Will The Covenant design and ship technology be similar to what we seen in Alien

Started by Wobblyboddle77, Feb 29, 2016, 02:08:54 AM

Author
Will The Covenant design and ship technology be similar to what we seen in Alien (Read 3,474 times)

Wobblyboddle77

Hey, i was thinking with Alien Covenant being set approximately 10 years after prometheus, do you think the ship and its technology will be more in line with the Nostromo? If the Covenant is a kind of battered colonist ship looking for somewhere to settle and is not funded by weyland, it is more likely to have a used future worn look? I wonder if Scott is going back in that direction?

SpreadEagleBeagle

I hope they'll go back to classical look, more or less. However, to not make PROM look like a stand-alone film and universe, they should probably blend it a little bit. It would be cool if there was a hint to why the computers are so "primitive", or crude, on military vessels, freighters and old prisons, but super flashy and full of holograms everywhere else. The disconnect when it comes to technology between PROM and the Alien movies is kind of glaring to me.

Corporal Hicks

I think "everywhere" is a little erroneous. We saw one top of the line science vessel.

But I do agree, it'd be nice to see a return to the battered look. I get why they went for the aesthetic they did but it did stick out.

Infected

The industrial looks of things in the Alien or Aliens universe is almost as important as the xeno itself.
Even Prometheus looked futuristic it still had that industrial look to it,
like the workers in the cargo bay.
If you wanna have the audience feel the vibe you got to have something to relate to,
and industrial worn out parts and not too much of smooth faces will help in that process.

whiterabbit

The industrial aesthetic is very much a theme of Alien. Which is partly why Prometheus felt so far out of sync to Alien. Which is what an alien movie needs unless all that is desired is a movie with the alien in it. So I hope they take it back to the look and feel of the original.

Astronoë

Astronoë

Quote from: Infected on Feb 29, 2016, 11:17:47 AM
The industrial looks of things in the Alien or Aliens universe is almost as important as the xeno itself.
If you wanna have the audience feel the vibe you got to have something to relate to,
and industrial worn out parts and not too much of smooth faces will help in that process.

No it isn't, the industrial feel was only important to that movie, not to the beast, don't need it in future films. It's about the CREATURE not about what random ships were used during the movies n that has to be regurgitated for all time...this ruins creativity by running around in circles...the whole point of the Prometheus franchise was to do NEW SHIT...

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Feb 29, 2016, 04:55:05 AM
I hope they'll go back to classical look, more or less. However, to not make PROM look like a stand-alone film and universe, they should probably blend it a little bit. It would be cool if there was a hint to why the computers are so "primitive", or crude, on military vessels, freighters and old prisons, but super flashy and full of holograms everywhere else. The disconnect when it comes to technology between PROM and the Alien movies is kind of glaring to me.

No, it would be totally pointless to do that, people know the old looks was because it was an old movie n it shoudl be left alone for that period of time it was made, there's no point trying to fool the audience why we should have an old look just for the sake of stroking a few peoples nostalgia...

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Astronoë on Mar 01, 2016, 05:35:51 AM

No it isn't, the industrial feel was only important to that movie, not to the beast, don't need it in future films. It's about the CREATURE not about what random ships were used during the movies n that has to be regurgitated for all time.

Au contraire, the industrial look of the Nostromo was very important since it allowed the bio-mechanical beast to blend-in with the ship. The Alien would have sticked out like a sore thumb on the Prometheus.

Infected

Infected

Quote from: whiterabbit on Feb 29, 2016, 12:04:50 PM
The industrial aesthetic is very much a theme of Alien. Which is partly why Prometheus felt so far out of sync to Alien. Which is what an alien movie needs unless all that is desired is a movie with the alien in it. So I hope they take it back to the look and feel of the original.
The Prometheus vessel was like queen Amidala's ship in the Phantom Menace, way out of place and to smooth.
It kinda defined the prequels, everything was so smooth and polished done, it lost the complete Star Wars feel.
Same as with Prometheus, no more pipes blowing steam no more hard working welders, just nice warm beds with nice holograms and emergency pods with medpods.

Quote from: Astronoë on Mar 01, 2016, 05:35:51 AM

No it isn't, the industrial feel was only important to that movie, not to the beast, don't need it in future films. It's about the CREATURE not about what random ships were used during the movies n that has to be regurgitated for all time...this ruins creativity by running around in circles...the whole point of the Prometheus franchise was to do NEW SHIT...

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Feb 29, 2016, 04:55:05 AM

No, it would be totally pointless to do that, people know the old looks was because it was an old movie n it shoudl be left alone for that period of time it was made, there's no point trying to fool the audience why we should have an old look just for the sake of stroking a few peoples nostalgia...
Well you have to look at it as fisherman on the open sea going after tuna or other stuff, they are in boats that really dont look like,
cruise ships or ships based on comfort, but build for durability and are strong, roughneck stuff.

You think Aliens would be cool if it all hapenend in a Star Trek Enterprise kinda corridors with a nice climate and nice walls with suede grips and leather stitching.
When something happens on a oil rig station and marines go in, i tell you it would all look pretty rough and the harsh enviroments will do play a major part in the approach of everything.

But i get it, you kids nowadays grow up with a lot of tech and cool stuff, but where i come from we had to work in shitty places for our money and a lot of people still do, so harsh enviroments really do make a big difference.
And besides that a lot of real Alien fans are getting older and they just like me, arent there just for the kills of the xeno,
but more attracted to the mystery of the undifined jockeys and xenos.
We seen a lot, im not interested in a die hard in space, i would like to see some exploration some god like things questioning religions and god and the boundaries of what we know and how we see things,
the alien universe isnt just a survival horror its a f**kin adventure.

Enoch

Enoch

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 01, 2016, 01:15:25 PM
Au contraire, the industrial look of the Nostromo was very important since it allowed the bio-mechanical beast to blend-in with the ship. The Alien would have sticked out like a sore thumb on the Prometheus.

For that reason we have "Paradise" ;D Who knows what constructions (pyramids, ships, temples...)
and facilities will be there... I presume that the design of all those contstructions is going to be bio-mechanod in its nature (Giger, Gutalin, Haag, Dan Walker concept arts and designs... I have some more names but cant reveal them). I also think that Covenant is going to be similar to Prometheus in aspects of technology and complete look, and my presumtion is that Dan Walker will do main designs for Covenant vessel! We know that there is some evolving creature in "Paradise", and I think that Covenant crew will come across with that creature in those facilities and "temples"... Paradise is dark and desolate place, but that doesnt mean that there is no consturctions or some temples or even nature in some extent... All alien movies are mainly interior (main story is interior) and very claustrophobic so dont worry about that. I also think that Xeno is not going to be a main antagonist of Covenant movie (we shall see all; egg, facehugger, and the big guy, but something more dangerous will be there...), and we cant expect standard Alien story in which Xeno is running around and killing everybody except last survivor (one or two). So they have a chance to make the great story but if they fail to develope good and compeling characters and fine narrative, then the whole franchise is definitely over, and that fact is sure very much present in the minds of Ridley and Fox executives! If they fail with this one... Alien is going straight to the greatest pits of abyss ;D
My impression is that they are very confident about Covenant and the other two... I'm hoping they will succeed! :)

hfeldhaus

Prometheus ship aesthetics made sense to me, it was a one off ship made at the beginning of Interstellar travel. Covenant is ten years later so it remains to be seen how ftl technology has advanced and if it was as common as it seemed in Alien. I'd be happy with mix of Prometheus and the Nostromo.

irn

A gradual move to the Alien style would be good with Covenant and its follow up.

whiterabbit

Quote from: Infected on Mar 01, 2016, 03:04:20 PM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Feb 29, 2016, 12:04:50 PM
The Prometheus vessel was like queen Amidala's ship in the Phantom Menace, way out of place and to smooth.
It kinda defined the prequels, everything was so smooth and polished done, it lost the complete Star Wars feel.
Same as with Prometheus, no more pipes blowing steam no more hard working welders, just nice warm beds with nice holograms and emergency pods with medpods.

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Mar 01, 2016, 04:33:40 PM
Prometheus ship aesthetics made sense to me, it was a one off ship made at the beginning of Interstellar travel. Covenant is ten years later so it remains to be seen how ftl technology has advanced and if it was as common as it seemed in Alien. I'd be happy with mix of Prometheus and the Nostromo.
It's just like infected said, although it's easier to excuse star wars because the Amidala time was before a grand galactic war broke out. It was sort of like a golden age that was brought down to the bronze age. However the bottom line with both the PT and Prometheus is that the sexy factor was done... because they could. It's exactly like David asking Hollyway why did his people create him, because we could.  :laugh:

It didn't even make sense either for a story logic point of view. Even today's space shuttle craft 40 years on from Alien look like crap next to the Nosotromo. They did the holograms and flat panels because cgi allowed them too. However even in the real world you don't see any of that stuff in real application... yet.

Xeno-Dwarf

I personally didn't mind the more advanced looking design of the Prometheus. It was transporting Peter Weyland after all, so it makes sense that they would have spared no expense. I can't imagine a man of his wealth and power would want to take a ride on a rundown Nostromo-esque ship. And I think it mainly depends on the type of crew we see in Covenant. If they are just employees like in Alien, then I think it would be beneficial to have something more rundown and worn out. I have a feeling it wouldn't look quite as retro, but it sort of makes sense that it wouldn't, given the fact that the first Alien did come out in 1979. I hope it's more of a gradual return to form over the next couple sequels, rather than a complete overhaul. And although the tech in Aliens does look more lived in, it definitely feels different from the first Alien.

Astronoë

Astronoë

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 01, 2016, 01:15:25 PMAu contraire, the industrial look of the Nostromo was very important since it allowed the bio-mechanical beast to blend-in with the ship. The Alien would have sticked out like a sore thumb on the Prometheus.

It was important to that particular film, not all films to come, what was special then was to hide the beast from the audience until the end, now that everyone is so familiar with them, with so many movies n cross-overs, there's no reason to try to be sneaky about it, no reason to pretend the audience won't know what's out there. Besides the beast's agiltity, speed n aggressivness more than makes up for how the environment looks...it won't have much problems taking care of business...

No, what interests me more is environments that would make it look cool, and where it would contrast against the environment which would make it look even scarier

Besides, Weyland Yutani aren't going to send some freighter, with random n00bs after the previous ship in Prometheus went missing which had crew with 'experts' but at least guards with big guns, so sending some Nostromo with hardly any weapons or expertise in any relevant field that could be of help...yeah, I don't see that happening, won't be some freighter..that was what was so idiotic with the first two movies...first some random truckers n then some colonist civilians, it made great movies, but doesn't change the fact that it was pure idiotic, Weyland Yutani had all the time in the world, they wanted to secure their price n not get the word out n prevent worst case scenario some other company or state agency get hold of it..so sending random people is totally unbelievable, they would never have made such decisions in reality..I'm tired of the random n00bs..the old movies were great, I don't want a repeat of them though..if Ridley sends off some random scrubs with in some freighter in the next movie, i'll stab my eyes...

slick n dark

now this, THIS, would have made a spectacular scene..holy shit so many possibilities...

Lots of glowy screens n buttons n stuff, well, the Alien's skin could perhaps reflect a lot of it on its skin, giving it somewhat of an 'camouflage'

kinda like that shit in jurassic park, stuff reflects, though would work better on the alien

light itself is an environment, red works well..

it it reflected little light, it could be like a terrible shadow passing through..

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Mar 01, 2016, 04:33:40 PM

I agree, it was built for Mr.Weyland himself, he wanted nothing less than success, it reflected who he was, striving ahead, overcoming obstacles, it needed to have the best tech n shit, not be some freighter than broke down all the time like Nostromo..

ze hyperdrive is leaking again..

Quote from: whiterabbit on Mar 01, 2016, 11:13:11 PMIt's just like infected said, although it's easier to excuse star wars because the Amidala time was before a grand galactic war broke out. It was sort of like a golden age that was brought down to the bronze age.

That doesn't make sense, you have a whole freaking galaxy of innumerable alien species part of galactic-wide super-state, the scope of it all is too big to narrow it down to everyone having certain style of look for ships...oh sure, you need a few artists n they will repeat themselves in the art, but still..to me I'd expect ships of different designs depending on the alien species, but some like Amidala's ship is probably some popular style imported across the galaxy, for those who can afford it..still, star wars can't be too linear..

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Nubia_Star_Drives,_Incorporated

Infected

Quote from: Xeno-Dwarf on Mar 01, 2016, 11:50:43 PM
I personally didn't mind the more advanced looking design of the Prometheus. It was transporting Peter Weyland after all, so it makes sense that they would have spared no expense. I can't imagine a man of his wealth and power would want to take a ride on a rundown Nostromo-esque ship. And I think it mainly depends on the type of crew we see in Covenant. If they are just employees like in Alien, then I think it would be beneficial to have something more rundown and worn out. I have a feeling it wouldn't look quite as retro, but it sort of makes sense that it wouldn't, given the fact that the first Alien did come out in 1979. I hope it's more of a gradual return to form over the next couple sequels, rather than a complete overhaul. And although the tech in Aliens does look more lived in, it definitely feels different from the first Alien.
Makes you wonder, if it was really possible to take such a journey with only one small ship.
What if you ran into trouble, ship parts worn out or just popped of, how would you replace that?
Would you take the same ship with you in parts? like what materials that we have could withstand such long and cold journeys.
You just need drones to pull such a risky thing, but will a movie with only androids work?
would a reverse Alien movie work, with only androids and maybe one or two humans that stay a mystery to the end.
"oh yeah the journey is fully done by androids, we got 9 models in total we got 4 Bishop engineer models with updated look, 2 David explorer models and 1 new Jane (Fonda) model to do the service and cleaning of the ship and androids, and two other new models with state of the art tech inside, the other androids will even think they are human because everything is different a full new OS and interface reaction output, guess what we call them? Cain and Abel.... LoL...i know the board doesnt like their names because of all the bible references but hey who cares, this where they are going will probably change life as we know it anyway.."

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed