A Couple of Questions: Predator Language and Interstellar Tourism

Started by Paya, Sep 04, 2014, 08:47:41 PM

Author
A Couple of Questions: Predator Language and Interstellar Tourism (Read 2,823 times)

Paya

First: Is there any complete or in-depth documentation of the Predator language? Please, link it or tell the book's title if any. I'm looking for a comprehensive lexicon, phonology, morphosyntax, etc. Is there any website or fangroup devoted to expand/develop it?

Second: Is there any mention of touristic cruise starships within the AvP universe? Please, point me to information if any.

Thank you.

Darkness

SM

I think the ship in the Havoc comic might've been a cruise liner.

Xenomrph

Yep, the one in Havoc was definitely a cruise liner.

As for Predator language, if you're looking for an in-depth Klingon-esque breakdown, you're going to be disappointed. We know a handful of vocabulary words and that's it.

Paya

Quote from: SM on Sep 04, 2014, 09:46:05 PM
I think the ship in the Havoc comic might've been a cruise liner.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 05, 2014, 03:51:50 AM
Yep, the one in Havoc was definitely a cruise liner.

Thank you. Do you remember/know that ship's name? Is there any image of it around the internet?

Quote from: Darkness on Sep 04, 2014, 08:58:01 PM
http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Yautja_language

It's non canon stuff from the novels.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 05, 2014, 03:51:50 AMAs for Predator language, if you're looking for an in-depth Klingon-esque breakdown, you're going to be disappointed. We know a handful of vocabulary words and that's it.

Pity. I only know that the basic morphosyntax is OVS, just as in Klingon. It's verbal, whatever that means. And has a very small lexicon. Whether or not "verbal" means that all of the words are verbs, I don't know. No information on phonology, phonotactics, morphosyntax, derivational morphology, etc. On the bright side, though, if I ever want to do anything on the language, I can come up with it myself, or invent a new language. There are hundreds of human languages and it's likely that to be the case for yautja/hish too.

Also, the fonts seem to be incomplete. At least, the only font I checked out was lacking the apostrophe which is extensively used in the lexicon, yet I saw no character for it.

tavianini19

Not canon, but this was released during the lead up to the Predator 3D.

Xenomrph

The ship in Havoc is the Lunar Maru, here's an edited scan from my old AvPOE website:

It's pretty much the only good look you get of the ship in the comic.

Paya

In the Xenopedia, I found an article that states Predators "breathe 1% more oxygen, and 4% more nitrogen than humans", is this true? The citation given is "Les Paul Robley (December 1987). Predator: The Original Makeup. Cinefantastique". I guess it's not canon. Can anyone confirm?

tavianini19

I recall in some behind the scenes footage from Predator 2, someone says that's why the city hunter uses the breathing apparatus in LA. It's supposed to help emphasizes the polluted air.

Paya

I was asking because if predators really breathe 1% more oxygen, and 4% more nitrogen than humans, that means they breath 5% more oxygen-nitrogen (combined). On wikipedia we could get that the percentage of oxygen-nitrogen (combined) is 99.03%, so only 0.97% of Earth's atmosphere consists on other gases. If Yautja Prime has really 5% more oxygen-nitrogen than Earth's, it can only be because it's much bigger, thus its atmosphere is denser, maybe much denser. Comments?

Xenomrph

Those numbers sound familiar from somewhere, and I've never heard of "Predator: The Original Makeup. Cinefantastique", so they might have been mentioned somewhere else as well. Perhaps the Weyland Yutani Archive on the AvPR blu-ray? I'd have to check it myself to be sure.

shadowedge

I present to you the best Predator language/culture site on the internet: http://www.oocities.org/gunsandgod/intro.html

This is an old Geocities site, but it is still very, very valuable.

Xenomrph

Much of it is also completely made-up and/or rips off other fan sites, but that's neither here nor there. :P

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 19, 2014, 08:10:54 PM
Much of it is also completely made-up

So what parts are made up? I mean that site has been around since 1995 as far as I can recall and it has a lot of information from the comics and novels.

rips off other fan sites, but that's neither here nor there. :P

And Joker's The Hunted site is better?

Xenomrph

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 19, 2014, 08:55:55 PM
Much of it is also completely made-up

So what parts are made up? I mean that site has been around since 1995 as far as I can recall and it has a lot of information from the comics and novels.

Much of this page is entirely fabricated. A few of the terms (Blooded, Bad Blood, a couple others) can be sourced from the EU, but not necessarily definitions the site ascribes to them. Others (ETA, Honored, the entire "Roles" section, the entire "Consequences" section) are completely made up.

I can verify some of the words on the Language page, but not all of them.

That's just a couple examples.

QuoteAnd Joker's The Hunted site is better?
I didn't say that, especially since I don't know what that site is. ???

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed