Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,367,414 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Would an infant polar bear not instinctively attack a person?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

That's why a load of polar bears are fine with trainers, surely?

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

Many intelligent predatory animals have been trained and even integrated into human families.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: That Yellow Alien on Apr 08, 2015, 06:32:46 PMMany intelligent predatory animals have been trained and even integrated into human families.

Including polar bears and crocodiles? They're about the only one's that actively prey on humans for food.

Vertigo

Vertigo

I've certainly seen people keep pet alligators around the house, though I'm not sure if any genuine bonding had happened or if the gators were just plain well-fed and aware that the human didn't pose a threat.

But you can certainly rear pretty much any mammal and many birds to treat a human as a family member. The important thing is to hand-raise them from a VERY young age, minimise contact with their own species, and maintain the relationship every few days at least (ideally daily). You alternate between being a parent and sibling figure.

Things get trickier with social animals (like the raptors, or in the real world, lions and wolves) which need to maintain a group hierarchy and might see the human as a rival if he or she isn't incredibly careful.
There's also the constant problem that a large animal can main or kill you without intending or even trying. Rhino calves love to charge around the place indiscriminately, putting you in real danger once they're heavier than you are. Big cats smack each other around just to play or even as a display of affection. Wolves and hyenas are constantly biting each other as standard social behaviour. If an adult bear sits on you then you're in trouble. Some male animals become uncontrollably aggressive when they're horny. Then there's the issue that any animal can lash out unpredictably if it's sick, injured or pregnant.

So you can form a perfect bond with a large animal and still be in mortal danger every time you interact with it. That's why it's not commonly done - but it's definitely possible, at least in species with highly developed child rearing behaviour.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

All of that, not to mention that further studies are being done nowadays on reptilian cognition and intelligence -- and it's showing that reptiles (of all orders) are actually smarter than they have been commonly assumed to be in the past centuries, simply because they react differently to certain stimuli when compared to mammals.

Raptors, even the JP Raptors, are animals, not movie villains.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Yeah, my understanding is that reptile intelligence is affected by their body temperature (I suppose ours is too, though in our case it would be because we'd be dead). The vast majority of studies were performed at room temperature, which is well below their optimal level. It's just been recently that they've started routinely studying them under hot lamps, and as you say, discovering they're capable of a lot more than we realised.

That said, I don't know about emotional intelligence. In my admittedly limited experience, I've never seen firm evidence of it in reptiles, and very rarely in birds. Interesting to note though that the birds I've seen the best evidence of it in (hornbills and parrots) seem to have evolved it separately.

ace3g

ace3g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EY4qZO4vC4#ws

Well that was different than I expected.  I guess there will be more comedy, especially from Pratt's character.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Not quite sure that was the best choice for a first clip reveal.

ace3g

ace3g

Quote from: RidgeTop on Apr 09, 2015, 04:05:47 AM

Yeah wasn't too high on BDH's acting in that clip.

MudButt

MudButt

Well the raptor explanation worked for me. Glad there was some comedy involved in Pratt's character. Can't wait for the movie !

xeno-kaname

xeno-kaname

Quote from: ace3g on Apr 09, 2015, 04:09:53 AM
Quote from: RidgeTop on Apr 09, 2015, 04:05:47 AM

Yeah wasn't too high on BDH's acting in that clip.
Yeah but aside from that, I really enjoyed the banter. It wasn't something I expected from this movie or even the characters. But I think it fits well.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

So that bimbo is a "scientist" eh... and was that Cap'n Kirk or Starlord? or maybe a little-bit of both?

That scene was fairly horrible but I'm still hyped to see this movie.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: MudButt on Apr 09, 2015, 04:42:39 AM
Well the raptor explanation worked for me. Glad there was some comedy involved in Pratt's character. Can't wait for the movie !

Indeed. Works perfectly fine for me. Also - I don't think it'd be Pratt without some humour involved. Really looking forward to this.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed