Bold prediction about who the main protagonist is (spoilers)

Started by bacchus, Dec 25, 2016, 12:47:18 PM

Author
Bold prediction about who the main protagonist is (spoilers) (Read 3,508 times)

bacchus

Having watched the trailer, I have a theory about who the actual main protagonist is going to be.

From the outset, I think everyone believes that Katherine Waterston's character is going to be the main protagonist of this film - going by some of the production shots, press releases and a few other tidbits.

However, I think Ridley is being clever about it, and that he might have a trick or two up his sleeves.

I actually think that....

Spoiler
Carmen Ejogo's character is going to be the main protagonist. We see in the trailer she is trapped in quarantine with the crew member and the "backburster" - the other crew member won't let her out of quarantine. We then see a shot of Carmen Ejogo's character in the same room, holding a blade, sitting up on the counter presumably defending herself against whatever has burst out of the guy's back.

My reasoning - I think Ridley has been clever by not showing too much of her. We've only seen her once in the trailer, and the only time we have is with her facing conflict, and showing fight by defending herself. Then nothing else. The focus then is on Katherine Waterston's character.

I have a feeling that Ridley is going to give us the impression of Katherine Waterston's character being the main protagonist probably for at least a third/half of the movie, before being unexpectedly killed. Then Ejogo's character will emerge, possibly after it being hinted at that she has been killed first.
[close]

It might not turn out to be true, but really have a feeling that's what Ridley has planned.

Enoch

That would be smarter writing... bur then again for that
you would need a better or experienced actress than Ejogo...
or maybe she is fine enough.

Still, I dont think this ll be the case at all. :) ;)

MrSpaceJockey

Sigourney Ripley wasn't necessarily an experienced actress when she became Ellen Ripley in 1979...

Enoch

True. :)
We ll see. This one needs more than one good
twist to be successful..

bacchus

Quote from: Enoch on Dec 25, 2016, 12:50:58 PM
That would be smarter writing... bur then again for that
you would need a better or experienced actress than Ejogo...
or maybe she is fine enough.

Still, I dont think this ll be the case at all. :) ;)

Carmen Ejogo has been in some high profile films recently - Selma, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Purge:Anarchy etc.

She is just under the radar enough to pull off something like this, without obviously being a big name. I think with Katherine Waterston, she has been heavily hinted at at being the main protagonist. It just feels too obvious.

Enoch

Enoch

Yes, you may be right...
They promoted Waterston more than they needed to.
Suspicious... you may be correct or Fox indeed forgot how
to promote movies and keep the mouth shut when necessary.

szkoki

I dont think they give a damn about these kinds of things. Fassbender and the chick and thats it.

Enoch

It seems they dont care about anything...
That happens when film studios are managed by beer
companies and fuel magnates.

szkoki

Just wish once they would film fake deaths for a trailer :D time and money i know but still

Stolen

I'm almost sure Daniels will die! I really think that McBride will be our survivor in the shadows

Infected

Infected

Spoiler
Ehm that scene takes place in the dropship, the dropship will blow up and nobody survives.
Carmen Ejogo is not a face or character that a lot of people can relate to or have feelings for, her look is way too much negative.
usually a character is neutral or sexy, if you portrait a character that has a face of a person you just dont like,
you will ruin your own movie, its not dissrespecting but its just good casting. 
[close]

Spoiler just in case.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Stolen on Dec 25, 2016, 01:41:03 PM
I'm almost sure Daniels will die! I really think that McBride will be our survivor in the shadows

It's about time we get a film where they do kill off the main female protagonist. It's too much of a trope at this point.

Re: Ejogo's character and the scene from the trailer. It was shown in more detail at the Showcase 2017 event. The coverage goes into much detail about it -

Spoiler
The scene opens on Danny McBride communicating from The Covenant in orbit to the recon team onboard. "Are we talking quarantine protocoals?" he says, as we cut to the planet surface, where shit has obviously gone wrong. Something has happened to one of the crew members (which is likely a result of the black spores that someone steps on in the trailer), a man who appears infected. His skin is pale and breathing labored. Two of the other crew members, played by Carmen Ejogo and Amy Seimetz, are carrying the man back to the dropship, which is docked in a grassy field. The atmosphere is dark, the clouds stormy, the area windy. It looks foreboding.

Outside the ship, the infected man pukes up some black goo and everyone freaks out (I mean, who wouldn't?) But, they bring him aboard the shuttle regardless, seeing as Charlize Theron isn't there with a blowtorch this time. Ejogo takes him into the medbay and starts to strip him down. The infected man is freaking out, but never says a word, too focused on what's going on...inside his body.

We then cut to another part of the planet's surface where Billy Crudup is with another team of explorers who are heading back to the dropship. They've got an infected man as well and are also heading back to the dropship. It's obvious things have gone very wrong since that initial approach to the planet and this is the first moment when these explorers are about to see what they've gotten themselves into.

Back in the medbay on the dropship (you can see snippets of this scene in the trailer), the infected man has some kind of outbreak on his back, like a series of bloody pestules. Blood spurts out of them and he goes into convulsions, shaking wildly. Carmen Ejogo is in the room with him and she starts freaking out at his condition. Amy Seimetz is communicating with The Covenant, freaking out herself, trying to convey what's happening. She starts crying and kind of losing it.

Back in the medbay, Ejogo is trying to help the infected man. Spikes suddenly pop out of his back and cut her. She reels back and then his spine seems to BURST OPEN and fall to the floor, some type of creature attached to it. Like a newborn, it kind of wiggles around a bit as it "wakes up". We get a closer look at the creature and it's basically a dog-sized white-colored xenomorph with spikes on its back. It seems to grow slightly bigger with each passing second. It charges at Ejogo and she kicks it away. It turns to come back, attacking her, scratching and clawing. She defends herself as they struggle in a huge puddle of blood.

The white xenomorph escapes the room and chases after Amy Seimetz as she fires at it with a shotgun. It continues to grow as all of this happens. The creature leaps all over the place, clinging to walls, dodging every shot. Seimetz is firing blindly and eventually hits a series of tanks, which sets off a massive explosion, destroying the dropship entirely. Outside the exploding ship, we see Billy Crudup's team nearly there and witnessing the devastation. They's screwed. They stop in their tracks, still dealing with their own sick man, who almost on cue starts convulsing like the guy on the dropship.

His convulsions don't last long, as the camera closes in on his face when suddenly another one of the spiked, white xenomorph's BURST from his FACE, blood gushing everywhere. The xenomorph takes off running into the grass, while the team reels from what just happened. Fassbender's Walter simply looks on...very curiously.

[close]

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/alien-covenant-trailer-interview-wkatherine-waterston-preview-scenes-103

harlequinade

Hicks is that the full description of shown footage or was there more?

Corporal Hicks

harlequinade

ahh OK :) Well at least that kinda overlapped with what was shown in the trailer so they didn't spoil too much

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed