists, on the other hand, are a little more bland when looked at. Granted, Dennis Quaid is always awesome (he saved Jaws 3!), but as for the others, well we're presented with 'big strong guy', 'super-intelligent girl', and 'humorous French technician'. Also, Channing Tantum unconvincingly gurns his way through the film as our central hero, Duke, whilst Marlon Wayans is really just there to play 'comedy sidekick' as Ripcord. It's also a shame that none of their back stories are explored in any notable detail, save for the silent ninja, Snake Eyes. But they're believable and likeable enough as action heroes.     

And on that note, it's not perfect. There are plenty of flaws that stick out and make themselves apparent, not least of which is the script. It's disappointing having to watch such... able thespians work with the kind of garbage that would make George Lucas blow a raspberry; and the most criminal lines go to Sienna Miller who, despite clearly enjoying herself as 'The Baroness', invokes cringe after cringe via such seemingly innocent lines as: "Nice shoes." She has worse ones, but they're too good to give away here. On a similar note, something has gone quite wrong with Eccleston's Scottish accent ("A wunt tha whaarhades rehdee in un ower!"), though on a positive side this provides welcome chuckles. Also, the final act suffers from an overload of vendettas and clichéd revelations. In fact, it's amazing how much the last battle plays out like a sub-aquatic take on the assault on the second Death Star (you'll notice certain similarities immediately). This sudden explosion of unoriginality is rather jarring, and takes your mind off the important issues at hand this late in the plot.

It's called The Rise of Cobra for a reason; the ending might as well have TO BE CONTINUED pop up in large white lettering. Oh yes, there will be sequels. But we should look forward to them, however many there may be. This has managed to establish a solid collection of likeable characters that will hopefully be investigated further in the coming years, and from the small amount of research I've made into the original cartoon since seeing this, it's clear that there is a rich history to plunder for future adventures with the Joe's. Now... I can only hope that next year's Thundercats adaptation doesn't get screwed up. Unlike that other film!

3/5

Übermensch

QuoteBut you've got to hand it to Stephen Sommers, the man who gave us Deep Rising, both Mummy films (the third does not exist), and Van Helsing. None of these films are really what one might consider to be 'classics', but Sommers has the ability to turn anything he directs, regardless of how dire the source material may be, into something that never fails to entertain.

If you're a hyperactive 2 year old on a sugar-high you'll be entertained.  Van Helsing - that movie took stupidity to a whole new level, I could not even finish watching it.

f**k GI Joe, btw.

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

Pah! Sommers has fun with his films. It shows.

Also, The Mummy was the film that Indy 4 should have been!

Blaz

I don't care what anybody says, I loved Van Helsing.

randy4321

District 9

VisualFX- The Visuals for this movie are breathtaking and the budget of $30 million dollars that it was done on made it even more un-believable for how well the creatures, mothership, etc looked. Although im not surprised because of the studios that worked on it all like Weta digital, Image Engine etc. But in my opinion think for one of many reasons that this film deserves an award for the work.

Storyline- The storyline is not the usual..it has a mix of many genres today. Drama, Action, Sci-fi, (mainly what this movie contains) The story is not like many others, its easy to follow, although left some questions unanswered and thats what calls for a sequel. It's cool to watch if ur a fan of POV or "Queasy-Cam" Style films, although small portions of the film are like that. The story is cool, satisfying, original and creative.

SoundFX- The SoundFX for this movie is excellent from the sounds of the weapons to the guttural growls and chatter of the creatures sounds crisp, nice. The various weapons that are used throughout the movie have their distinct sounds that doesnt spew generic noises. The environment is filled with sounds from choppers, talking and other ambiance. The soundFX is also another one of the great factors of the movie.

Violence Factor- This movie is VERY violent and gory at it's times, I do not recommend this for the young ones. Throughout the movies there are gory scenes, blood splatter, dismemberment, explosions etc. I guess its the reason why its rated R, But in my opinion the gore and violence makes the movie alot better when showing the nature of the creatures...other than that its just plain awesome!

Overall- My final verdict on the film is that its worth seeing in theaters, Heck its worth seeing twice! You will not be bored or dissapointed. If you felt a little iffy like I did, when you see it you have alot of fun and spend your money's worth.

Score- I give this movie a 100% for the low amount of budget used to make such a spectacular film, the plot, effects and every other little thing about it! This one I will be picking up on DVD and digital Copy. (for all you portable media whores like me)

Übermensch

Übermensch

Yep, this is the first live-action movie based on a video game, the enormously popular Mario games.  Now, this movie is often given a very bad wrap, it was a box office and critical failure, and many fans don't like how it is too different from the games.  But I love it, so sue me.

The movie loosely follows the several concepts from the game, just cleverly updated to a Blade Runner/Brazil-esque type world that exists in a parallel dimension.  I actually like the changes they made, they couldn't actually do a literal adaptation of the game for the movie, yet they still included lots of easter eggs for the fans.

Now the actors, this movie has a great likeable cast - Bob Hoskins is perfect as Mario, Dennis Hopper really relishes his role as Koopa.  The rest of the cast are also great - John Leguizamo, the actress who plays Daisy, the guys who play the Koopa cousins, Toad, Big Bertha, etc - a wonderful cast.

The game characters - some of my favourites:

The Goombas - omg I love these guys.  They looks so cool.

Yoshi - now it's funny because Yoshi kind of looks like a velociraptor (remember this was the year Jurassic Park came out) but he looks pretty damn cool, a very neat little practical/animatronic effect.

Bob-omb - well the Bob-omb certainly got the respect it deserved but I'm not sure if I liked the Reebok reference (damn product placement).

Conclusion - well what can I say, I think this movie easily beats other video game movies of it's era.  Street Fighter and Double Dragon?  C'mon.  Mortal Kombat, maybe.  Anyway, this movie is just fun and enjoyable, I'd check it out, just don't expect a literal adaptation of the games.

A WARNING THOUGH - this movie contains a lot of references to Reptilians and a few references to disturbing parallels to 9/11.  Just watch the movie with this in mind and you'll see.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed