Bold prediction about who the main protagonist is (spoilers)

Started by bacchus, Dec 25, 2016, 12:47:18 PM

Author
Bold prediction about who the main protagonist is (spoilers) (Read 3,510 times)

Le Celticant

Quote from: brill0_pad on Dec 26, 2016, 08:24:24 PM
Quote from: Le Celticant on Dec 26, 2016, 07:35:02 PM
Quote from: brill0_pad on Dec 26, 2016, 07:19:16 PM
but Covenant isn't picking up from where the last movie ended. its 10 years later. We wont see the trilobite or the Deacon and we wont find out what happened to them after the events of Prometheus. Dont get me wrong, this could all be addressed in another movie, but its not this movie.

AVPR didn't adress what happened to the craters in Antartica or if there were still Penguin standing there.
10 Years or not, you still going to have 3 of the main protagonists return, with one still playing a major role.
It's a direct sequel, hypersleep or not.

no because anyone with any ounce of understanding of that franchise would know the point of AVP and AVP:R was to showcase the Predalien, something theorised in several graphic novels and a pretty awesome game YEARS before these movies came out. not to learn about Weyland or the humans or the craters or the penguins.

In my mind, and many other a direct sequal to prometheus would have us back on that planet trying to figure out just where there million dollar starship, crew, ceo, daughter and man child went. This is obviously not the case from the leaked synopsis.

also, who's the 3rd protagonist returning? only 2 people left Prometheus "alive" and one of those sure wasn't a protagonist.

The point of AVP was never to show the Predalien.
No sequels were anticipated in advance, AVP:R got made and greenlight years after AVP.
It's just a cool addition that ended up being there.

Same thing with Alien Covenant could be said if I may quote yourself:
anyone with any ounce of understanding of that franchise would know the point of Prometheus and Alien:Covenant was to showcase the origin of the Alien, something theorised in several graphic novels and a pretty awesome game YEARS before these movies came out.
::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Prometheus ends with a pretty straight message left by Shaw "There's only death here".
No point in staying there to tell the same story again, she left and so we're moving with her to find the engineer homeworld.
This is the obvious sequel, no surprise in this I think. At least that's what I expected.

Protagonist / Antagonist, ya know, I meant the character who hold the card in this Ridley Scott's not so black and white world.
As far as I know:
-Shaw
-David
-Weyland

David apparently plays quite a role.
Shaw will appear but her role is unclear.
Weyland may be more than what we actually believe he is.
His name is on every ship, cargo, cities, technologies out there.
His spirit is there and it kinda started the whole thing and I wouldn't be surprised that David is actually following his footsteps.

Both movies seems really close to AVP and AVP:R in terms of structure and goals.
What differs is the universe they take place but it's kind of the same story told a bit differently.

Ragonk_Force

Quote from: whiterabbit on Dec 26, 2016, 08:20:06 PM
I think the main protagonists will be David.
From what we already know, id say hes going to be an antagonist

Ingwar

Quote from: Ragonk_Force on Dec 26, 2016, 11:15:25 PM

Of course that main antagonist is David. Walter is protagonist.

rabidranger

rabidranger

Quote from: Ingwar on Dec 26, 2016, 11:19:04 PM
Quote from: Ragonk_Force on Dec 26, 2016, 11:15:25 PM

Of course that main antagonist is David. Walter is protagonist.

It sounds like Walter is going to be David's flunkie.....(Walter's Data to David's Lore).

Ragonk_Force

It will be alot of fun watching walter and david interact. Fassbender is awesome

Ingwar

Quote from: Ragonk_Force on Dec 26, 2016, 11:24:01 PM
It will be alot of fun watching walter and david interact. Fassbender is awesome

He'll steal entire show.

ripp3r

ripp3r

Great point of discussion!  Consider the cast in order of their popularity from IMDB (based on their "STARmeter" rating):

Michael Fassbender
Katherine Waterston
James Franco
Noomi Rapace
Guy Pearce
Callie Hernandez
Billy Crudup   
Carmen Ejogo   
Danny McBride
Demián Bichir
Jussie Smollett
Amy Seimetz
Goran D. Kleut
Uli Latukefu
Benjamin Rigby
Tess Haubrich
Alexander England
Matt Scaletti
Nathaniel Dean

All movies in the Alien series have had a female lead protagonist, and not that it means every Alien film thereafter will also have a female lead, but there's probably a 90% chance, right?  So let's filter it by female characters (wow, that's a lot of lost dudes!):

Katherine Waterston
Noomi Rapace
Callie Hernandez
Carmen Ejogo
Amy Seimetz
Tess Haubrich

It was reported that Noomi was present for only a single week of filming so it's highly unlikely that she plays a role in this film that extends past a flashback, so let's eliminate her:

Katherine Waterston
Callie Hernandez
Carmen Ejogo
Amy Seimetz
Tess Haubrich

Now let's refer to the trailer's scenes and estimate based on their opportunity for death / heroism (important to consider).  The first death / heroism opportunity is shown in the medical bay where Carmen is locked in and Amy is free in the hallway.  Carmen's chance of survival is immediately low because she is trapped with the back-burster, and Amy uses the excuse of containing an infection as a reason to not free Carmen.  Right off the bat we can write off Amy, as heroism does not overlap with cowardice / protocol (though this is likely confirmed later anyway).  We last see Carmen holding a knife outward in defense of whatever popped out of that dude's back.  Now the rumors are that the thing that has burst out of his back is also the neomorph, which if you fast-forward can be seen being shot at by Amy in a room that is also not the medical bay.  This indicates that it has escaped the medical bay by some means.  It is also believed that Amy causes the entire drop-ship to explode in to flames by shooting at it, and assuming that this is true then it is also likely that it is her figure we later see consumed and overwhelmed by the ship's flames, though it could also be Carmen's.  So back to Carmen's situation: it probably ends in one of two ways: 1) she is overwhelmed by the newborn creature and is killed and later escapes off-screen, but I would put my bet on 2) she defends herself against the newborn, injuring it in its initially weak state and causing it to break through any of the weak structures of the room (window, vent) to escape her and likely also enabling her means of escape as well.  So for now let's assume that Carmen is the protagonist and that Amy is eliminated:

Katherine Waterston
Callie Hernandez
Carmen Ejogo*
Tess Haubrich

If I'm not mistaken, the next female character we see is Tess, stating "how about we don't know what the f**k's out there" followed by her standing with Walter/David in the same room as the egg that opens to let loose a facehugger that we assume latches onto Billy's face.  She probably helps to bring him back to the drop-ship (which blows up in front of them).  Nothing much to go on here though.  We're still standing with:

Katherine Waterston
Callie Hernandez
Carmen Ejogo*
Tess Haubrich

Next we see Katherine running down the hallway (white tank-top), grabbing a gun from Danny on the way (a notably heroic gesture), followed by what looks like Tess screaming (dark tank-top).  Let's assume that Tess' scream is her last:

Katherine Waterston
Callie Hernandez
Carmen Ejogo*

Last we see Callie in the shower getting it on, which we can only assume ends no better for her than her lover.  This leaves us with:

Katherine Waterston
Carmen Ejogo*

We see VERY little of Katherine throughout the entire trailer, but when we do it is a heroic moment of grabbing a gun on the run to address a dangerous situation (a threat that needs to be addressed or a victim that needs saving).  This leaves two characters that show heroic responses to threatening situations.  We never see Carmen again in spite of her involvement with a fairly major scene though.  At this point I'm with those that say the protagonist is being hidden on purpose, and that the protagonist is indeed:

Katherine Waterston

Note that this also aligns with the list of female actors, in order of popularity.

Ragonk_Force

Quote from: Ingwar on Dec 26, 2016, 11:36:28 PM

He'll steal entire show.
I have. Good feeling about Mcbride after seeing him in the trailer. I think he will surprise people

Ingwar

Quote from: Ragonk_Force on Dec 27, 2016, 01:22:08 AM

He'll steal entire show.
I have. Good feeling about Mcbride after seeing him in the trailer. I think he will surprise people

My feelings that
Spoiler
he and Daniels will survive.
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Ragonk_Force on Dec 27, 2016, 01:22:08 AM

He'll steal entire show.

His brief sections are probably my favorite of the trailer. I think he looks great in them. Really looking forward to seeing him get into the role.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed