2014 AvP Galaxy Awards - Set Up Thread [VOTING IS CLOSED]

Started by Crazy Rich, Nov 19, 2014, 11:20:00 PM

Author
2014 AvP Galaxy Awards - Set Up Thread [VOTING IS CLOSED] (Read 2,205 times)

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Well, this occasion marks the 6th year of our annual forum awards. Ladies and gentlemen I am your host Crazy Rich and I welcome you to the 2014 AvPGalaxy Forum Awards. Quite a few of you already know the program by now but for you newcomers the forums awards is a fun occasion to nominate fellow members for awards and celebrate their contributions (that's the short and sweet summary of it anyway). Voting process is the same as usual, there will be two rounds of voting, the 1st round is to determine the nominees and the 2nd round is the final show down, all the votes are sent to me through PM.

Let's lay down the ground rules
- the nominee must be currently active on the forum
- nominated material must be from this year or at least from after the last forum awards ended (December 15, 2013)
- no voting for yourself, but "for your consideration" promotion is allowed
- material must be from the forum itself, material from outside the forum will not be accepted
- you can change your votes if voting is still open by re-submitting your votes, I'll count the new and delete the old
- if you are unfamiliar with a category research it
- if find you're torn between two choices in the 1st round, enter both
(2012 general notes is the reference, just so you know this didn't come out of thin air)

Update: November 30th

Unfortunately I must announce that the 2014 awards are cancelled due to poor turn out (only 4 submissions). Please read on for not only the final speech but for the 2 honourable mentions as we conclude the awards early.

Speech:

Well, here we are at 6 years of the awards and though it did not go as we had hoped I'll nonetheless share some honest words. Ever since I stepped up to be host I had my doubts that the awards would succeed this year. I had felt that there were perhaps members more qualified and deserving than me to take the job and lead the way, but no one stepped up, that is when I decided to step up, despite my doubts I took up the torch. Where does my doubt come from? It comes from current events over the past month (not an absolute reason but it is a big one) and how those events lead to this place growing more quiet, and it really shows in this years poor turn out for the awards. You may be asking why I bothered if I had my doubts, here is my answer. As a person of some tradition I've come to see the AvPGalaxy Awards as one of our traditions. A time of which we members of AvPGalaxy come together to recognize and honour the achievements and feats of our fellow members and to together celebrate what has made our fellowship what we made it into over the many years. I took the job instead of just letting it not happen because I still believe you guys are worth it. I may be kinda disappointed the galaxy awards fell short on my watch, but I have no regrets as I believe you were worth trying for. Now I only ask one thing of you, that is to remember the members next to you. The monster and creature experts, the movie and T.V enthusiasts, the talented artists and writers, the gamers and the comic book guys and the helpful members and funny members and more. Remember those moments that would prompt a smile or a laugh and look forward to great moments and memories to come.

If anything should be taken away from this year... it's that you drop that turd called Aliens: Colonial Marines if you haven't already and go pick up Alien:Isolation.

Now that the deep stuff is out of the way, let's go on to the honourable mentions!

Honourable Mentions

So the awards fell short this year, it may be sad, but there is no way I'm concluding the awards without showing two members some well deserved recognition. These are two members that I think deserve the following recognition hands down, and in which case most would likely agree. The award design is done by myself and I'd like to thank Nightmare Asylum for the helpful feedback on them. Let's get on to the honourable mentions!

For Best Project...
Spoiler
SiL!

If you thought the written story from B-Rad was ridiculous, SiL with the help of company decided to board the train and sabotage the breaks with SiL's fan film adaption of Predator 3: Vengeance for Wolf, so ridiculous that it is also genius and amazing. One of the greatest things Galaxy has seen this year! See for yourself in just one click of the thread link below, and then another click for the play button.

Thread: http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=50035.msg1860898#msg1860898
[close]

And for Best Artist...

Spoiler
Requiem28!

This year has been a quieter year in the art department, but one active thread has stood out roaring with strong art that frankly has me at a loss of words. It is the work of Requiem28 that never fails to impress, and if you'd like to see his work from the past year or even beyond, click the link to the thread below.

Thread: http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=21823.0
[close]

And that concludes the 2014 awards early, have a happy and safe rest of your 2014 and stay frosty my friends!

Shasvre

It's nice to see this get going, Rich. I love your choice of logo. ;D

Crazy Rich

Thanks.  :)

Right off the bat I have something for the consideration of the voters. For Best Project - SiL's Predator: Vengeance For Wolf fan film by SiL.

Nightmare Asylum

It definitely has my vote. :D

Wrecktangle

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Nov 20, 2014, 12:06:24 AM
Thanks.  :)

Right off the bat I have something for the consideration of the voters. For Best Project - SiL's Predator: Vengeance For Wolf fan film by SiL.

After I read the source material... That was hilariously brilliant.

I love award shows.

SpaceMarines

Hey guys, Remote is clearly the best project that has ever been projected onto this site.

Vepariga

oh cool the awards is back! :D

I nearly thought we wouldnt see it, nice header image Rich  8)

Randomizer

"Most Likely to Go Off-Topic" category  :P

I think I've seen the 2013 awards , but at that time I was just a guest. I'm curious who will win this year's awards .  :)

Corporal Hicks

It's been a while since I last did one of these. We PM Rich our nominations, right?

Crazy Rich

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 20, 2014, 08:35:33 AM
It's been a while since I last did one of these. We PM Rich our nominations, right?

Yep, but not until I give the go ahead.

There will probably be a few changes in the categories and I'm giving myself till some time during Friday to think and finalize things. I was thinking because many of the art threads don't have much competition this year I was thinking of condensing the specific art style categories into one "Best Artist" category. I'm thinking on it, talking with a couple people about it and you guys are welcome to share your 2 cents. I'd probably throw in my own art thread for consideration just to add variety.

MudButt

nominate me this year for best member name again guys cmon you all know you still love my name

Crazy Rich

I've decided to keep the categories as they are, specifically with the art ones I felt there wasn't much competition this year as this has been a quieter year, but in my thinking process I took a stroll in the fan art section and found that while the artsy side of Galaxy has been quieter I saw some decent art pieces from much more than one person (and I just found out Sagittarius is Topazora's name change so remember that if you ever vote for her). I encourage my fellow members to go check out the fan art section and look at the different art threads, heck check out mine if you want to as I did at least one thing this year, but remember the content has to be from this year (specifically, after December 15, 2013).

So my verdict  is that I'll leave the categories as they are and we'll see how it plays out in the first round of voting.

Speaking of voting, the 1st round of voting is now open.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

ahem... Sexiest Member Post right here guys and gals. ;D

To those who have not seen it... NSFW  :laugh:
Spoiler
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=1453.14702

My post (#14702) is what I was referring to btw.
[close]

This year's awards should be an interesting one... great choice on the A:I btw Crazy Rich!

Crazy Rich

Just a friendly reminder folks, you need to vote for all of the categories and not just a few, try your best.

Randomizer

Thanks for reminding that !  :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed