Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,367,000 times)

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Godzillakuj94 on Jun 23, 2018, 07:52:17 AM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Jun 23, 2018, 02:43:36 AM
This movie was awesome but it's dark tone probably left a lot of people in the dumps. I mean the ending is outright depressive.
Spoiler
It's pretty much a complete loss for the good guys.
[close]
Spoiler
it's only a mansion full of dinosaurs, realistically the army could do the job. Unless the smaller ones find a way to reproduce on the mainland.
[close]
Yea but that is why it is so damn depressing.

Spoiler
And a complete loss. They wanted to save the dinos but they're all doomed. It would have been more merciful to let them die by the gas. Well aside from Blue, because you can't kill the star. Then you have the bit where fraction from all over the world now posses the power to created murderous raptors.
[close]

The Empire Strikes Back has nothing on this sequel. :P

blood.

blood.

I liked the cinematography and effects. It's a nice movie to look at.

BUT WHAT IS THE NARRATIVE OF THIS MOVIE?

I'm confused at what the narrative actually is.
The people we're following don't do ANYTHING.
Well. They perform a blood transfusion.
Besides that, people are just... there?
All the things they're supposed to do, they fail at!
I almost feel like Friar Tuck (the pachy :laugh:) was the closest thing to a protagonist.

Spoiler
She (the pachy) does all the things that a hero should do in the boundaries of the story.
1. Gets off the island (off screen obv)
2. Escapes her enclosure and frees some humans while doing it.
3. Spoils the party and takes out some bad dudes.
4. Escapes the haunted house to freedom.(pretty sure it does, i've already forgotten a lot of this movie :-X)

The endoraptor sub plot... err main plot? is killed by PURE LUCK. The people are there for NO REASON.

This STORY is terrible and the characters are bland cliches.
[close]

Also, rip big momma dino  :'(  cheap nasty trick from a pretentious movie.

Actually, I don't give enough credit to the little girl surprise, shines light on an ethical discussion, so that's good I guess.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

The movies narrative is opening Pandora's Box. People are literally just there with utterly no concept of the power before them. The Fallen Kingdom is mankind with Ian Malcolm's pretentious gruff saying "told you so" in the next movie.

God creates Dinos.
God kills Dinos.
God creates man.
Man kills God.
Man creates dinos.
Dinos kill Man.
Dino's create God.
God creates Man.
Man kills Dinos.
God kills Man.
God creates AI.

Xan21

Xan21

Well the first JP had also quite the depressing ending ... that I did not have any problem with and it looked impressive with all the great shots... it was the third act that made me depressed and deflated with those cringy cliche villains and dayplayers.

blood.

blood.

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jun 23, 2018, 09:26:36 AM
The movies narrative is opening Pandora's Box. People are literally just there with utterly no concept of the power before them. The Fallen Kingdom is mankind with Ian Malcolm's pretentious gruff saying "told you so" in the next movie.

God creates Dinos.
God kills Dinos.
God creates man.
Man kills God.
Man creates dinos.
Dinos kill Man.
Dino's create God.
God creates Man.
Man kills Dinos.
God kills Man.
God creates AI.

:o There are no strings on whiterabbit  :laugh:

SRS tho... that as you say at the expense of the characters we're meant to cheer for?

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

I hate to admit it
Spoiler
but none of them were in any danger of dying. However, the "good guys" are the ones through wholly virtuous intentions allowed all hell to break out of the box and escape into real life. The characters are constantly reminding us of that throughout the entire film. Of whom are the very people we are meant to be cheering for, the very people that will get all of us killed. Then again, a child watching this wouldn't immediately recognize that and it is camouflaged with cartoony over the top villains and a ton of Dino-chomping action. All of the darkness is saved for us adults.

However yea, just look at Malcom trying to explain it to an incompetent congress, the dumbass help only thinking of trophies and pay checks and the naive heroes who keep making the same dumb mistakes. Even when Claire makes the right decision, the next generation goes ahead and pushes the button anyways. Copy or not.
[close]

Mankind is clueless in the movie and that is because we can't help but destroy ourselves. The madness of the villains is the point.

blood.

blood.

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jun 23, 2018, 11:16:27 AM
Spoiler
but none of them were in any danger of dying. However, the "good guys" are the ones through wholly virtuous intentions allowed all hell to break out of the box and escape into real life.....

......Of whom are the very people we are meant to be cheering for, the very people that will get all of us killed.
[close]

Well yeah... that's pretty common in a lot of movies, it creates a problem that needs to be resolved and sets the foundation for character development, to change their views, right their wrongs while solving the problems they put themselves in... none of which happened in this film! they're just along for the ride. I guess humans as a whole could be viewed as a single cumulative character, and the dinosaurs as their own character... and the indoraptor the demon in the closet. I guess the movie makes a little more sense looking at it like that... but it is still at the expense of the individuals

Gate

Gate

This is going to be the best of the new films, hands down. I still can't believe Bayona had me ugly sobbing over f**king dinosaurs.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: blood. on Jun 23, 2018, 11:57:29 AM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Jun 23, 2018, 11:16:27 AM
Spoiler
but none of them were in any danger of dying. However, the "good guys" are the ones through wholly virtuous intentions allowed all hell to break out of the box and escape into real life.....

......Of whom are the very people we are meant to be cheering for, the very people that will get all of us killed.
[close]

Well yeah... that's pretty common in a lot of movies, it creates a problem that needs to be resolved and sets the foundation for character development, to change their views, right their wrongs while solving the problems they put themselves in... none of which happened in this film! they're just along for the ride. I guess humans as a whole could be viewed as a single cumulative character, and the dinosaurs as their own character... and the indoraptor the demon in the closet. I guess the movie makes a little more sense looking at it like that... but it is still at the expense of the individuals
This is the middle part of what appears to be an obvious trilogy
Spoiler
and yes there wasn't any character development. The first movie ends in disaster. Remember that poor lady who was watching the kids? That was straight up unemphatic and never even acknowledge in any way if I recall correctly. This movie then ends on an even bigger disaster. This franchises is focusing directly on the message that human beings are incapable of understanding. The only thing that understands at the end of the film was Blue when he forsake his father and leaves, again.

All that aside just where the hell are they going to take the next movie. Weaponized dino's conquering the world? Dino-human hybrids as was originally envisioned? Or dare I say the planet of the apes route. In which case the humans really don't have much value anyways.
[close]

I really have to watch the movie again but I had a great time because I watched it as a horror/sci-fi/dystopian movie. Thinking to myself ok, I get it, this is the second step towards mankind's collapse. I found the hedonistic irony very assuming throughout the film. Hedonism was a central theme. Owen and Claire do everything in their power to fulfill their need for happiness all the while ignoring that happiness is as simple as warm embrace.

Quote from: Gate on Jun 23, 2018, 12:24:10 PM
This is going to be the best of the new films, hands down. I still can't believe Bayona had me ugly sobbing over f**king dinosaurs.
You're making me feel uncomfortable. I didn't cry one tear. While that dino was stuck on the pier all I was thinking about was how the f**k could owen out run a pyroclastic flow and why isn't that dino dead yet. And then why did they have the dinos, even when running for their lives, still try and kill other dinos. Well yea I know, for the action.

Highland

Highland

I saw this today, not bad, decent and some very nice effects and visuals. Nice sound too. Probably about on par with JW, maybe slightly below.

One thing that puzzled me about the end

Spoiler
did they just mean to copy the endings of the other movies like a tribute? The T Rex shot I would believe if you told me it was the exact scene from JP just copy and pasted. Pratt says buy to blue (again) like JW and then we get the pterodactyls flying off like JP2 ( was it that one?).

I felt like the ending was just a montage of all the other endings.
[close]

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

It's fan service, that ole T-rex had a lot of cameos. No one can complain the T-rex didn't get screen time. Plus that beginning, more fan service. The fan servicing was strong in this movie. However you did notice that nice big town down there right at the end... right? The ending is very different from JP.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jun 23, 2018, 12:55:32 PM
It's fan service, that ole T-rex had a lot of cameos. No one can complain the T-rex didn't get screen time. Plus that beginning, more fan service. The fan servicing was strong in this movie. However you did notice that nice big town down there right at the end... right? The ending is very different from JP.

Well
Spoiler
there's tribute, then there's just a straight up copy. The T Rex literally does the same pose with the same piece of music, that's a scene everyone remembers clearly and it was exactly the same, not a bit like it, exactly.

Also yeah...raptor roaring at City , same as JW T Rex ending, front shot of creature pans around to behind, creature roars cut credits.

The only thing was yeah, it was suburbia
[close]

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

The dread is entirely different.

Spoiler
In both JP and JW. In both of the movies the dino's are confined. That includes JP2 and JP3, both of which gives us a taste of rampage/escaping dinos. However in JW2 the cat is out of the bag. The ending plays homage to all the previous films but also ups the stakes. I mean the T-rex used to just roar for the camera. This time he's roar as a predator and that lion is going to lose.
[close]

It's kind of annoying how a lot of people see this as only being mindless dino action, which of course a lot of it is. However it is also about our nature to destroy ourselves and the danger of genetics. Lots of movie use inorganic AI as the threat but good old fashion natural intelligence can also eat us.

Naginata

Naginata

Well.

They didn't quite Gremlins 2 it, but my God did they just not give a f**k. This was the correct attitude, as it turned out, and the film was better for it. The Dinosaurs are the good guys, the venture capitalists are the bad guys, and Trump-quoting military contractors are there to be slaughtered while I giggle and bounce in my seat like a six year old Hellion on a sugar rush. Not since 'Flesh' ran in 2000AD has dinosaur mayhem been so gleefully misanthropic.

Spoiler

Was only the only one thinking 'PUSH THE DAMN BUTTON' at the climax? Well done, Clone Girl!
[close]

Highland

Highland

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jun 23, 2018, 08:19:20 PM
The dread is entirely different.

Spoiler
In both JP and JW. In both of the movies the dino's are confined. That includes JP2 and JP3, both of which gives us a taste of rampage/escaping dinos. However in JW2 the cat is out of the bag. The ending plays homage to all the previous films but also ups the stakes. I mean the T-rex used to just roar for the camera. This time he's roar as a predator and that lion is going to lose.
[close]

It's kind of annoying how a lot of people see this as only being mindless dino action, which of course a lot of it is. However it is also about our nature to destroy ourselves and the danger of genetics. Lots of movie use inorganic AI as the threat but good old fashion natural intelligence can also eat us.

No I like the premise and all that, and I thought the film was decent but the but I'm talking about is
Spoiler
when he rips the bad guy in half, it's quite literally the exact image and music from Jurassic Park when the flag falls. I'm interested to see them overly those two scenes. It's not just a bit like it, to me it looked like the copied it exactly.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed