Shane Black To Write and Direct Predator Reboot!

Started by 85, Jun 24, 2014, 07:34:28 PM

Author
Shane Black To Write and Direct Predator Reboot! (Read 93,406 times)

Master

Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 25, 2014, 08:49:01 AM
Quote from: Master on Jun 25, 2014, 08:44:37 AM
You have got LA setting 90' style and an unknown killer rampaging through city. Oh and the script was written by Thomas brothers. I'd say it's high end predator film with bigger scale then P1, right there. But I can't blame you if you prefere Ps. Nobody's perfect.

I'll have to give it a rewatch...
Good idea. It's actually a creative way to make a sequel. It uses similar concept with with every other idea being changed to fit P2 and P2 only. It's not copy/paste homagefest of Ps.

worldpeace

i had recently posted about my interest in shane blacks involvement in a new predator film . it's my birthday too,. great news .

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Not sure how I feel about this.

On the plus side, SHANE F*CKING BLACK. With him writing and directing, it's sure to at least have something going for it. Based on his input at least I'll be going to see it. Hopefully his involvement might help it get the R rating it deserves, too, seeing as that's his pedigree (Iron Man 3 notwithstanding).

But I dunno if I like the idea of the film being a reboot. It's not like there's an overly invasive level of backstory that they need to wipe clean to make a new film work. It can quite easily be an unconnected sequel. I'd far prefer that.

As a slight aside - seriously, why do people keep claiming Predators was a reboot? It wasn't. It specifically mentions the events of the first film in dialogue. It was a sequel.

Lemonade

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 25, 2014, 09:07:25 AM
Not sure how I feel about this.

On the plus side, SHANE F*CKING BLACK. With him writing and directing, it's sure to at least have something going for it. Based on his input at least I'll be going to see it. Hopefully his involvement might help it get the R rating it deserves, too, seeing as that's his pedigree (Iron Man 3 notwithstanding).

But I dunno if I like the idea of the film being a reboot. It's not like there's an overly invasive level of backstory that they need to wipe clean to make a new film work. It can quite easily be an unconnected sequel. I'd far prefer that.

So basically a reboot anyway. Why are people saying shit like this? Who cares what they CALL it, it's probably still going to be an unconnected sequel. Reboot sounds cleaner than unconnected sequel though. Predators was a "reboot", but it's Predator 3.

Lol people are all acknowledging that the Predator movies are unconnected sequels, yet here comes another one that's also unconnected, yet they get their panties in a twist. Weird and odd and just very strange.

happypred

I don't give a f*ck if it's Shane Black. Don't re-boot a superb classic. You'll never top it. All we need is a good Predator 4.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 25, 2014, 09:10:58 AMSo basically a reboot anyway. Why are people saying shit like this? Who cares what they CALL it, it's probably still going to be an unconnected sequel. Reboot sounds cleaner than unconnected sequel though. Predators was a "reboot", but it's Predator 3.
Do you even know what a reboot is? A reboot totally overwrites all that came before it, rendering it null and void. Batman Begins/The Dark Knight was a reboot, because it negated the Joker story told previously in the 1989 film.

Not only did Predators not negate the events of the earlier films, it specifically acknowledged that the first movie happened. Ergo, it is not, in a million years, a reboot.

Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 25, 2014, 09:10:58 AMLol people are all acknowledging that the Predator movies are unconnected sequels, yet here comes another one that's also unconnected, yet they get their panties in a twist. Weird and odd and just very strange.
I'm complaining because it's a reboot, when I'd much rather just see another sequel, and there's literally no reason they couldn't do that. It's not like they've boxed themselves into a corner plot-wise.

worldpeace

i think shane knows what palms to grease and strings to pull for this to work. thank christ its not predators 2 or some cheaper hands involved .

Master

Predators was also called a reboot at the beginning of it's production! What we've got was sequel/spinoff that resembled original in far too many scenes. I don't think they'll make a total remake of 87 film now. It'll probably be just another unrelated sequel. I'm totaly fine with that.

Lemonade

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 25, 2014, 09:17:41 AM
Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 25, 2014, 09:10:58 AMSo basically a reboot anyway. Why are people saying shit like this? Who cares what they CALL it, it's probably still going to be an unconnected sequel. Reboot sounds cleaner than unconnected sequel though. Predators was a "reboot", but it's Predator 3.
Do you even know what a reboot is? A reboot totally overwrites all that came before it, rendering it null and void. Batman Begins/The Dark Knight was a reboot, because it negated the Joker story told previously in the 1989 film.

Not only did Predators not negate the events of the earlier films, it specifically acknowledged that the first movie happened. Ergo, it is not, in a million years, a reboot.

Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 25, 2014, 09:10:58 AMLol people are all acknowledging that the Predator movies are unconnected sequels, yet here comes another one that's also unconnected, yet they get their panties in a twist. Weird and odd and just very strange.
I'm complaining because it's a reboot, when I'd much rather just see another sequel, and there's literally no reason they couldn't do that. It's not like they've boxed themselves into a corner plot-wise.

Dude. If Shane says it's a complete reboot and that none of the other movies exist in this canon, just PRETEND IT DOES and PRETEND it's an unrelated sequel hahaha.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

The word reboot is thrown around too much these days and it could mean all manner of things. Star Trek was a reboot/remake in that it is using old characters but through completely new (and I did like how they did it, despite what I think of the films over all) stories and that both existing concurrently. Predators was a reboot in that it re-vitalized the franchise and used some tropes from the original.

I don't mind seeing another "reboot" in that respect but there's really no point in remaking Predator. I agree it's the AvP movies that are in dire need of a reboot. I'd rather them continue the story of Predators but the Predator series is so versatile with its stories that I'd love to see some past stories (WW2) or something in Iraq/Afghanistan.

I also don't mind Shane Black being involved. I've only really seen Iron Man 3 (which I did enjoy) and it's nice to have it back in the family. I do think it's about time Paul what's his face left though. 

Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 25, 2014, 08:38:03 AM
LOL. That movie that was directed by the A Nightmare on Elm Street 5 dude?! Nah. Its scope was not on T2's level.

You mean the guy who also went on to direct 24?

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 25, 2014, 09:28:53 AMDude. If Shane says it's a complete reboot and that none of the other movies exist in this canon, just PRETEND IT DOES and PRETEND it's an unrelated sequel hahaha.
I'm not saying I'll lose sleep over it. I'm just saying it pisses me off how Hollywood is rebooting/remaking everything these days, and 99% of them are crap. At least if it's a sequel I can take it on it's own terms, instead of directly comparing it with the original.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 25, 2014, 09:31:22 AMThe word reboot is thrown around too much these days and it could mean all manner of things.
What it actually means is "to discard all continuity in an established series in order to recreate its characters, timeline and backstory from the beginning." But nobody seems to know that.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 25, 2014, 09:31:22 AMI'd rather them continue the story of Predators but the Predator series is so versatile with its stories that I'd love to see some past stories (WW2) or something in Iraq/Afghanistan.
I still wanna see a Predator movie set in 'Nam, I think there's a lot to go on with something like that.

Master

f**k no to Vietnam. No jungle, I tired of jungle. Deserts, Mediterranean islands, volcanic islands or even hot summer in central Europe/USA but please no more jungle.

Lemonade

There will always be comparisons to the original, whether it's a remake, reboot, sequel, prequel, etc. I don't think the studio gives a shit how you digest and compare, just that you pay for a ticket.

worldpeace

if he hires legend studios and gets 100 million+ budget and proper casting then im confident i will enjoy this.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Master on Jun 25, 2014, 09:38:56 AMf**k no to Vietnam. No jungle, I tired of jungle. Deserts, Mediterranean islands, volcanic islands or even hot summer in central Europe/USA but please no more jungle.
I think the Predator just belongs in the jungle. The dense foliage compliments its active camouflage. I agree it felt forced in Predators, but with Vietnam you at least have a legitimate reason for things to take place in the jungle. Plus you also have war torn city settings you could use, such as Hue. I imagine you could make a great horror scene with a Predator in VC spider holes too. Not to mention Keyes actually says the Predators were in Vietnam in Predator 2.

Quote from: worldpeace on Jun 25, 2014, 09:41:31 AMif he hires legend studios and gets 100 million+ budget and proper casting then im confident i will enjoy this.
Predator was made for $15 million. Big budget in no way equals good movie.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed