Aliens: An Analysis

Started by Scorpio, Jan 27, 2018, 02:12:52 AM

Author
Aliens: An Analysis (Read 49,627 times)

SiL

SiL

Ralfy needs to rewatch the film without assuming the movie is lying to him and actually listen to what's said.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Oct 31, 2022, 10:45:23 AMI'd say it's just an elaborate troll except the coming back years later and super high effort posts make it... extremely unlikely.

That's right: a troll gives only low-effort posts, include one-line snide remarks. Others, though, aren't trolls, but unable to win an argument ends up giving one-liners with LOLs and "whatever."

FWIW, I came back because I saw the movie again recently, and then considered these additional points, which I decided to share in this thread which I believe is dedicated to such discussions. Or am I mistaken?

One more thing: I'm very much an Alien franchise fan, having seen the first one in the theaters when it was released (don't ask how; LOL). So I take these discussions seriously, although I don't want to antagonize others.

Last point: I've been receiving a lot of heat for what I said about Prey in another thread, a movie that I found annoying. I hope this is not one of those "fanboi" forums, where members who think any negative view of what they're crazy about is "bait".

Engineer

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: SiL on Nov 01, 2022, 03:08:29 AMRalfy needs to rewatch the film without assuming the movie is lying to him and actually listen to what's said.
Actually, I did, which is why I am re-posting here. I'm also guided by the movie script.

Engineer

Engineer

QuoteLast point: I've been receiving a lot of heat for what I said about Prey in another thread, a movie that I found annoying. I hope this is not one of those "fanboi" forums, where members who think any negative view of what they're crazy about is "bait".

The heat you've been receiving at the other thread isn't because of your opinion of the film; it's because of your use of the term "Mary sue" and "gary Stu." Those terms have been overused lately, much like the term "woke," and it is generally used for a specific criticism in modern times that is less about the content of the film and more about the political-beliefs of the person who is commenting.

My advice (and this is genuine advice) avoid using terms that have become politically divisive. Share your criticisms without the jargon that could be misconstrued as politically-charged and you won't get that sort of heat.

SiL

SiL

No they really do just go hard on you in the Prey section if you don't like the movie.

Like sure, his use of politically charged terms doesn't help, but removing them won't stop people getting reaaal defensive.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

@ralfy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 08, 2014, 09:35:50 PMThe way Burke phrased it, it sounded like it was someone else at the company who agreed to pick up Ripley's flight contract.  Maybe they did it at Burke's behest with no questions asked.  I don't know.  I'm not saying that whoever did it was in on it.  If anyone was in on it to any degree, I'd say it was someone in the bioweapons division who was expecting a specimen of "something interesting."

The company didn't have free rein over the colony.  They owned a lot of the assets there and employed a lot of the settlers, but the colony itself was governed by the ECA.

I think you and the rest of us have different definitions of Burke working alone.

The fact that the ECA sent the USCM means they thought there might be something to Ripley's story after all, so they dispatched a military force and briefed them on the possibility of a "xenomorph" as a precaution.  It would have been negligent of them to do otherwise at that point.  Burke didn't need to convince them to do this and none of it requires a conspiracy.

SiL

SiL

Ralfy seems under the impression that when we say "working alone" we literally mean running the whole bioweapons division or something? I can't work it out.

Burke is working alone trying to get Aliens back to the Company so he can get a big payday from them. Nobody else is in on what he's doing because that would undermine his claim, something he goes to lengths to avoid.

He's small fry looking for his break and he thinks Ripley is it.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I'd imagine the higher-ups at Weyland-Yutani wouldn't be too impressed with Burke's actions either.  Even if they didn't care about the lives of the colonists, he set into a motion a series of events that cost them their entire investment on LV-426.

If he had "made a major security situation out of it," there's no reason to believe that the company wouldn't have reaped the rewards of the discovery.  It'd just mean that Burke's slice of the pie would have been significantly smaller, if he got anything at all.

SiL

SiL

He's a director, so he might get a nice end of year bonus. But clearly whatever he'd get through official channels pales to what he thinks he'd get circumventing his bosses.

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 01, 2022, 04:35:56 AM@ralfy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 08, 2014, 09:35:50 PMThe way Burke phrased it, it sounded like it was someone else at the company who agreed to pick up Ripley's flight contract.  Maybe they did it at Burke's behest with no questions asked.  I don't know.  I'm not saying that whoever did it was in on it.  If anyone was in on it to any degree, I'd say it was someone in the bioweapons division who was expecting a specimen of "something interesting."

The company didn't have free rein over the colony.  They owned a lot of the assets there and employed a lot of the settlers, but the colony itself was governed by the ECA.

I think you and the rest of us have different definitions of Burke working alone.

The fact that the ECA sent the USCM means they thought there might be something to Ripley's story after all, so they dispatched a military force and briefed them on the possibility of a "xenomorph" as a precaution.  It would have been negligent of them to do otherwise at that point.  Burke didn't need to convince them to do this and none of it requires a conspiracy.

That's right. Burke didn't need to convince them because he wasn't acting alone.

Meanwhile, their decision to investigate the matter contradicts their conclusion that Ripley story's can't be proven. For that conclusion to be made, they would not have discussed the location of the alien ship during the hearing (which is the only thing that could have proven Ripley's case) because Ripley only raised it to van Leuwen after the hearing. The reason why we're sure about this is because it's only then that Ripley is informed about the presence of the colony. Had she raised the point of the landing site during the hearing, then she would have known about colony.

Is it possible that Ripley and the board didn't talk about the location of the landing because they had no information about it? Likely not because Burke knew about it. Since there's no other place to get it except from the deposition and/or the hearing, then that meant that Ripley and the rest of the board had the same information, too, but didn't talk about it during the investigation, which is incredibly absurd because that's the only evidence that would proven Ripley's case. Everything else she says during the hearing could only be proven through ship logs which don't exist, except for flight recorder information that, according to van Leuwen, only mentions that the Nostromo landed and then resumed course.

In addition, Ripley would have probably not been surprised later by discovering that Burke had contacted the colony because the main reason why Burke asks for her help is that they've lost communication with the colony. One can argue that Burke was probably referring to something like routine communications from the colony (hence, it might just be a downed transmitter), but the fact that he asks Ripley for help, plans to come with an armed group, and assures Ripley that the penalties against her from the board would be reversed means that that's not the case. Even then, Ripley would have guessed that the colony had been wiped out and that they are mounting an expedition to recover alien artifacts and organisms.

Quote from: SiL on Nov 01, 2022, 05:16:39 AMRalfy seems under the impression that when we say "working alone" we literally mean running the whole bioweapons division or something? I can't work it out.

Burke is working alone trying to get Aliens back to the Company so he can get a big payday from them. Nobody else is in on what he's doing because that would undermine his claim, something he goes to lengths to avoid.

He's small fry looking for his break and he thinks Ripley is it.

"Working alone" means he contacted the colony on his own initiative and was able to get an armed group together without the military asking him why. That also implies that he was the only one who had information about the location of the alien ship because, as the conclusion and Ripley and van Leuwen's discussion after the hearing showed, they never talked about the location during the hearing. But that in turn contradicts the fact that Burke had access to the location info, which he could have gotten only from the hearing. That also meant that Ripley and the board knew the same info.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: ralfy on Nov 02, 2022, 02:00:46 AMIs it possible that Ripley and the board didn't talk about the location of the landing because they had no information about it?

From the board's point of view, if Ripley's story was true then the derelict's beacon would have been detected years earlier by whomever surveyed the planet for colonization.

Anyone else who detected the beacon would have been able to home in on it just like the Nostromo did, so they wouldn't even need the precise landing location.  But there was no beacon, so the board had no reason to believe the rest of Ripley's story.

It wasn't until Earth mysteriously lost contact with the colony that anyone besides Burke started to take her story more seriously and at least consider it a possibility.

Don't take my word for it, though.  This is from James Cameron's response to critics of Aliens on page 34 of Starlog #125:

QuoteBriggs' next problem was "Why do the colonists not pick up the derelict SOS?" by which I assume he is referring to the acoustic beacon broadcasting a "warning." As some readers may know, scenes were filmed but cut from the final release version of the film which depicted the discovery of the derelict by a mom-and-pop geological survey (i.e.: prospecting) team. As scripted, they were given the general coordinates of its position by the manager of the colony, on orders from Carter Burke. It is not directly stated, but presumed, that Burke could only have gotten that information from Ripley or from the black-box flight recorder aboard the shuttle Narcissus, which accessed the Nostromo's on-board computer. When the Jorden family, including young Newt, reach the coordinates, they discover the derelict ship. Since we and the Nostromo crew last saw it, it has been damaged by volcanic activity, a lava flow having crushed it against a rock outcropping and ripped open its hull. Aside from considerations of visual interest, this serves as a justification for the acoustic beacon being non-operational.

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 01, 2022, 05:40:46 AMI'd imagine the higher-ups at Weyland-Yutani wouldn't be too impressed with Burke's actions either.  Even if they didn't care about the lives of the colonists, he set into a motion a series of events that cost them their entire investment on LV-426.

If he had "made a major security situation out of it," there's no reason to believe that the company wouldn't have reaped the rewards of the discovery.  It'd just mean that Burke's slice of the pie would have been significantly smaller, if he got anything at all.

OTOH, given the insistence of the company to require their crews to investigate anomalies, it appears that they have no qualms sacrificing space trucking crews and what might even be a basic "shake 'n' bake" project using planet engineers, and part of over three hundred worlds. It also doesn't help that even space truckers and wildcatters are willing to pay along in exchange for a nice cut.

In short, they're all generally Burkes.

About making a major security situation out of it, then that's probably also a foregone conclusion, i.e., given heavily armed marine teams that do "bug hunts" and even encounter Arcturians, whatever that means.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Russ Jorden was certainly planning to get a huge payday too.  He even made a call back to the colony to verify that his claim would be honored.

Of course, that doesn't mean they'd all sacrifice each other over a percentage like Burke.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed