Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,367,220 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Puks on Jan 14, 2010, 08:52:42 PM
Quotefacial expresions

Dinosaurs didn't have facial expressions.

And you know that based on...

Puks

Puks

Birds and reptiles of today.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

JP3 will be 10 years old next year, hard to believe it been almost 10 years since we did not had a JP movie.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Puks on Jan 14, 2010, 09:16:57 PM
Birds and reptiles of today.

Valid, but then again, it's proven that dromaeosaurids can indeed communicate with one another due to their brain structure, so I wouldn't write off facial expressions, at least basic ones.

Puks

Puks

Quoteit's proven that dromaeosaurids can indeed communicate with one another due to their brain structure

Link or it didn't happen.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Puks

Puks

A lot of speculation.

There is no conclusive evidence they lived in packs nor communicated via sound (although they probably did).

The only recent animal species hunting in coordinated groups are some carnivores (lions and canids - note most carnivores are solitary) and they are far more intelligent than your average turkey.. ehm.. raptor.

Either way, what has this to do with facial expressions? Not even carnivores have them, instead they express emotions by body posture. Only higher primates make faces.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

They would have had to have hunted in packs. There's no other way for them to have hunted and lived because of the prey that was around at that time. Maybe not lived together, but hunted, I highly believe it.

SiL

SiL

Velociraptors weren't up against much prey bigger than them; there's no real reason they couldn't have hunted on their own.

The raptors in the original Jurassic Park snarled - That's about as far as you could really get for facial expression. You'd think someone would've made a note of muscle attachments on the face and said "Hey, they can make faces" by now.

Puks

Puks

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jan 15, 2010, 03:29:06 AM
They would have had to have hunted in packs. There's no other way for them to have hunted and lived because of the prey that was around at that time. Maybe not lived together, but hunted, I highly believe it.

There was plenty of prey not bigger than your average dromaeosaurid (be it Velociraptor or Utahraptor). Really big dinos, like sauropods, were hunted by larger carnivores - families like Allosauridae, Spinosauridae, Tyrannosauridae, etc. 

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I doubt Tyrannosaurids hunted in packs. Maybe pairs, but if we're talking prey, the largest land animal of the Late Cretaceous would've been Triceratops, or maybe a male hadrosaurid. Such animals would not require pack hunting techniques to bring them down.

Puks

Puks

Where have I stated tyrannosaurids hunted in packs?

Undeadite

Undeadite

Ok, so I'm sitting here reading this... fascinating argument, and all I can do is cry over the fact that I have forgotten almost all dino nomenclature. How come at age 10 I could speak it like a primary language, but now all I can muster is "that big one with the teeth"?  :'( :'( :'(

chupacabras acheronsis

chupacabras acheronsis

Quote from: SiL on Jan 15, 2010, 07:38:33 AM
Velociraptors weren't up against much prey bigger than them; there's no real reason they couldn't have hunted on their own.

Lies.

SiL

SiL

Then post truths!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed