Engineers just advanced humans?

Started by Xenoscream, May 20, 2016, 11:13:08 AM

Author
Engineers just advanced humans? (Read 1,217 times)

Xenoscream

Xenoscream

After seeing the set picture leak it got me thinking, what if the engineers we met in Prometheus were actually just another seeded life form (like us) but further along in development.

It fits in with the theme of stealing from the Gods - what if they stole the technology and ability to create life from their own creators - then started messing around with it.

It would go some way to explain:
•The fact they managed to mess up and wipe themselves out (i.e. they didn't know what they were doing)
•The murals of other lifeforms and the shrine image of the Xeno i.e. there is something they seem to regard as higher than themselves, or are striving to achieve
•Their desire to wipe out humans and potentially the other race we have seen in the leaked set photos i.e. wipe out the competition / destroy God's other works as revenge

Further support for this theory is the DNA match in Prometheus, they are an exact DNA match to humans.

The main thing against this theory is the scene at the start of Prometheus - however if we look at this as the engineer trying to use the planet seeding they have stolen, it kind of works and is nicely symbolic i.e. using the fire destroys them

Things that still make no sense:
•The directions to that planet left on Earth (possibly Engineers saying, come visit us once you are useful)
•The reason the engineer is not happy about David being a robot (perhaps in the act of creating "life" humans mimic God which really pissed him off)

The main thing I like about this is that it changes the Engineers from antagonists to something else.

Thoughts?

Enoch

Enoch

Very much possible. ;)
Who is the metaphorical Prometheus in Prometheus?

Humans or the Engineers?

whiterabbit

Humans made the Engineers who then remade humans? I still like my idea that humans are just one of many back up copies that happen to not be needed any more. The Engineers are in the same boat, they crushed us (or where intending too) to appease the creator.

Xenoscream

Xenoscream

Quote from: whiterabbit on May 20, 2016, 12:18:42 PM
Humans made the Engineers who then remade humans? I still like my idea that humans are just one of many back up copies that happen to not be needed any more. The Engineers are in the same boat, they crushed us (or where intending too) to appease the creator.

I'm proposing that engineers were made by something that is not human, and that something also made us, basically seeded a whole bunch of planets with the same kind of life, at different periods of time.

There is no indication that the planet the Enginners seed at the start of the film is Earth, they could have been trying to create something else, somewhere else just as easily.

oduodu

oduodu

OP

Very similar to what I had in mind a few years ago.

Forgetting script revelations look at the size if the engineers in the cave paintings. They seem at least twice as large as the humans. I like the idea of 15 foot super engineers OR maybe SJ's like alien?

Astronoë

Astronoë

Well, that would be the

The Alien Predator

What supports your theory is something in the Weyland-Yutani Report which states that the Engineers
Spoiler
may not be our creators, but a "brother" species to humanity.

And this report was written in-universe at some point after Resurrection, so after 2381. This report also was mentioned in Sea of Sorrows in the year 2497 so who knows what humans discovered about the Engineers by this time?
[close]

Also, regarding one of your points against this theory being the beginning of Prometheus. I think Ridley said "that doesn't have to be Earth".

So in your theory, that could very well be an Engineer mimicking its creator on some different world? I know it heavily insinuates that this is probably how they made us on Earth, but again, it could just be insinuating how the process creates life, not particularly that it was them.

Corporal Hicks

It really does seem like they're trying to take a step back and say that the Engineers that we found on LV-223 aren't actually the Space Jockeys. I know that'll make a lot of people happy - I just hope it's not done in an overly complicated or hamfisted way.

whiterabbit

Just make the engineers man's cousin.

irn

irn

The idea that the Engineers are actually modified humans seems more appealing. It satisifies keeping the mystery of the Space Jockey and takes away the sillyness of them being human ancestors. The latter just goes against so much in biological science and evolution that takes away immersion in the story.

So it could be like the Space Jockeys discovered Earth a few thousand years ago and found these advanced creatures walking around with tools and building things. They saw the potential and started to speed up the process for whatever reason they had. They 'upgraded' the humans and the experiment went a bit awry on LV-223 and/or elsewhere. So we now get the Engineer mystery. Perhaps they were turning the goo against their creators? Maybe they even made the goo by playing around with the SJ things they've inherited. There's a lot to go with.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed