Aliens: An Analysis

Started by Scorpio, Jan 27, 2018, 02:12:52 AM

Author
Aliens: An Analysis (Read 49,580 times)

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: Jonjamess on Jul 20, 2023, 07:56:19 AMHe's just absolutely not getting it, or I believe he's deliberately not addressing the point out of stubbornness.

As has been mentioned 3 billion times nobody is saying Burke doesn't work for WY. We are saying the movie explicitly tells us Burke uses his position in WY to act 'independently' from what they have specifically asked him to do.

He uses his WY position to get a place on the team going to investigate the loss of contact with a colony. His reasons are that WY has a financial interest in the colony. WY as a company does not think Aliens have overrun the colony, again this is explicitly implied due to the fact they allow the USCM to investigate rather than do it themselves.

Burke believes Ripley might be telling the truth, INDEPENDENTLY of WY as a company (who don't believe her). So he siezes that opportunity to tag along, telling his employers he should go as they have large sums of money invested in the colony and its in their best interests.

He does NOT tell his employers he is going there to try to get them an Alien. He doesn't tell them this because they don't believe the Alien is real and they would likely deny his request to be part of the team or at least challenge his integrity which in turn puts his job at risk. This is what we mean by working alone, WY has no knowledge of his personal intentions for going.

Nobody I'm the company has ordered Burke to go get them an Alien. Nobody in the company has instructed the colonists to go to the Derelict (only Burke does this, again without informing his employees or at least keeping them properly in the loop).

Why would Burke be so worried that Ripley was going to expose him if he had a huge multi billion influential company behind him? Because he is solely responsible for 157 colonist deaths (he has no scapegoat, he can't testify the company made him do it etc). Because they didn't!

I'm really becoming confused as to what is so hard for Ralfy to understand regarding this? It's not complicated.

He works for W-Y, according to Cameron.

He attends the inquiry not as a private individual but as a company representative.

He contacts the colony manager, who's an employee of W-Y, as head of the research division and not as a private individual.

He joins the military rescue mission not as a private individual but representing W-Y, which owns the colony facilities, and for which the colony manager, the Jorden couple, and others are employees.

When he argues against nuking the colony facilities, he does so as a company official, not as a private individual.

When he orders Bishop to prepare the facehuggers for company labs, he does so as a head of the research division of W-Y, not as a private individual who can manage to borrow company labs for his personal use.

The argument that contrarians were making wasn't that Burke was acting independently as head of the research division of W-Y. Rather, he was working as a private individual (not as a company official) who would receive all revenues.

Every point you made repeats mine and goes against what contrarians say.

Quote from: oduodu on Jul 20, 2023, 12:53:07 PMsomeone please make a gif of someone eating popcorn. head back on the couch throwing popcorn into the air hoping it will fall in his mouth.

maybe ralfy is a genius. i'm in the mood for buying the novelisation of aliens and reading it 5 times.

This isn't rocket science, LOL. The points I made come from the movie as well as Cameron's commentary.

Maybe one can come up with other interpretations based on other content of the franchise, but that would be off-topic given the thread title. I thought it best to stick to the first two movies and commentaries on those.

Quote from: S.E.B. on Jul 20, 2023, 06:07:36 PMI mean, IF the Company suspected there were actual alien organisms running around Hadley's Hope, ALIEN 3 shows us what the response from the Company would have looked like. Tons of scientists, heavily armed private commandos in padded armor meant to deal with wild hostile organisms, recording equipment, nets, cages and probably other equipment and weapons specifically deployed to be used in order to capture and contain their prized Xenomorph specimen.

Again, there's nothing in the actual movie that even imples that W-Y higher-ups were in on Burke's plan, or that they instructed Burke what to do once he arrived at LV-426. Nothing in the actual movie that implies that highly ranked USCMC officers were in on whatever it was that Burke and/or the Company were planning on doing.

Now, if any of the future Alien installations confirm your interpretations on-screen, then yeah, congratulations - your hunches and and thoughts are now the official explanation to what lead up to the Acheron operation, its execution and aftermath. But until then, your interpretation of Aliens is just another interpretation - an interpretation that is not backed up by what we see in the actual movie.

Likely Burke was chosen as head of the research division of W-Y because he was the right man for the job. In which case, that would explain why they didn't need to know, especially if something goes wrong. LOL.

In the real world, it's part of initiative and being "pro-active." That's why the OP's reference to the Reagan years was more than appropriate, i.e., I don't think Ronnie knew about what Ollie was doing until it was too late, but Ollie and others were tasks specifically with acting independently, and following only a general strategy given by the heads.

In this case, the general strategy was to monetize alien finds. Why? Because the bio-weapons division needs them. So go out there and make us money, young man, and you'll make a lot, too. We'll handle financing and admin, while legal figures out how to get those pesky ICC officials out of the way.

My point is that when you interpret this movie, you do so given what has been taking place in reality. That's why when you look at the special order in the first movie, Ash secretly implementing them, not only Burke and the Jordens but even Ripley assured of percentages from monetization, the formation of a bio-weapons division that allows business to profit and the military to gain, a point man who's also head of research, etc., then you can't help but go beyond the Dick Dastardly storyline of individuals working alone and companies being neutral, and see what happened during the Vietnam war (which Cameron alluded to in the movie), the Reagan years (with Irangate, etc.), and the military industrial complex. There are even more if you view the video shared in the first post of this thread.

Given that, why didn't W-Y and even the military prepare? I'm guessing that they anticipated that only one alien was involved, i.e., the colonists wouldn't be foolish enough to return to the alien ship. In short, what happened to the colony is similar to what happened to the Nostromo crew, except that the colony has more pesonnel and are also likely armed (i.e., it's also administered by the ECA, which would have had internal security). In which case, sending one squad and a tech would have looked appropriate.

What about W-Y? Since it's a mission that's under military jurisdiction, then it would have not been likely for W-Y to send scientists and techs (according to one wiki, the Sulaco could have probably carried up to 90 personnel). That would have meant sending only Burke (the head of the division tasked to research on alien organisms and tech, among others) to check on the status of the colony personnel who are W-Y employees plus the colony facilities, which are owned by W-Y. (The Marines, in turn, would be working in this case for the ECA, to ensure the safety of all colonists, employees or not.)

But why a unit specializing in "bug hunts" using "state-of-the-art firepower"? It's logical to do so to capture one alien, which they probably assumed was all there was. This might also explain why several of the Marines were overconfident and complacent, seeing this as just another "routine" mission.

Thus, everyone could do what they needed to do: the Marines secure the safety of the colonists by killing the alien and protecting W-Y facilities, Burke acquiring organisms for company labs, and ECA having its colony secure.

That leaves us with Ripley. Why did they need her to come along? It's possible that they thought something worse could have happened or that Ripley didn't tell them everything about the aliens or that Burke could find a way to appease her by showing that they could come out rich from this discovery. There are many points to consider about that and scenes from the movie (which were already discussed) showing that it was pointless to include her or that Burke was mistaken about bringing her along, but I'll discuss those next time.

Quote from: Jonjamess on Jul 20, 2023, 07:43:23 PM
Quote from: S.E.B. on Jul 20, 2023, 06:07:36 PMI mean, IF the Company suspected there were actual alien organisms running around Hadley's Hope, ALIEN 3 shows us what the response from the Company would have looked like. Tons of scientists, heavily armed private commandos in padded armor meant to deal with wild hostile organisms, recording equipment, nets, cages and probably other equipment and weapons specifically deployed to be used in order to capture and contain their prized Xenomorph specimen.

Again, there's nothing in the actual movie that even imples that W-Y higher-ups were in on Burke's plan, or that they instructed Burke what to do once he arrived at LV-426. Nothing in the actual movie that implies that highly ranked USCMC officers were in on whatever it was that Burke and/or the Company were planning on doing.

Now, if any of the future Alien installations confirm your interpretations on-screen, then yeah, congratulations - your hunches and and thoughts are now the official explanation to what lead up to the Acheron operation, its execution and aftermath. But until then, your interpretation of Aliens is just another interpretation - an interpretation that is not backed up by what we see in the actual movie.
OMG thank you. Exactly this. Once they realised the Alien was real they were all over it. But Aliens (the movie explicitly tells you they didn't think at that moment it was real).

Otherwise like you say they would have sent their own ship to Hadley's Hope. I have said this before but Ralfy won't care!

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Jul 20, 2023, 11:24:24 AM
Quote from: Jonjamess on Jul 20, 2023, 07:56:19 AMHe's just absolutely not getting it, or I believe he's deliberately not addressing the point out of stubbornness.

As has been mentioned 3 billion times nobody is saying Burke doesn't work for WY. We are saying the movie explicitly tells us Burke uses his position in WY to act 'independently' from what they have specifically asked him to do.

He uses his WY position to get a place on the team going to investigate the loss of contact with a colony. His reasons are that WY has a financial interest in the colony. WY as a company does not think Aliens have overrun the colony, again this is explicitly implied due to the fact they allow the USCM to investigate rather than do it themselves.

Burke believes Ripley might be telling the truth, INDEPENDENTLY of WY as a company (who don't believe her). So he siezes that opportunity to tag along, telling his employers he should go as they have large sums of money invested in the colony and its in their best interests.

He does NOT tell his employers he is going there to try to get them an Alien. He doesn't tell them this because they don't believe the Alien is real and they would likely deny his request to be part of the team or at least challenge his integrity which in turn puts his job at risk. This is what we mean by working alone, WY has no knowledge of his personal intentions for going.

Nobody I'm the company has ordered Burke to go get them an Alien. Nobody in the company has instructed the colonists to go to the Derelict (only Burke does this, again without informing his employees or at least keeping them properly in the loop).

Why would Burke be so worried that Ripley was going to expose him if he had a huge multi billion influential company behind him? Because he is solely responsible for 157 colonist deaths (he has no scapegoat, he can't testify the company made him do it etc). Because they didn't!

I'm really becoming confused as to what is so hard for Ralfy to understand regarding this? It's not complicated.

I think the single most obvious factor that Ralfy glosses over to suit his argument is that if Burke is retrieving an Alien on company orders as Ralfy would have you believe, then how the f**k does Burke hope to SELL it to the company? 😂 You don't buy what you already own.

"Hey, we got an alien through ICC quarantine as we planned, let's buy it from ourselves".

Muppet.
But we've (I've) told him 10 times Burke wasn't trying to sell the Alien! He was just trying to get a promotion, favour and a massive paycheck.

Just because W-Y wasn't still sure there were aliens means they didn't care. Why else would they have a bio-weapons division?

They could have sent their own ship, but didn't need to because the Marines did. Also, who is the main customer of the bio-weapons division if not the military? Who provides security to a colony administered by ECA if not the same?

Finally, you don't get a promotion and a massive paycheck out of the blue. You do so by "selling" the alien.

Jonjamess

Jonjamess

I've no idea anymore what your trying to do. It's clearly trolling at this point. You are point blank ignoring everything I and others say. Your points don't even have any points.

You're just repeating yourself over and over again with points that while some are correct  have no contradiction to what we are all saying.

Next time you reply to myself or anyone else address the points we are making instead of going off on a completely irrelevant tangent.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: Jonjamess on Jul 21, 2023, 10:08:51 AMI've no idea anymore what your trying to do. It's clearly trolling at this point. You are point blank ignoring everything I and others say. Your points don't even have any points.

You're just repeating yourself over and over again with points that while some are correct  have no contradiction to what we are all saying.

Next time you reply to myself or anyone else address the points we are making instead of going off on a completely irrelevant tangent.

Ive said it before and I'll say it again; If EVERYONE just puts him on ignore, he can sit and repeat himself into oblivion. If nobody engages with him, he has nobody to spam. When he is no longer getting any attention, or receiving replies, he will either go away, or continue repeating to himself like he has for last five years...the power is in our hands...just hit the 'ignore' button, lol. Don't feed the troll.

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: Jonjamess on Jul 21, 2023, 10:08:51 AMI've no idea anymore what your trying to do. It's clearly trolling at this point. You are point blank ignoring everything I and others say. Your points don't even have any points.

I'm not ignoring but countering every point you say. Why do you think my messages are so detailed?

I'm repeating myself because you make the same wrong points, so I give the same detailed responses which you can't counter.

Finally, what completely irrelevant tangents? Point them out, and I'll show you why they're not so.

Eal

Eal

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Jul 21, 2023, 03:12:37 PM

Ive said it before and I'll say it again; If EVERYONE just puts him on ignore, he can sit and repeat himself into oblivion. If nobody engages with him, he has nobody to spam. When he is no longer getting any attention, or receiving replies, he will either go away, or continue repeating to himself like he has for last five years...the power is in our hands...just hit the 'ignore' button, lol. Don't feed the troll.
Lol. Lmao.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

You know you want to click "Show me the post." 8)

Eal

Eal

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 22, 2023, 02:39:32 AMYou know you want to click "Show me the post." 8)

Honestly? The thought of him putting a ton of effort into writing long posts, only to have no one read or respond to them is way more hilarious to me.

Jonjamess

Jonjamess

Quote from: ralfy on Jul 21, 2023, 11:45:14 PM

I'm not ignoring but countering every point you say. Why do you think my messages are so detailed?

I'm repeating myself because you make the same wrong points, so I give the same detailed responses which you can't counter.

Finally, what completely irrelevant tangents? Point them out, and I'll show you why they're not so.

No, you aren't countering any points on making. You're just repeating again and again Burke works for WY and what division which nobody is even disputing! It's like having a debate with a child who is just saying words that don't make sense for the sake of saying words.

Sorry, YOU are incorrect. Nobody else is agreeing with you, most have put you on ignore. You believe logic suggests you are likely to be in the right when 80% of other people who have seen the same movie hundreds of times disagree with you? How does that work then? Are you suggesting the rest of us don't understand the movie and only you do?

It's hilarious you think WY were desperate to get an Alien but ignored a colony situated right next to the Derelict for 20 plus years and then sent some average Marines to go investigate those 20 years later and couldn't be bothered to do it themselves. It's just bizarre where you are trying to get your logic from.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: caffeine4671 on Jul 22, 2023, 01:37:45 AM

Lol. Lmao.
https://i.imgur.com/yJRKHWe.png

Lmao, I didn't know you could rename users on the forum 🤣

Eal

Eal

Quote from: Jonjamess on Jul 22, 2023, 10:50:32 AM
Quote from: Some Tankie Muppet on Jul 21, 2023, 11:45:14 PM[unintelligible strings of characters that resemble language somewhat]

No, you aren't countering any points on making. You're just repeating again and again Burke works for WY and what division which nobody is even disputing! It's like having a debate with a child who is just saying words that don't make sense for the sake of saying words.

Sorry, YOU are incorrect. Nobody else is agreeing with you, most have put you on ignore. You believe logic suggests you are likely to be in the right when 80% of other people who have seen the same movie hundreds of times disagree with you? How does that work then? Are you suggesting the rest of us don't understand the movie and only you do?

It's hilarious you think WY were desperate to get an Alien but ignored a colony situated right next to the Derelict for 20 plus years and then sent some average Marines to go investigate those 20 years later and couldn't be bothered to do it themselves. It's just bizarre where you are trying to get your logic from.

Who are you replying to? ::)

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Jul 22, 2023, 01:54:31 PM
Quote from: caffeine4671 on Jul 22, 2023, 01:37:45 AM

Lol. Lmao.
https://i.imgur.com/yJRKHWe.png

Lmao, I didn't know you could rename users on the forum 🤣
Alas, you can't...but you can edit the raw html text on a webpage and screenshot it just fine~ ;)

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: Jonjamess on Jul 22, 2023, 10:50:32 AM
Quote from: ralfy on Jul 21, 2023, 11:45:14 PM

Explain how my words don't make sense.

How does your second point make sense in a thread that needs to employ logic because it's an analysis of the movie?

I didn't argue that W-Y didn't ignore the colony on the rock but the opposite.

Also, they didn't send "average Marines," as Gorman and Burke pointed out to Ripley, but those who specialize in taking down alien organisms. That's why even the Marines took it as a matter-of-fact when they noted that it's going to be "another bug hunt."

QuoteHudson: Is this going to be a stand-up fight, Sir, on another bug-hunt?

Gorman: All we know is that there's still no contact with the colony and that a xenomorph may be involved.

Frost: A what?

Hicks: It's a bug-hunt.

In short, they assumed that it's only one xenomorph, and that unlike the Nostromo crew they could easily neutralize it with the firepower they carried.

According to Cameron, Burke was head of the research division of W-Y. That means he was in charge of what the company should do, and I'm guessing that he thought the same way as the Marines: it's only one xenomorph that's involved because he assumed that the colonists would not be foolish enough to return to the alien ship, which is why he decided to join them without the need to bring more armed men, scientists, and techs. He figured that he would do that after the Marines kill the single xenomorph, secure the colony, and repair the transmitter. In short, W-Y did "bother," but they did it through their research division, first. After that, the reverse-engineering and bio-weapons divisions would "bother" next.

With that, we have the following problems:

Why did Burke and Gorman want Ripley to join them? I'm guessing that they thought that she would give them additional details on neutralizing the alien. Notice, too, that Gorman goes against what he told Ripley,

QuoteGorman: You wouldn't be going in with the troops. I can guarantee your safety.

That is, she did go with the troops.

In addition, it looks he was also a replacement, as Vasquez did not know his background. Before that, he was meeting with Burke. Is this something worth considering, or is it just another way to express the complacency and arrogance of the Marines?

What was going on between the time Jorden was infected and the time the transmitter went down? Did the colony manager contact Burke or anyone (ECA, for example) after Jordan was infected, together with several others? (The Marines found several dead and living facehuggers, with the live ones removed but which killed their hosts.)

One can argue that they didn't, but that would be unrealistic (a colony with managers and local government administrations, and not one bothers to contact W-Y or even ECA and report what happened to Jorden?), so it's possible that they did so at least until a xenomorph, which means Burke would still assume that only one xenomorph is involved. But even if there were two, one can argue that the squad was good enough to handle both.

Here's one view that goes against the cartoon interpretation of the movie, i.e., Burke is some sort of Dick Dastardly.

https://rapidtransmission.blogspot.com/2019/01/aliens.html

QuoteAlien 2 criticizes the results of the military-industrial complex in the United States. The alien problem is created artificially by the Weyland-Yutani Corporation. They want to further study the Xenomorph XX121 species, regardless of the harm they cause to their employees. So, Wey-Yu creates a colony on LV-426, the planet playing host to the crash-landed derelict ship that Ripley and her crew encountered in the first Alien movie.

A family on the new colony is sent to the crash site, lambs to the slaughter, really. The family makes first contact and quickly meets their demise, save for Newt. Eventually, the rest of the colony is summarily killed by the not-so-friendly Xenomorphs. Conflict created, in come the soldiers, complete with a futuristic, tank-like vehicle and hi-tech weaponry—the sentry guns are particularly awesome. All of this gear is a direct reflection of our own MCI. In the US, the military-industrial complex requires constant war and a constant upgrading of weapons technology, including miniaturization, automation, lethality, and speed.

The company doesn't develop an economy because it wants to investigate the alien ship. Rather, it does so to terra-form it and prepare it for mining operations. According to Cameron, the distress beacon malfunctioned because of volcanic activity, which is why they never knew about the alien ship until they retrieved the flight recorder from the Nostromo lifeboat (also, according to Cameron).

Given that, the rest of the points in this analysis are notable because they point to the same MIC which viewers intent on seeing the movie as similar to another episode of "Wacky Races" won't realize: people like Burke don't work alone, i.e., as private individuals. He works for W-Y and is head of a research division that supports, among others, a bio-weapons division. He also receives things like paychecks for his work, and receives more if he takes the initiative. They're seen as "go-getters" in business, or people who are "pro-active." They don't need to wait for the W-Y CEO to tell them what to do because as heads of divisions they are tasked with working independently but still following the general strategy enshrined in the mission-vision statement (LOL) of the company, but in case one wants a short cut, it's maximization of profit. And in Burke's case, supply the bio-weapons division with potential bio-weapons. As for the rest--the Nostromo Crew, the Jordens, etc.--it's percentages and early retirement.

That's why the cartoon view of Burke working alone falls apart, with some resorting to revising that and meaning that he worked for the company but still worked independently. Of course, that's what heads of divisions in companies do.

But in this case, it's not just a company but an industry that's intertwined with the military (and government) as one complex: one profits from selling advanced weaponry to the other, and the other using such weaponry to its advantage and costs passed on as public debt.

Which is what we see in the current MIC, and which is why the Reagan administration, among others, was mentioned in the OP of this thread. Put simply, far from the cartoon storyline of individual villains and neutral companies and even governments, we see a mirror of reality, where individuals are part of and are tools of a complex of industry and government colluding with each other.

More on that in light of a blue collar ethos in a future post.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

SiL

SiL

I feel like we're tipping into bullying territory here.

We can just put him on ignore and move on.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Maybe we can have him analyze Alien 3 next.

Eal

Eal

We could also just let it die.....

But that doesn't seem like it'll happen, so ChatGPT will now explain to us why Alien 3 is a metaphor for worker's exploitation.

QuoteAlien 3, directed by David Fincher and released in 1992, can be interpreted as a film about worker's exploitation within a dystopian, corporate-controlled universe. This interpretation draws upon several key elements and themes present in the movie.

1. Corporate dominance: Throughout the Alien franchise, the Weyland-Yutani Corporation is portrayed as a powerful and unscrupulous entity. In Alien 3, we see the corporation's influence extend even to a remote prison planet (Fury 161), where they maintain control over both the inmates and the prison staff. The corporation's primary concern is the retrieval of the xenomorph alien specimen, even if it means sacrificing the lives of the workers on the planet.

2. Disposable labor: The prisoners on Fury 161 are a prime example of an exploited workforce. These inmates are essentially forced labor, working under harsh conditions without any rights or hope for a better future. The corporation sees them as expendable resources, disregarding their well-being and treating them as mere pawns in their pursuit of the alien organism.

3. Lack of agency: The workers on Fury 161 have little to no say in the decisions that affect their lives. The arrival of Ripley and the xenomorph crash-landing on the planet further exacerbates their exploitation. The prison's administrative staff, represented by Superintendent Andrews, prioritizes the corporation's interests over the safety and autonomy of the workers.

4. Themes of sacrifice and martyrdom: As the film progresses, it becomes clear that the workers on Fury 161 are essentially sacrificing themselves to protect the rest of humanity from the alien threat. Their lives are deemed less valuable than the potential financial gains of weaponizing the alien organism. This self-sacrifice echoes the struggles of real-world workers who endure dangerous conditions and poor treatment in the name of profit for large corporations.

5. Powerlessness against authority: The prisoners' lack of power and influence over their circumstances mirrors the power dynamics seen in exploitative labor systems. They are trapped in a remote facility, far from any support or oversight, at the mercy of the corporation and its representatives. This powerlessness highlights the vulnerability of workers when pitted against immense corporate forces.

6. Alien as a metaphor: The xenomorph itself can be seen as a metaphor for the consequences of unchecked corporate greed and exploitation. It represents an uncontrollable, destructive force that wreaks havoc on the workers, symbolizing the negative impact of capitalist exploitation on the labor force and society at large.

In conclusion, Alien 3 can be interpreted as a critique of worker's exploitation within a dystopian future where corporations hold immense power and control over labor. By portraying the prisoners as disposable and voiceless, the film sheds light on the darker aspects of corporate dominance and the price that workers may pay when their value is reduced to mere profit margins.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed