Why Alien: Romulus pits the Xenomorph against a younger crew

Started by Nightmare Asylum, May 03, 2024, 05:18:28 PM

Author
Why Alien: Romulus pits the Xenomorph against a younger crew (Read 15,351 times)

PAS Spinelli

A bit unrelated but I always liked the thought that the reason why the alien can wall crawl is due to magnetism or electrostatic (kinda like Spider-man), which could lead to interesting plots involving one being left in the vacuum of space

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: 426Buddy on May 12, 2024, 02:28:35 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on May 12, 2024, 01:24:38 PMExcuse me?

Yes please, do move on.

Good manners costs nothing.
Spoiler
on ignore now
[close]

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on May 12, 2024, 05:34:18 PMA bit unrelated but I always liked the thought that the reason why the alien can wall crawl is due to magnetism or electrostatic (kinda like Spider-man), which could lead to interesting plots involving one being left in the vacuum of space

The wall crawling thing only became more apparent in Alien 3, in Aliens they are either jumping from wall to wall or are holding onto pipes and other grabbable structures.

Due to their weight they would have to have something significant to be able to stick to what seems to the human eye, a flat surface.

PAS Spinelli

The Alien already crawled around walls in the first movie(offscreen), and was supposed to be jumping and crawling from every angle while in the vents

The Cruentus

It was using the vents and dangling from chains in the first film.

PAS Spinelli

limitations of the time and it dangling from chains was cut for a reason

The Cruentus

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 12, 2024, 06:35:10 PMIt was using the vents and dangling from chains in the first film.

It was also in the storyboards for it to be leaping from wall to ceiling etc in the scripted airlock scene... but limitations of the time prevented it... we saw what that would look like in the Covenant trailer (as the alien does so in a red-lit corridor as the crew seal doors behind it)...only for them to cut it from the final film again 😅

The Cruentus

That is fine, I was responding to the comment about how the Alien wallcrawls. It is agile for sure and jumping from wall to wall is not an issue.

I don't know why they cut that out though, it was a decent shot.

GrimmVision

GrimmVision

:laugh:

I've really always loved that the physics surrounding the Alien seemingly make little to no sense or just flat out break. The entirety of Brett's death with the Alien's placement and how it drops and takes him back up into the vent, the Alien grabbing Dietrich and almost "levitating" up to nowhere, the red-lit vent scenes where the Aliens barely touch the walls as they move, spinning and twisting around wildly, and the Runner crawling the smooth walls and ceiling in the chase sequence of AlienĀ³.

Lastly, the closeup shot of the Egg as Kane inspects it shows the dark liquid (pathogen? 8)) on its surface literally running and dripping upward.*Queue the heebie jeebies*

The Cruentus

Running backwards if you look carefully.

Feeds On Minds

Quote from: 426Buddy on May 12, 2024, 12:18:37 PMYou're the one looking for realism here. If you want  accurate space logistics here then both are impossible. I'm saying regardless of the shuttles color, its beacon, or whatever else, its completely un-realistic that she was found, in 57 years, a 1000, or forever.

I'm not arguing that one is more realistic than the other. I'm saying both are not realistic at all and I'm okay with that if the film is good.

It's less about wanting realism, and more about wanting good writing; not 1st draft spitball ideas that should've been laughed out of the writer's room.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Feeds On Minds on May 12, 2024, 07:52:37 PMIt's less about wanting realism, and more about wanting good writing; not 1st draft spitball ideas that should've been laughed out of the writer's room.

Exactly, first
Spoiler
Ash, then Big Chap, I'm wondering if the memberberries have been at work lol
[close]

An Alien movie doesn't need contrived coincidences, It could just be a salvage crew goes to a wreckage of a ship/station/facility/mine/cave etc and comes across what killed the previous staff/inhabitaants and maybe encounter a few struggling survivors. Its a simple plot but sometimes simple is good.

426Buddy

...but you think it's bad writing because it's what? Far fetched, contrived, and unrealistic right? Nevermind, going to take another stab at thay moving on thing.

SiL

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 12, 2024, 06:35:10 PMIt was using the vents and dangling from chains in the first film.
When it lowers behind Brett its feet are sticking to the landing gear while the tail lowers, then it's supporting itself on its tail. But at first its feet are just ... glued there, or something.

So Aliens sticking to surfaces has been there from the beginning, is just obviously not very clear the way the final film is edited.

And it does pretty much float into the sky with Brett, unlike Dietrich where e we actually see the Alien climbing the wall.

The Cruentus

Yep but I wasn't saying otherwise, just merely that wallcrawling became more apparent by Alien 3 where it was outright running on a flat ceiling.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed