Shane Black To Write and Direct Predator Reboot!

Started by 85, Jun 24, 2014, 07:34:28 PM

Author
Shane Black To Write and Direct Predator Reboot! (Read 93,404 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 26, 2014, 01:56:37 PM
They're not Super Predators though. Nothing in the final film really said that. I love the different tribes, I like the idea of blood feuds and different ideologies. They could have handled them much better (only one new Predators, a longer, more skilled classic vs new fight) but they were in no way the BSP's as in the original script.

Yeah, I didn't have a problem with the new Predators in concept; the execution was kind of lacking (for bigger, stronger Press they weren't that big or strong) but I loved the idea and their look.

Not expecting to see them ever again, though. Which doesn't bother me one way or the other. On the off chance they pop up I just hope that they articulate the damn mouth area better this time :P

Uncanny Antman

They're not Super Predators though. Nothing in the final film really said that. I love the different tribes, I like the idea of blood feuds and different ideologies. They could have handled them much better (only one new Predators, a longer, more skilled classic vs new fight) but they were in no way the BSP's as in the original script.
Either way, that final Predator's face looked like shit.  :)

Magegg

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 26, 2014, 02:16:09 PMYeah, I didn't have a problem with the new Predators in concept; the execution was kind of lacking (for bigger, stronger Press they weren't that big or strong) but I loved the idea and their look.
I'm the completely opposite, then. I think the Super Predators worked fine for their movie, the concept was well used, but they're deffinitely something I don't want to see again in the series. If they're forgotten, better.

Aspie

maybe Shane Black will just consult like he did for the original

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Magegg on Jun 26, 2014, 02:26:16 PM
I'm the completely opposite, then. I think the Super Predators worked fine for their movie, the concept was well used, but they're deffinitely something I don't want to see again in the series. If they're forgotten, better.

Agreed with this to a certain extent. I don't think that the Super Predators were really necessary, or even a new idea at all for that matter, especially considering that Predator 2 came up with the sub-species idea first (Stan Winston did liken the Predators to snakes, each one being different but still a snake) but the Super Predators to me felt like they were there to fix something which wasn't even broken to begin with. I felt that they had devalued what the original creature was supposed to be. I hope we don't see these things again, it's bad enough we're getting them in the EU.

I love the different tribes, I like the idea of blood feuds and different ideologies. They could have handled them much better (only one new Predators, a longer, more skilled classic vs new fight) but they were in no way the BSP's as in the original script.

The expanded universe already introduced us to the concept of different clans, different ideologies and clan conflicts without adding anything unnecessary or too drastic. I believe there were mentions of renegade clans way before Three World War, and also mentions of clans that didn't even hunt humans. Clan conflicts while often mentioned were rarely seen and only three instances of it happening are documented in the EU (which.. might be replaced when the new comics are released) in stories such as Prey to the Heavens, Three World War and it was even a plot point in Extinction.

PREDATORS mentioned that there was a clan war, though there was no real explanation given as to why. Were the traditional Hunters kidnapped and placed on the planet as prey? Were the classics viewing as the hunting practices of the BSPs as sacrilege to the hunt? Sure, you could look at the prequel comic to PREDATORS but I wouldn't count that as anything definitive.

SM

The 'why' wasn't relevant.

T Dog

Predators was essentially a reboot or remix or whatever.
Main issues I had with it was that it was overly referential to the first one and that it wasted too much time setting up a story that had no suspense whatsoever - considering the majority of the people in the cinema knew that the humans were being hunted by The Predators.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: tmjhur on Jun 26, 2014, 08:02:08 PMPredators was essentially a reboot or remix or whatever.
It wasn't a reboot at all. The events of the first film were mentioned in it. It was a sequel.

OpenMaw

Beyond just them being mentioned, Royce makes use of that knowledge in the final battle. It cements the ideas of the first film as a history to what we're watching.

Bat Chain Puller

What am I expecting from this project?

A big budget action feature with a late 80's early 90's feel. Expendables meets Predator (but with some clever twist none of us has thought of yet and will divide the fans.) Arnold will probably feature in some capacity.

What do I want from this project?

The same thing I wanted from Predators. It opens on earth with a special unit behind enemy lines in some war torn foreign country. A Predator event occurs right in the middle of the battle and men and women from both sides of the battle are captured, tagged, and dropped onto another world and hunted/pitted against each other for sport in some crazy alien arena/fortress like The Running Man. The survivors make a few extraterrestrial friends and manage to escape the 'game area' and meet up with others who have done so (enter Arnold/Dutch) and together they try to find a way outta this hole.   

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 26, 2014, 08:05:30 PM
Quote from: tmjhur on Jun 26, 2014, 08:02:08 PMPredators was essentially a reboot or remix or whatever.
It wasn't a reboot at all. The events of the first film were mentioned in it. It was a sequel.

Yeah but it's more or less a remake/reboot. It just takes the first movie, throws it in a blender and reassembles it.

But whatever, my main point is that Predators was TOO referential and wasted time building to a reveal that we all knew was coming. We knew what was hunting them from the get go so drawing it out for 40 minutes or so seemed like a waste. Yes I know not EVERYONE has seen the first two movies of the series but I'm sure a lot of people in the cinema knew the basic story.

hfeldhaus

Predators was a reboot in the same sense as x-men first class was. Its a reboot sequel.

Magegg

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Jun 26, 2014, 09:10:07 PMPredators was a reboot in the same sense as x-men first class was. Its a reboot sequel.
Then First Class was a reboot prequel? D:

Will the new JK Rowling films "reboot prequels" too?

hfeldhaus

Don't know about Harry potter because I don't watch them but first class was definitely a reboot. Brought New blood into the franchise and reinvented it within the continuity.

GQSioux

Quote from: Spooky Baz on Jun 26, 2014, 10:36:04 AM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 26, 2014, 09:35:34 AM
Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 26, 2014, 09:31:31 AMOkay guys. Schwarzenegger, Glover, Brody... who's the next guy? Hemsworth?
How the hell should we know?

Why don't you just wait for an official cast announcement. Unless Shane Black's loitering around here somewhere...

Surely speculation and discussion is what a fan forum is for, no?

Once we know who's cast, discussion will descend into "what a great choice/what a shit choice/why didn't they consult me debate", which is infinitely less interesting.

Hemsworth seems like a solid choice to me. I'd like to see someone like Jason Statham in a supporting role maybe, issuing the odd cynical one-liner. Definitely no Ryan Reynolds-types being a sarky bastard on a constant basis - that'd get annoying real quick.

I'd actually love to see Tom Hardy as the lead.

I wouldn't mind seeing FEMALE PREDATORS either.  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed