The Warhammer 40k Thread

Started by The Kurgan, Dec 09, 2018, 02:19:07 PM

Author
The Warhammer 40k Thread (Read 68,644 times)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I was actually talking about this on Thursday with one of my friends who manages a local GW store near my work, his explanation was that there's a lot of duty fees and taxes they have to factor into the prices of the models when shipping to Australia, so it's less GW's fault for not understanding how currency conversions work or just sticking it to you guys "just cuz", and more of your country's government slapping fines on imported goods and GW having to jack up the prices to compensate.

Yeah you can say that he's just trying to defend the company he works for, but he also doesn't hesitate to pretty publicly criticize GW's other wacky practices when I talk with him so I'm inclined to think there's some merit to what he's saying.
He also gets away with criticizing GW because his store is consistently the #1 performing store in North America. :P

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

The #1 performing GW store in North America must have more money than a bank vault.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jun 07, 2020, 08:58:22 AM
I was actually talking about this on Thursday with one of my friends who manages a local GW store near my work, his explanation was that there's a lot of duty fees and taxes they have to factor into the prices of the models when shipping to Australia, so it's less GW's fault for not understanding how currency conversions work or just sticking it to you guys "just cuz", and more of your country's government slapping fines on imported goods and GW having to jack up the prices to compensate.

1) I'm in NZ, not 'Straya.

2)While there is some truth in that argument, it's pretty disingenuous. Let's compare:

Primaris Captain (UK country of origin, so baseline price)

The ratio of about 2NZD to 1GBP has been largely consistent for 20 or so years, so this is a very average conversion rate:

Great Unclean One

But the tariffs! The Taxes! I can hear you saying. Let's compare to other, similar products (IE; plastic fantasy/sci-fi miniatures). I'll be staying with the baseline price being country-of-origin, and using the same local webstore for all comparisons. This store also explicitly mentions when it's discounting something, as seen in the spoilered pic below.

Spoiler
[close]

FFG Storm Troopers

Apparently Fantasy Flight Games doesn't have to pay the tax that nearly doubles the price of the goods. Odd. But they're American. Let's look at another British company, I believe also based out of Nottingham, just like GW:

Warlord Orc Warband

Hmmmm.

The truth of the matter is that GW set their "price bands" in AU/NZ in the late 90's when things were quite different, but has kept us up to speed with their global price increases (which were every year at one point). There's nothing involved other than the idea of a captive market, especially since they did their best to stop independent stores selling internationally - largely successfully.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Can see it fine. Mostly screengrabs of currency conversion rates as well as price comparisons for figurines.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Nevermind, it was Privacy Badger blocking them.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

This is 40k-adjacent, but I'm experimenting with painting up some Age of Sigmar Nighthaunt spooooooooky ghosts with glow in the dark paint.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

I kind of wish I thought of that...I did all mine with the Oxide technical over white

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Jun 11, 2020, 12:32:53 PM
I kind of wish I thought of that...I did all mine with the Oxide technical over white
Well that's the thing, the glow in the dark paint dries clear so I can paint them whatever I want for "daylight" colors and then go back over it with the glow paint.

I'm doing mine the same colors as yours.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Also working on undead, first test model for Grave Guard conversions:

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Did you order that Great Unclean One yet?  That looks dope.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 14, 2020, 05:49:37 AM
Did you order that Great Unclean One yet?  That looks dope.

No, I don't feel like spending $300 on a plastic easter egg.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Anyone else see those new Necron and Primaris models?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Jun 15, 2020, 12:59:56 PM
Anyone else see those new Necron and Primaris models?

Two weeks ago, yes.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

"Bat" swarms for my undead:

Fixing up old Goblins. Monopose make before/after shots easy:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed