Started by Ratchetcomand, Nov 15, 2007, 01:14:30 AM

Author
Currently Playing (Read 989,906 times)

coolbreeze

coolbreeze

Quote from: nostalgicalgorithms on Aug 22, 2013, 12:42:26 AM
Quote from: coolbreeze on Aug 21, 2013, 05:38:37 PM
Quote from: nostalgicalgorithms on Aug 21, 2013, 05:36:27 PM
I would not call Battlefields weapon ballistics realistic. While the weapons certainty do the type of damage we expect, both physics and weapon ballistics hardly behave in real life like they do in Battlefield 3. It's a decent attempt at mimicking the fast paced and violent nature of ground combat but nothing more.

I'm always confused when people talk about Battlefield being a simulation. If you want a different kind of challenge load up a classic like Operation Flashpoint. It's not perfect but it does a fair job at teaching real life military tactics.

Are you current/former military?

I have never served in the military but I do have hands on experience with military simulators.

Riiight...

nostalgicalgorithms

nostalgicalgorithms

BF3 has gravity so its got to be a simulator right? Derpy derp. While obtaining my degree in game design our class went on a few trips to a branch of Raytheon. Really neat stuff. Obvious troll must be lying riiiight? Grow up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otronicon
It's fun event with lot's to do for younger children. Great if you have a younger brother or sister. The star Wars exhibit they had this year was awesome.

coolbreeze

coolbreeze

You should ask Raging Dragon where his experience comes from. It won't be from some simulator.

nostalgicalgorithms

nostalgicalgorithms

My argument never was BF3 doesn't feel/look real. Compared to actual simulators where "realism" is the goal (not graphics) it doesn't get much right. I've used a variety of different systems, the most recent one I  tried you actually had to hold a real M4. A mouse a keyboard will never do the job accurately. Again the goal of BF3 was not the be a simulator but a "pew pew" shooter that is fun to play with friends.

I'm sure BF3 gives ex-military guys boners. I mean whats not to like? Just don't call it a simulator.

coolbreeze

coolbreeze

Nobody said BF3 is a simulator.

You keep going on about realism when your own experience comes from sims. Hardly the real thing..

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Wow. I guess I've never really flirted with the word 'simulator' while talking about a modern shooter before, because that word implies a lot of possible shit, but there are games that can attempt to be 'simulations' or recreations of something as real as you can possibly observe them to be, albeit in a digital format with digital input/interaction keys. But f**k, let's not get off on an Oculus Rift or otherwise VR tangent.

I'm just comparing Battlefield to about every other shooter almost everyone else plays, and the vast majority of f**kers that play the BF series, on all platforms. The game speaks for itself, and in the console world, it's one of the only options for an anywhere-near-realistic shooter that you actually have to play fairly slow and involves a lot more factors than 'run and shoot the dude, repeat.'

Sure, the Rainbow Six games still hold the standard for 'realism' in gun handling, physics, aim, penetration, etc... but that's Tom bloody Clancy. They've always been that way. I guarantee you boot up the original Rainbow Six for some of today's kids, and they'd f**king be uninstalling within three minutes of the first mission.

There are many factors to consider when discussing what an FPS game is and how good it does whatever that is that it is.

That sentence...

WinterActual

WinterActual

Quote from: Cal427eb on Aug 21, 2013, 10:44:10 PM
wut

Are you seeing this guy (for example) to suffer from the suppression effects like the ones represented in BF or RO? Because I don't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLHU-_OhT8g#

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Weird. Right when the bullets start getting really close he's rendered incapable of doing almost anything... Almost like he's being suppressed in BF3!  :o

Maybe if he hadn't ignored the fact that he was being shot at he wouldn't have been hit or pinned down(aka suppression  ;)).

So, to answer your question. Yes. Maybe not the EXACT same but he was definitely feeling the effects of suppression.

WinterActual

WinterActual

Thats why I said that all suppression systems needs an adjustment.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Talking about war simulations, did anyone else ever play America's Army? It was used as a recruiting tool but it was actually a pretty solid game as well.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

America's Army was pretty solid, still has some players if I'm not mistaken?

I think the suppression effects are fine, but if you're arguing that they should maybe be toned down, that seems valid seeing as how DICE has already reduced some of the effect in a patch, haven't they? It's a great feature to have in a game, but obviously has to do the job of communicating whats happening to your digital character with the player unable to feel/experience certain things.

Plus, that guy was also just taking a few scattered rounds from most likely across the valley. It wasn't sustained f**king fire that was within 500 meters and chipping away at his cover. That shit's a bit different.

I like that they have squad skills that allow for better use of cover or give a higher suppression value. My Snipers all have the better cover feature lol; it limits the blurriness, etc...

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Battlefield 3

I have probably just took part in thee longest battle in my history.

The level was Conquest on Kharg Island with maximum tickets. It felt like hours.

We ere getting our butts kicked, losing 200 against 800. But then I was all like...

We then began to fight back harder and harder until we began to turn the tide by taking firm control of all the flags and killing them more than they can kill us.

Then near the end, both teams are still balanced and our reinforcement tickets are almost about to break even. We had made a huge f**king comeback.

Near the end I reduced their reinforcement tickets to 18 by shooting a jet out of the sky with a stolen Russian tank.

Our tickets finally break even at 5 vs. 5. My team is victorious after such a huge comeback!

I personally was the top player with 62 kills, 41 deaths, and 21667 score and was decorated with the Conquest Medal. I also got my M4A1 kills to nearly 700 total now.

I love this game, it's so much fun when you feel like your doin' it right.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Aug 22, 2013, 05:58:06 PM
Battlefield 3

I have probably just took part in thee longest battle in my history.

The level was Conquest on Kharg Island with maximum tickets. It felt like hours.

We ere getting our butts kicked, losing 200 against 800. But then I was all like...

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s602/Iron_Shield/GIFS/tumblr_mg2j1iH4Eb1s205keo1_500_zps9fc7f40f.gif

We then began to fight back harder and harder until we began to turn the tide by taking firm control of all the flags and killing them more than they can kill us.

Then near the end, both teams are still balanced and our reinforcement tickets are almost about to break even. We had made a huge f**king comeback.

Near the end I reduced their reinforcement tickets to 18 by shooting a jet out of the sky with a stolen Russian tank.

Our tickets finally break even at 5 vs. 5. My team is victorious after such a huge comeback!

I personally was the top player with 62 kills, 41 deaths, and 21667 score and was decorated with the Conquest Medal. I also got my M4A1 kills to nearly 700 total now.

I love this game, it's so much fun when you feel like your doin' it right.
I love those kind of games.

WinterActual

WinterActual

I hated servers with 1000 tickets. It takes hours to finish.. And the worst part of it its that everything turns to shit way sooner than you think and there's no cover, no nothing left intact on the map  :laugh:

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut

Episode 3 has been very, very good so far. The parts set in Harry's mansion are pretty damn cool, and the Red World segments are as creepy as ever. f**k that jump scare in the police station. :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed