Alien 3's (Assembly Cut) Extremely Dark Atmosphere

Started by LastSurvivor92, Feb 25, 2014, 06:55:12 AM

Author
Alien 3's (Assembly Cut) Extremely Dark Atmosphere (Read 19,520 times)

SiL

If you think there's nothing in the AC that could be cut, you're deluding yourself.

I prefer the AC to the TC. I'd rather a movie be too long than feel too short. But of the 20, 30 minutes of additional material you could easily cut at least five of it out. Doesn't sound like much, but you can drastically alter the pace and feel of a film with minimal runtime differences. Look at Alien -- all of a minute shorter all up, but because of additional scenes and what, exactly, was removed from the original, it feels notably faster than it did originally.

Alien³

Alien³

But what if some people don't want the film to be faster? What if they sometimes like a film to have a slower pace?

Spoiler
Because obviously Fox is desperately trying to re-edit A3 for us. ::)
[close]

SiL

It was an example. Slow pace is fine. Redundant or unnecessary material isn't, and the AC has it's fair share.

Alien³

If you think it's Redundant or unnecessary.

LastSurvivor92

LastSurvivor92

Yeah I have to agree with Alien³ on this one. You guys keep saying how redundant, slow and repetitive it is but there's no explanation as to "why" you feel its redundant and repetitive. Give us some reasons. Just because they add more scenes and runtime to a film doesn't mean its automatically redundant and repetitive. What scenes would you of cut out? Why not keep them in?

Local Trouble

Quote from: Alien³ on Mar 11, 2014, 11:27:11 AM
Quote from: SiL on Mar 11, 2014, 10:55:30 AM
A "refined" cut of A3 exists between the two existing versions.

In your opinion of course.

SiL speaks for me as well.

Gazz

Gazz

Oh there's definitely a better cut of Alien 3 between the two released versions. A friend of mine threw an edit together not too long ago. Even at 6 minutes shorter we still noticed a couple more scenes that could be chopped on the last run through.

SM

Quote from: Flight Officer Lambert on Mar 11, 2014, 05:21:52 PM
Yeah I have to agree with Alien³ on this one. You guys keep saying how redundant, slow and repetitive it is but there's no explanation as to "why" you feel its redundant and repetitive. Give us some reasons. Just because they add more scenes and runtime to a film doesn't mean its automatically redundant and repetitive. What scenes would you of cut out? Why not keep them in?

I've detailed redundant scenes.  I've asked you to refer to them.

Please try this first, then respond.

Quote from: Alien³ on Mar 11, 2014, 12:52:58 PM

It's not a matter of "think".  It's demonstrable simply from watching the film from any critical angle.  You simply don't mind that there's repetitive scenes in there.

Alien³

Quote from: SM on Mar 11, 2014, 08:10:00 PM
It's not a matter of "think".  It's demonstrable simply from watching the film from any critical angle. 

Any critical angle? Including watching what the cut has to offer and deciding to like it?

Quote from: SM on Mar 11, 2014, 08:10:00 PM
You simply don't mind that there's repetitive scenes in there.

No I don't, and I'm not the only one. Plus I don't consider them repetitive. It's all one package.

StrangeShape

I always prefer the longer cuts in everyone of my favorite movies. Once I see directors cut or extended edition or whatever it is, I never ever watch TC again. I just think that once you have a movie you love and know well, and really admire the story, the more of it the better, the more scenes, characters and events  for me the better, cause I spend more time in this great world. With Alien 3 its different for me. Even though I was always a giant fan of the film and its what got me into the franchise, with Alien 3 its not that theres more to it, but that scenes are actually replaced. I think the editing and opening of the TC is much better, works better by moving faster and showing the bodies along with their data.I think the dog is more creepy and demonic, maybe because I associate these kinds of dogs with movies like Omen. I think the bursting of the queen is better because it shows that Ripley stood no chance, even if she agreed to go with them to the operating table, etc etc. But I like AC very much, just think TC is better

Gazz

For me I much prefer the opening of the AC with Ripley's body washing ashore to be rescued by Clemens. Not only do I think it's a far more dramatic introduction to Clemens but I also think it offers a better view of Fiorina. However I take the dog buster sequence over the ox every day of the week. It's far more vicious, lively and cruelly biting than the rather limp alien birth in the AC and the character moments that come with the ox are pretty redundant. From there on in it's mostly about scene pruning. Love the Golic stuff though.

SiL

Quote from: Alien³ on Mar 11, 2014, 12:52:58 PM
If you apply the least bit of critical thinking.

Local Trouble

FWIW, I think the theatrical cut of Aliens is better than the special edition too.

SiL

So do I.

Elmazalman

Quote from: Gazz on Mar 11, 2014, 09:20:53 PM
For me I much prefer the opening of the AC with Ripley's body washing ashore to be rescued by Clemens. Not only do I think it's a far more dramatic introduction to Clemens but I also think it offers a better view of Fiorina. However I take the dog buster sequence over the ox every day of the week. It's far more vicious, lively and cruelly biting than the rather limp alien birth in the AC and the character moments that come with the ox are pretty redundant. From there on in it's mostly about scene pruning. Love the Golic stuff though.
Too bad they didn't use that low angle shot of Clemens on the beach,from the trailer.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed