Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,367,301 times)

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

There isnt a Portugal release date so far....

THERE ISNT A PORTUGAL RELEASE DATE SO FAR.

>:(

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Just got back, and my thoughts are...

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Apr 06, 2013, 08:28:16 AM
Jurassic Park 3D

I really can say that, without looking through rose-tinted Nostalgia Edition glasses (3D ones, actually), that this is just one of the best made movies in existence. Just... a goddamn masterpiece in just about every regard with memorable characters and performances and a level of science fiction-based metaphysical discussions that seem to deepen every time I watch it, along with my appreciation for the film... and don't even get me started on the visual effects-- flawless. This big screen watch wasn't just a mind-blowing nostalgia trip, but a watch that would further my appreciation for the film onto a whole new tier; and that's saying a lot considering it positively lead my childhood and fantasies, even forming me as a person as few films can manage.

I'm not even sure what else to say aside from the fact that the 3D post-conversion is a flawless and non-flashy presentation that adds a wonderful window-like level of depth to the movie. The scene where Grant, Ellie, and the rest first encounter the Brachiosaurus send shivers down my spine and chilled my forearms... the reactions from the actors really grabbed me this time; Grant's dizzied disbelief, Ellie's awe, and Hammond's pride were all played beautifully-- even the critical Malcolm can't help but smile and chuckle in bewildered amusement. That's how you sell seeing a creature of extraordinary grace and size that has been extinct for 65 million years. When the score reached that peak as Grant looked out over the valley after Hammond's famous "Welcome to Jurassic Park!", I was nearly in tears. And it didn't stop there, the T-rex Paddock attack scene had my breathless the entire time and smiling like an idiot by the end; I can't imagine I found the time to blink.

I wish I could go on and on about this, but I've gotta find a stopping point somewhere; we've all seen and love the movie. I plead everybody to see this while it lasts in theaters. I rarely use the word "treat" as a descriptive term for a film, but that's exactly what this experience was.

Alien³

Alien³

So much love for JP out there at the moment. ;D still can't believe we're getting a 4th as well. *drools*

UPDATE: My Jurassic Park laserdisc arrived this morning! This thing is huge with a cool DNA poster and two booklets about the film and dinosaurs. I'm still waiting on TLW laserdisc to arrive and I'll need to buy a "Discovision" player to watch them but boy is this a rare gem to add to my collection 8)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

f**king A! How much did that run you, if I may ask?

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Apr 06, 2013, 08:31:33 AM
Just got back, and my thoughts are...

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Apr 06, 2013, 08:28:16 AM
Jurassic Park 3D

I really can say that, without looking through rose-tinted Nostalgia Edition glasses (3D ones, actually), that this is just one of the best made movies in existence. Just... a goddamn masterpiece in just about every regard with memorable characters and performances and a level of science fiction-based metaphysical discussions that seem to deepen every time I watch it, along with my appreciation for the film... and don't even get me started on the visual effects-- flawless. This big screen watch wasn't just a mind-blowing nostalgia trip, but a watch that would further my appreciation for the film onto a whole new tier; and that's saying a lot considering it positively lead my childhood and fantasies, even forming me as a person as few films can manage.

I'm not even sure what else to say aside from the fact that the 3D post-conversion is a flawless and non-flashy presentation that adds a wonderful window-like level of depth to the movie. The scene where Grant, Ellie, and the rest first encounter the Brachiosaurus send shivers down my spine and chilled my forearms... the reactions from the actors really grabbed me this time; Grant's dizzied disbelief, Ellie's awe, and Hammond's pride were all played beautifully-- even the critical Malcolm can't help but smile and chuckle in bewildered amusement. That's how you sell seeing a creature of extraordinary grace and size that has been extinct for 65 million years. When the score reached that peak as Grant looked out over the valley after Hammond's famous "Welcome to Jurassic Park!", I was nearly in tears. And it didn't stop there, the T-rex Paddock attack scene had my breathless the entire time and smiling like an idiot by the end; I can't imagine I found the time to blink.

I wish I could go on and on about this, but I've gotta find a stopping point somewhere; we've all seen and love the movie. I plead everybody to see this while it lasts in theaters. I rarely use the word "treat" as a descriptive term for a film, but that's exactly what this experience was.

Glad you liked it. This first "big screen" and 3D experience really takes me back.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: DoomRulz on Apr 06, 2013, 05:42:29 PM
f**king A! How much did that run you, if I may ask?

£30 and TLW was £8!

Apparently what you see of the film on laserdisc is more than what was on VHS, DVD, ad Blu-ray. Lookie lookie...

And some laserdiscs are known for having rare cuts of the movie, like E.T for example has a cameo of Harrison Ford. I don't think JP has anything different though.

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

I suspect the LaserDisc was opened up slightly to a 1.78:1 aspect ratio, while the Blu-ray retains its orginally intended cinematic 1.85:1 dimensions.

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Alien³ on Apr 06, 2013, 09:16:01 AM
So much love for JP out there at the moment. ;D still can't believe we're getting a 4th as well. *drools*

UPDATE: My Jurassic Park laserdisc arrived this morning! This thing is huge with a cool DNA poster and two booklets about the film and dinosaurs. I'm still waiting on TLW laserdisc to arrive and I'll need to buy a "Discovision" player to watch them but boy is this a rare gem to add to my collection 8)

That's pretty cool as a collectible, but you'd be better off buying the film on blu-ray instead of a laser-disc player and watch that version instead... unless you have a laser-disc collection, of course. 1080p >>> 480i/p ;)

Nostalgia is a bitch.

Alien³

Alien³

I have it on Blu-ray as well. ;)

predxeno

predxeno

I just saw this today and WOW, it was like watching the film for the first time again; the digital and sound restoration were amazing, I wish they put this kinda effort into the Blu-Ray. :'(  A first-time viewer was also in my theatre so I was able to laugh to myself as that person jumped at every scare in this beloved classic.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Saw this today. What can I say about the actual movie that hasn't been said? We all know the film itself is amazing, with effects that (mostly) still hold up, especially the raptors. The characters are all rather memorable in their own ways, and the set pieces are all excellent. The dialogue is great, and the T. rex is f**king scary on the big screen. The 3D conversion is actually pretty good, giving some nice depth of field to the shots. Only real complaint is that Hammond popped out of the screen more than the dinos, lol.

Requiem28

Requiem28

Quote from: KiramidHead on Apr 06, 2013, 11:25:02 PMOnly real complaint is that Hammond popped out of the screen more than the dinos, lol.

Yeah....

Spoiler
Kinda wish the raptor that pops out from behind Ellie in the maintence shed came a little bit closer to the audience.
[close]

Cvalda

Cvalda

Saw it in 2D today, my second time seeing it in a cinema in as many years. Looked a little DNR-y compared to the 2011 digital cinema version :-\

Things I learned from Jurassic Park:

-- When executing a fragrantly illegal, high-risk corporate heist, don't bother to cover your tracks. In fact, make it as blatantly obvious as possible and leave a clearly marked trail of evidence linking you to the crime: a taunting hacker screen, a complete shut down of the island. Hell, when stealing the priceless dinosaur embryos, don't bother to replace them with dummy capsules -- you want them to obviously have been stolen. After all, your ultimate goal is to get sent to prison and have an investigation launched against your new corporate benefactor as soon as possible.

-- A Tyrannosaurus has just broken through a fence and is hunting right next to the car you are otherwise safely protected in. The obvious thing to do is to dig through the car for no reason, find a high-powered flashlight, turn it on, and then wave it around crazily to attract the dinosaur. When it comes over to investigate, shine the light directly into its eyeball. Then, when you can't turn it off (but could turn it on?), don't just put it under the seat or something, make sure you wave it around some more so that a tense attack sequence can occur.

-- T-Rex's visual sense is based on movement. Don't ask questions, Dr. Grant said it so obviously it's true. Not only that, though, but their sense of smell is also probably based on movement, too, because they can get so close to you that their breath can knock your hat off without them detecting your presence.

-- But don't think that T-Rex is completely lame just yet -- he can fly. Or at least levitate, considering his pen is actually a deep, abyssal drop as far as the eye can see in both directions. Raptors can also levitate -- one proudly shoves its head up through a ten foot ceiling grate as our characters kick away at it, but has to take a flying leap after its fallen just to miss a leg dangling above it.

-- After you have plummeted down that drop where the T-Rex magically tore his way through, do not stay put -- that would be the sane, rational thing to do. After all, Laura Dern and that hunter guy are on their way to rescue you. No, go for a midnight stroll through the dinosaur infested woods and put yourself both in harms way and out of reach of rescue.

-- If you are a thirteen year old girl who is also a hacker, conveniently state this fact in the most awkwardly transparent way possible to telegraph to the audience that your skills will come in handy later.

-- When engineering dinosaurs so that they are all females and don't breed, do not bother to look into the very specific species of sex changing amphibian you use to fill the gene sequence gaps.

-- When outfitting the security for your dinosaur-surrounded compound on an island prone to hurricanes and power outages, make sure all your door locks are electric, and under no condition should you allow for manual locking. That would be practical.

-- When a velociraptor is trying to get through the door to eat you, and your thirteen year old hacker sister is navigating a ludicrous computer interface that controls the whole park with relative speed and ease, you should just dance around with your hands on your head. Laura Dern is over in the corner trying to reach a gun -- DO NOT HELP HER. She won't think to ask anyway.

But then again, as Laura Dern herself says in the film, "You can't think through this one. You have to feel it." Yes, this is a typical David Koepp Idiot Plot, but it's directed with so much muscular craftsmanship and is filled with such wonderful performances, all capped with a magisterial John Williams score, that you don't really care. The visual effects, barring the CGI brachiosaur scenes, have aged beautifully, and Stan Winston's animatronics are so real you don't even bother to roll your eyes over the shocking paleontological research failures. The best scene in the film is still one of its most simple: the group comes across a sick triceratops lying in a field, and Sam Neill rests his head on her heaving flank in absolute wonder.

8/10

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: Requiem28 on Apr 07, 2013, 01:46:53 AM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Apr 06, 2013, 11:25:02 PMOnly real complaint is that Hammond popped out of the screen more than the dinos, lol.

Yeah....

Spoiler
Kinda wish the raptor that pops out from behind Ellie in the maintence shed came a little bit closer to the audience.
[close]

Spoiler
The first-time viewer in my audience jumped out of her seat to her boyfriend's when that happened. ;D :laugh:
[close]

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

What I learned from Jurassic Park:

-If you're building a potentially dangerous theme park/zoo, never, ever hire Newman as one of your main computer guys.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed