Would enhancing the VFX in Alien 3 help it?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Jun 22, 2019, 09:53:27 PM

Author
Would enhancing the VFX in Alien 3 help it? (Read 13,280 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Dead on then.

SM

QuoteIf the plates are still there and good quality

That's why I'm thinking it'd be more expensive as I'm not sure they would be good quality after 27 years for a movie that wasn't terribly successful.

The Old One

The Old One

Perhaps CdL is knowledgeable about such a subject.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Some people I've heard coming back from recent theatrical screenings related that the puppet looks far better than on home media releases, where apparently there were more than a few issues of colour loss, resulting in a more obvious 'green' look over the puppet. Makes me think that perhaps, for most shots, a simple colour correction could suffice to make the puppet more properly blended within the environments.

For some other shots (see: the Alien escaping the trap, the Alien running towards the shutting door) the problem is entirely compositing wise i.e. how it interacts with the environment

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Jun 25, 2019, 01:54:32 AM
QuoteIf the plates are still there and good quality

That's why I'm thinking it'd be more expensive as I'm not sure they would be good quality after 27 years for a movie that wasn't terribly successful.

How did they do it for the CG oxburster scenes in the AC?

SiL

That's why I think the plates might not be in completely terrible shape.

Corporal Hicks

They never shot the Ox burster in mo-motion, did they? Wasn't that just the whippet?

SiL

Right, but the empty shot of the abattoir was still good to use.

SM

There was reference footage of the Bambi burster being puppeteered.

I don't know if background plates are kept in good condition though , or just the completed VFX shot?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Depends on the movie. Background plates are sometimes kept in archives. No idea if that's the case for A3

The Old One

The Old One

Perfect Organism Podcast interviewed CdL once for Alien and once for Blade Runner, maybe ask them.

SiL

Quote from: Omegamorph on Jul 01, 2019, 11:40:39 AM
Depends on the movie. Background plates are sometimes kept in archives. No idea if that's the case for A3
I mean at least one clearly was.

I think more the question is whether the effect plates were with the puppet.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SiL on Jul 01, 2019, 10:53:50 AM
Right, but the empty shot of the abattoir was still good to use.

I suspected it was just done over footage of the whippet itself.

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 01, 2019, 01:32:35 PM
Perfect Organism Podcast interviewed CdL once for Alien and once for Blade Runner, maybe ask them.

As have we. I'll drop him an e-mail, see if we can get him to do something specifically on the Assembly Cut.

So yeah, that's going to happen. No date set yet.

Kradan

I have never been bothered with SFX in Alien 3 until it was pointed to me. I honestly thought that all SFX looks like this in 90's.  :)

The Old One

The Old One

The composition is particularly ineffectual.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed