Would enhancing the VFX in Alien 3 help it?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Jun 22, 2019, 09:53:27 PM

Author
Would enhancing the VFX in Alien 3 help it? (Read 13,282 times)

SM

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Jun 24, 2019, 01:51:34 AM
A really old and invalid criticism that doesn't look past the surface, at least in my opinion.
Especially since I've seen people watch the "Assembly Cut" and have their mind changed about this aspect, or really at most it's an indicator that people found the extra time spent worthwhile for investment in the film's narrative.

Being really old doesn't make it invalid.  Nor does your opinion of a criticism make it invalid.

They couldn't even keep track of the prisoners while they were making the film.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

And the Director hated the film, ergo it's bad, yes, wonderful conclusion. It couldn't be that he hated the experience of working on it and it coloured his view of the film.

Or that similarly the film worked out in the end regardless, faceless prisoners as an asset included as I said already.

SM

QuoteAnd David Fincher hated the film, ergo it's bad, yes, wonderful conclusion.

What has that got to do with anything?

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Essentially what people experienced behind the curtain doesn't necessarily always mean it equates to the film itself. I wasn't necessarily agreeing or disagreeing either though.
But again, as I said- I felt that was kinda the point a portion of them are meant to be faceless.

SiL

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 23, 2019, 04:28:13 PM
Quote from: SiL on Jun 23, 2019, 12:05:57 PM
Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Jun 23, 2019, 11:04:08 AM
I enjoy my "bald poms" and can tell them apart, but you keep spinning that yarn SM.
You're in a minority there.

Not anymore.
I mean if you found every single person who's seen the film and asked, yeah, the people who can tell them apart are a minority.

Even if you go by fans of the series to narrow it down, the people who can tell them apart are outnumbered.

I don't understand how that's possibly a contentious position.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 23, 2019, 07:30:14 PM
Hair would help, but it would kinda negate the whole lice thing that made Ripley shave her head.  This is probably an example of where more racial diversity would have helped a great deal.

I've not read the "shooting" scripts all the way through so I don't know if it came from them or not, but I loved how Dillion had a single dreadlock in defiance to all that in ADF's novel.

In regards to the actual topic, as much as I genuinely love Alien 3, it is a train-wreck and the VFX is just one of those issues. I'd f**king love to see another issue of the film with the FX cleaned up. I'd rather they re-composite the puppet footage so it's more "authentic" but I'd happily see a re-use using CGI. It wouldn't make the film massively better but it'd be such a nice curiosity.

I doubt it'd happen. Too much money, not enough return, I think.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Unfortunately.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 24, 2019, 07:59:28 AM
I'd rather they re-composite the puppet footage so it's more "authentic" but I'd happily see a re-use using CGI.

Agreed.

I really want to know if the recently screened transfer is genuinely a improvement myself, and the 4K is likely on the horizon after all.

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Jun 24, 2019, 02:30:42 AM
Being really old doesn't make it invalid. 

Somewhere out there, a urologist said that today.

The Old One

The Old One

;D

Jenga

Rather than CGI-ing the Alien from 3 I wish they would just re-scan all the effects shot with the rod puppet and re-composite it using modern compositing and create new shadows for it. THAT would be the best of both worlds.

The Old One

The Old One

A sentiment I, AP and most other people agree upon I believe.

SM

Quote from: Jenga on Jun 24, 2019, 06:44:25 PM
Rather than CGI-ing the Alien from 3 I wish they would just re-scan all the effects shot with the rod puppet and re-composite it using modern compositing and create new shadows for it. THAT would be the best of both worlds.

And probably much more expensive than using modern CGI.

The Old One

SiL

Quote from: SM on Jun 24, 2019, 08:21:52 PM
Quote from: Jenga on Jun 24, 2019, 06:44:25 PM

And probably much more expensive than using modern CGI.
Not necessarily. If the plates are still there and good quality, compositing and shadows would be a lot cheaper than modelling, texturing, rigging, lighting, match-up moving and compositing a bespoke CGI character.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed