Two paths of Alien movies

Started by Kradan, Feb 21, 2019, 02:56:16 PM

What do you prefer to be in Alien movies?

Developed characters
4 (17.4%)
Fascinating mythology
2 (8.7%)
Perfect blend of both
17 (73.9%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author
Two paths of Alien movies (Read 2,369 times)

Kradan

Kradan

I think that Alien is perfect blend of interesting characters about whose fate you care about and interesting mythology that can make you mind go crazy. But it seems that at least two following movies chose to dig more into character's development and abandone mythology for some degree. And now with prequels we have two opposite ones: Prometheus and Covenant pushed mythology further (even if not everybody agreed with new ideas) but their human characters were kinda "meh".

I curious to know what do you think is more important for good Alien movie - character's development or great mythology? Or they both equaly important for you? Poll is above.

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

While developed characters are probably more important it's good to have some gooood mythology.

Adam802

Adam802

The prequels showed how giving an unnecessary mythology/backstory/origin can ruin it.  The only 'mythology' I like/want is the mystery of the Space Jockey/Derelict.  A mystery that should have never been answered bc not knowing was what made it scary and interesting. 

windebieste

windebieste

Quote from: Adam802 on Feb 24, 2019, 06:56:11 AMA mystery that should have never been answered bc not knowing was what made it scary and interesting. 

*Massive eye rolling sigh*  Exactly the same thing can be said about the Queen.

-Windebieste.

Kradan

Kradan

Personally i can live with sacrificing good character's development for fascinating mystery. I mean Covenant. And don't say me that it's clear that David created xenomorph. No, it's not clear at all.  :)

Nightmare Asylum

It's not clear if you want to ignore the entire thematic and narrative implications of the script, I guess.

David 100% made the Alien as we know it. Now, the Pathogen that he used as the core base substance absolutely comes from unknown origin (and the Pathogen has been known to create Alien-like beings in the past without David's meddling; the mural and the Deacon/Neomorph, the acid blood in the Hammerpede, the gestation method of the Trilobite, etc. are all testaments to that) so there is definitely still an air of mystery as to where the raw materials that David worked with came from. But the capital-A-Alien? All David's, due to his refining of the Pathogen and his experiments in combining it with other ideas and substances that are very much in line with his, ehm, interests.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 24, 2019, 03:04:00 PM
It's not clear if you want to ignore the entire thematic and narrative implications of the script, I guess.

David 100% made the Alien as we know it. Now, the Pathogen that he used as the core base substance absolutely comes from unknown origin (and the Pathogen has been known to create Alien-like beings in the past without David's meddling; the mural and the Deacon/Neomorph, the acid blood in the Hammerpede, the gestation method of the Trilobite, etc. are all testaments to that) so there is definitely still an air of mystery as to where the raw materials that David worked with came from. But the capital-A-Alien? All David's, due to his refining of the Pathogen and his experiments in combining it with other ideas and substances that are very much in line with his, ehm, interests.

I wrote it somewhere else but i'd love to see battle between David's fleshy xenos and Engineer's biomechanical ones. I mean, till his face-to-face with Engineers David will be sure that he actually created Alien but then he will realise that it was already created. So he kinda fooled himself. I want to see that universal upset on his face and him just doing suicide without seeing any sense of further living.

And i've written it all just to show that there still room for saying "No, he's not a creator. He's just mad android uncapable to do anything but kiling living creatures"

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Adam802 on Feb 24, 2019, 06:56:11 AM
The prequels showed how giving an unnecessary mythology/backstory/origin can ruin it.  The only 'mythology' I like/want is the mystery of the Space Jockey/Derelict.  A mystery that should have never been answered bc not knowing was what made it scary and interesting.

I will always agree there is a point of going to far with Alien and Predator, more so Alien. Show a little, hint a little, but these films work best with a sense of mystery.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 24, 2019, 03:23:16 PM
Quote from: Adam802 on Feb 24, 2019, 06:56:11 AM

I will always agree there is a point of going to far with Alien and Predator, more so Alien. Show a little, hint a little, but these films work best with a sense of mystery.

Covenant explains many things. But it also gives a lot of mystery itself. I mean, how Shaw died, did David created xeno or use some kind of recipe or not, are we going to see Engineers ever again, are they actual Space Jockeys or they stole Jockey's tech, did Engineers create xeno, what will happen with Covenant colonists and etc. And as soon as you capable to accept prequels you can have much fun with making all these explanations and theories in your head.

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

I would actually prefer to have David as the creator of the alien than it beeing the work of the jockys.
It is far more interesting this way than it beeing created as a weapon by, what is essentially, just bald space humans.
If they give the creature a different origin than David, i hope it will be something entirly different or just be kept a mystery.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

This might be controversial, but I hope the Ridley prequels are retconned out one day.

Be gentle..

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: The Kurgan on Feb 24, 2019, 03:38:55 PM
I would actually prefer to have David as the creator of the alien than it beeing the work of the jockys.
It is far more interesting this way than it beeing created as a weapon by, what is essentially, just bald space humans.
If they give the creature a different origin than David, i hope it will be something entirly different or just be kept a mystery.

I personally try to combine concepts of David as creator and Engineers as creators. And only what i can come up with it is idea of David thinking of himself as creator (he actually makes effort to create things but not uses some kind of instruction) while xenomorphs were already created by Engineers many many years ago. Something like convergent evolution, i think.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 24, 2019, 03:46:41 PM
This might be controversial, but I hope the Ridley prequels are retconned out one day

NEVER! Never ever never! How dare you?! Bend your f**king kneels in front of face of mighty Space God Ridley Scott!  ;D

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Pathogen is still ancient/unknown. David made the banana heads. Pretty solid "reconciling" if you ask me.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 24, 2019, 03:48:56 PM
This might be controversial, but I hope the Ridley prequels are retconned out one day

NEVER! Never ever never! How dare you?! Bend your f**king kneels in front of face of mighty Space God Ridley Scott!  ;D

"Mighty Space God Ridley Scott:laugh:

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 24, 2019, 04:09:58 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Feb 24, 2019, 03:48:56 PM

"Mighty Space God Ridley Scott:laugh:

It still isn't too late to take your words back. Otherwise you will be punished with David bombing your home with tons of black goo.  :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed