Why Alien: Romulus pits the Xenomorph against a younger crew

Started by Nightmare Asylum, May 03, 2024, 05:18:28 PM

Author
Why Alien: Romulus pits the Xenomorph against a younger crew (Read 15,244 times)

426Buddy

426Buddy

You're the one looking for realism here. If you want  accurate space logistics here then both are impossible. I'm saying regardless of the shuttles color, its beacon, or whatever else, its completely un-realistic that she was found, in 57 years, a 1000, or forever.

I'm not arguing that one is more realistic than the other. I'm saying both are not realistic at all and I'm okay with that if the film is good.

The Cruentus

Ripley's situation is unlikely (never said it wasn't) but it still more likely than BC being found because one has a few factors to make it more plausible, a detectable shuttle that should have a beacon or a SOS to be picked up, while a floating black burnt mass that is floating in a void does not.

Alien is SCI-fi, not fantasy. It has to have a level of believability.  The amount of coincidences that we are expected to accept is absurd.

If you like or at least don't mind it then that is fine, but don't expect others to swallow it as easy as you do.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 12, 2024, 12:24:18 PMRipley's situation is unlikely (never said it wasn't) but it still more likely than BC being found because one has a few factors to make it more plausible, a detectable shuttle that should have a beacon or a SOS to be picked up, while a floating black burnt mass that is floating in a void does not.

Alien is SCI-fi, not fantasy. It has to have a level of believability.  The amount of coincidences that we are expected to accept is absurd.

If you like or at least don't mind it then that is fine, but don't expect others to swallow it as easy as you do.

You will swallow anything if you enjoy the film and you already have many times in this series alone.

Magical gravity and ftl is okay cuz its the future! But this is bad magic that cant be solved by future lol.

The Cruentus

No, I have repeatedly picked out things that stand out in films I like.

The gravity and ftl has never been explained which means they have never given any mechanics that could be contradicted. While we may never achieve ftl etc at least there isn't an in film explanation we can say is incorrect. its left ambiguous even if its unlikely, same with the cryotubes.

These are things I have actually picked out before btw.

So what is exactly so funny?

426Buddy

426Buddy

So by that logic if this is never explained then that means they have never given any mechanics that could be contradicted so we are good to go? Just dont explain how thr magic works and no worries then?

Whats funny is the ability to except the absurd and fantastical in one instance and not in another.

The Cruentus

Quote from: 426Buddy on May 12, 2024, 12:44:48 PMSo by that logic if this is never explained that means they have never given any mechanics that could be contradicted so we are good?
Whats funny it the ability to except the absurd and fantastical in one instance and not in another.

No, because how tech works vs chance of finding something in the vast space is not the same. Different subject.

Accept? no, suspend disbelief, yes. Some is easier than others of course.
I can suspend my disbelief about Alien's tech because its not shown how it works, its left ambiguous with little for us to point what is wrong bar a few things. Alien for the most part is a down to earth film complete with truckers. It doesn't hit us with extremely absurd coincidences.

If we know the mechanics of something and what would work and what would not work, it would be harder to suspend disbelief if we actively know those mechanics would not work.

When it comes to something being explelled at presumably ftl speed and going in a completely different direction from what shuttle probably started from means that even if they being followed, they would not find the alien.

426Buddy

What if they have the technology to find it but we just dont know the mechanics of that technology and they leave it ambiguous?

Its the same thing but I can see this back and forth is DOA so lets just move on.

The Cruentus

Because it is still an absurd coincidence we are expected to swallow.

No they didn't find another alien that could have been an another planet/moon that a derelict-like ship had touched down on (as the jockies use them as bioweapons and thus there is precedant for them being on other planets)

No. they didn't come across it on a seemingly abandoned facility/space station/ship with the origins left ambiguous.

No, we have to find the exact same alien that was killed in the first movie, was floating in space and could have been anyway, and somehow resurrect it or use it to create yet another alien.

And yes, while those are coincidences, they not absurd or unlikey as finding the first alien.

So yeah it is stupid but agreed, move on.

426Buddy

Yes please do

The Cruentus

Acid_Reign161

according to 'Out of the Shadows', Ash had uploaded his program to the shuttle prior to malfunctioning / being neutralised. If Ash is now essentially the ships computer, one would assume he could calculate speed and trajectory at which an external object is moving away, and transmit that data over the network for whoever is listening to be intercepted. 😉

Spoiler
[close]

426Buddy

426Buddy

BigDaddyJohn

I agree that if the film's good, I can tolerate a lot.

TheBATMAN

Spoiler
It's almost worth the contrivance just to see the original beast again. I'd love to see what a modern recreation would look like on film.
[close]

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on May 12, 2024, 09:04:42 AM
Spoiler
I feel like this is going to be a similar situation to those YouTube videos of that guy who dresses in different cultural clothing (kimonos, sombreros, etc) and goes around universities for reaction, and everyone not of that particular race are all deeply offended and telling him it's cultural appropriation and he can't wear that, and then he goes specifically to people of that particular race/culture, and they all think it's amazing and love it. People love being "offended on behalf of others" these days.. 😅
[close]

Spoiler
Minus the dressing up and college thing, that's quite a good description of Mr. H! 😜
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed