Godzilla
101 (75.4%)
King Kong
25 (18.7%)
I don't know?
8 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Author
The GODZILLA thread (Read 2,524,038 times)

Immortan Jonesy

reecebomb

reecebomb

Predictably, looks like dogshit. Even if it's silly a la Showa, the completely weightless CGI replacing the characterful monster suits and miniature buildings + tired meta jokes = unwatchable. I do like some cheese but this is some crappy fake cheese analogue.

nanison

nanison

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 03, 2023, 09:07:50 PM
Quote from: nanison on Dec 03, 2023, 09:07:19 PMThe age of Marvel, looks as ridiculous as the last 2 sequels.
Do you have kaiju fatigue now?

Of course not but I'm going to let this pass for sure

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: reecebomb on Dec 03, 2023, 11:55:06 PMPredictably, looks like dogshit. Even if it's silly a la Showa, the completely weightless CGI replacing the characterful monster suits and miniature buildings + tired meta jokes = unwatchable. I do like some cheese but this is some crappy fake cheese analogue.

You haven't seen it and you already know? You got some telepathic abiity of something? Hehehe.  :laugh:

Personally, I am hyped to see this. There is nothing wrong with the showa approach if it works. Toho by contrast prefers to stick with the grim and serious side of Godzilla as seen in -1 and that's perfectly fine as well. I think thats good, as audience we get the best of both worlds, we get a choice of both.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 03, 2023, 09:07:50 PM
Quote from: nanison on Dec 03, 2023, 09:07:19 PMThe age of Marvel, looks as ridiculous as the last 2 sequels.

Do you have kaiju fatigue now?

I think its a little premature for folks to develop kaiju faitgue. The MCU has 30+ movies, the Legendary Monsterverse has just 5 movies (counting this one). Rather big difference in scale and scope between the two franchises, don't you think? There is still a lot of room to grow for the monsterverse, whereas the MCU has already hit its peak.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

This got lost in the shuffle of the GxT trailer, but there's also a trailer for the remainder of Monarch's season:

Spoiler
Looks like some Hollow Earth stuff is gonna be how we get some Godzilla action at this point in the timeline, without having him resurface between Godzilla and King of the Monsters.
[close]

Sabres21768

Sabres21768

Anyone know why Godzilla now has a pink energy glow instead of the original blue?
It looks ridiculous.

SiL

SiL

The trailer showed blue.

Maybe they just like Shin Gojira.

Edit

Oh, you mean GvKK 2

reecebomb

reecebomb

Quote from: Cougerboy on Dec 04, 2023, 12:56:27 AMYou haven't seen it and you already know? You got some telepathic abiity of something? Hehehe.  :laugh:

Personally, I am hyped to see this. There is nothing wrong with the showa approach if it works. Toho by contrast prefers to stick with the grim and serious side of Godzilla as seen in -1 and that's perfectly fine as well. I think thats good, as audience we get the best of both worlds, we get a choice of both.

I mean after seeing the trailer, it's not hard to imagine how the movie will pan out, considering the previous 2. Lifeless 2hr long video game cutscene is nowhere near as fun as proper Showa madness. Monserverse is a tonally inconsistent mess and will probably be rebooted after this one.

Minus One is more serious in tone but at the same time it's full of cheese. Yet Godzilla himself, even if 3d animated has some proper heft and you can see that they at least tried to keep some of that man is suit effect.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I'm not a big fan of the monsterverse but all I know is that my 8 year old nephew was completly mind blown by GvK. He even cried when Kong was hurt and jumped out of his seat when he came back. Reminded me of how much I used to love the old films when I was his age.

I only watched GvK recently and I thought it was pretty fun if forgetable. Much better than KotM I thought.

Minus One looks better then all of the western stuff to me though, and I really dug Shin.

reecebomb

reecebomb

Ah, to be 8 year old again, I remember really loving Son of Godzilla back then.
Maybe kids today love these but these new Godzilla films are no longer unique, they are variation of the same green screen fast food we've been fed for years.

nanison

nanison

Quote from: Sabres21768 on Dec 04, 2023, 07:18:44 AMAnyone know why Godzilla now has a pink energy glow instead of the original blue?
It looks ridiculous.

Era of LGBTQ, next film it will be all colors of the rainbow

426Buddy

426Buddy

I assumed the color and shape of the spines was a call back to Millenium godzilla. Also looks like he's been powered up from the chrysalis he breaks out of.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: nanison on Dec 04, 2023, 01:13:04 PM
Quote from: Sabres21768 on Dec 04, 2023, 07:18:44 AMAnyone know why Godzilla now has a pink energy glow instead of the original blue?
It looks ridiculous.

Era of LGBTQ, next film it will be all colors of the rainbow
Oh f**k off, he's been pink/purple before.

Master Chief

Master Chief

It looks ridiculous.
Paying homage to Toho's Godzilla 2000.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I don't see how it's any more ridiculous than blue lasers.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed