Alien 3's (Assembly Cut) Extremely Dark Atmosphere

Started by LastSurvivor92, Feb 25, 2014, 06:55:12 AM

Author
Alien 3's (Assembly Cut) Extremely Dark Atmosphere (Read 19,207 times)

LastSurvivor92

LastSurvivor92

I've only heard this be mentioned a few times here but I'm gonna say it again. I'm talking simply about the 2003 Assembly Cut. This films atmosphere is top-notch. Its super dark and gritty and not only that but at times even scary. The assembly cut certainly fixes all those plot holes and inconsistencies and makes the film flow a hell of a lot better. The ONLY thing that I think made people look down on this film was the flow between Aliens action oriented atmosphere and Alien 3's more creepy and disdained down to earth feel. It was much more down beat and violent than Aliens atmosphere. Some of the performances are unforgettable like Charles S. Dutton's character Dillion who leads the prisoners with him and Ripley to their deaths. Charles Dance as Clemens the Chief Medical Officer who became a love interest for Ripley played extremely well. All to often I hear how a lot of people don't like Alien 3 because its "Too talky", dramatic, dark or depressing. A lot even think Alien 3 is boring but I find that Alien 3 is a very elaborate and well directed drama film that entertains if your willing to pay attention. This movie is very dark. And there's some scenes that are quite creepy. For me seeing Ripley adventure down into the "basement" to find the Alien was very creepy. The rustic walls with cascading water dripping over the rust. The walls and all the pipes bring back that atmosphere from the first film. That beautifully demonic soundtrack given by Elliot Golenthal was enough to create some pretty dark images in my head. The little noises Ripley hears echo from deep inside fury 161 really help that illustration of being alone and using your imagination to dream up the fear. David Fincher's inspiration was heavily influenced by the first film. I think if people started to see this as a horror film rather than a failed attempt at a sequel it wouldn't be so bad. Alien 3's atmosphere is so dark and so dense that many in my opinion seem to dislike it right off the bat. I really don't understand all the hate around this film. People give up on Alien 3 without even really giving it a chance.

Russ

I think the consensus is that you're right on all of the above points. From what I've seen on this forum, most would agree with you. It's a great movie (especially the 2003 cut).

The problem I think is that it wasn't the sequel that anyone wanted. For me, the "we'll get rid of Hicks and Newt in the first scene" just didn't fly. Look, there's all sorts of dramatic reasons why this had to happen for THIS movie -- but I feel that those characters had been so indelibly burned into the consciousness of the fan brigade, to treat them as such really grated.

There's a 50+ page thread on the forum that talks about where the facehugger came from as well - we can postulate all we like with the benefit of hindsight, but this was another "wtf" moment (for me, certainly). I remember sitting in the cinema really excited and coming out feeling really deflated.

Rewatching it on blu-ray and all that certainly gives you a chance to appreciate the film - its just a pity that the director didn't get involved with the commentary (I have to say that I never really enjoy SFX or actor commentaries, they're not my cup of tea) because I would have loved to heard his point of view.

I just thought - maybe it would have flown better if it was the sequel to Alien. Maybe we'd have bought the facehugger being in Ripley's life-raft because, at that time, we had no Queen, so that would have worked. I get that Fincher didn't want to do what Cameron had done (in the same way that Cameron doesn't want to "spend his career cleaning up after Ridley Scott") but I think the whole thing certainly disappointed me. Even when I watched it a couple of weeks ago!

However, it can also be argued that it was, in a way, the perfect ending - "you've been in my life for so long now, I don't remember anything else" - you know, from that perspective, Ripley's story had a beginning, middle and end - its almost operatic in its tragedy.

Mr. Clemens

It hurt to see Hicks and Newt get killed, certainly, but I think at that point the series was in danger of becoming about 'heroes killing aliens'. And it's certainly hard (for me, at least) to imagine a good film starring the 'Space Family Ripley'.

Alien 3 brought the horror back, and horror ain't pretty. Plus, I always love a tragically sweet ending. Having Ripley, Hicks and Newt defeat the big, bad, final, 'King' alien and all get medals at the end a la Star Wars would have been really nauseating.  :D

Russ

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Feb 25, 2014, 02:23:53 PM
It hurt to see Hicks and Newt get killed, certainly, but I think at that point the series was in danger of becoming about 'heroes killing aliens'. And it's certainly hard (for me, at least) to imagine a good film starring the 'Space Family Ripley'.

Alien 3 brought the horror back, and horror ain't pretty. Plus, I always love a tragically sweet ending. Having Ripley, Hicks and Newt defeat the big, bad, final, 'King' alien and all get medals at the end a la Star Wars would have been really nauseating.  :D

It would have been, sure. But they didn't have to do that - something like the comic, set a few years later with Hicks washed up etc etc... there's loads of avenues they could (and perhaps should) have gone down. I think many people wanted more Colonial Marines and so forth.

But, on the other hand - this was Ripley's arc, so in that respect AL III EN worked well. But they still could have finished her arc in ways that didn't cut off the fan's noses to spite their faces.

However, they didn't.

But to the original point, I think that many really do appreciate the 2003 cut - it really is a fine film - as I say, the Ripley story is pretty tragic - the alien literally takes everything away from her - essentially, it killed her on the Nostromo, she just didn't know it yet.

I wonder how long she was on Gateway before Gorman and Burke turned up?

Valaquen

A 'Space Family Ripley' script was never written before the characters were killed off. It was never a danger - perhaps unless Cameron made it, but he was adamant that he wouldn't touch another Alien sequel at the time. I don't know why some fans think something dreadful was averted.

Alien³

Y'all know what I think about Alien 3 AC.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Valaquen on Feb 25, 2014, 03:14:34 PM
I don't know why some fans think something dreadful was averted.
Desperate attempts at justifying the direction the film took.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Valaquen on Feb 25, 2014, 03:14:34 PM
A 'Space Family Ripley' script was never written before the characters were killed off. It was never a danger - perhaps unless Cameron made it, but he was adamant that he wouldn't touch another Alien sequel at the time. I don't know why some fans think something dreadful was averted.

Oh no, I never said that I did. I'm just saying that I've heard a lot of fans say they would have liked that film (like the DH comics), and I just wanted to say that I wouldn't have.

Valaquen

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Feb 25, 2014, 05:39:50 PM
Oh no, I never said that I did. I'm just saying that I've heard a lot of fans say they would have liked that film (like the DH comics), and I just wanted to say that I wouldn't have.
Ah, fair enough.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Alien³ on Feb 25, 2014, 03:33:42 PM
Y'all know what I think about Alien 3 AC.

I don't.  Tell me.

Darwinsgirl

I recall an interview with Michael Biehn on one of the dvd extra's he mentions how "he" thought or was hopefull that it could have been possible for the trio to continue in the ALIEN films. I don't recall if it was on the A3 extra's or on another ALIEN documentary Saga...Quadrilogy??? 

Elmazalman

Quote from: winddownandsmoke92 on Feb 25, 2014, 06:55:12 AM
And there's some scenes that are quite creepy. For me seeing Ripley adventure down into the "basement" to find the Alien was very creepy. The rustic walls with cascading water dripping over the rust. The walls and all the pipes bring back that atmosphere from the first film.
Too bad the AC didn't follow through with the rest of that scene.

SM

QuoteThe assembly cut certainly fixes all those plot holes and inconsistencies and makes the film flow a hell of a lot better.

Which plot holes and inconsistencies did it fix?

And scenes like the one where they argue and then run off to the furnace, and the constant 'Will they/ won't they' about the company killing the Alien don't help the flow at all.

Valaquen

Quote from: SM on Feb 25, 2014, 09:32:36 PM
QuoteThe assembly cut certainly fixes all those plot holes and inconsistencies and makes the film flow a hell of a lot better.

Which plot holes and inconsistencies did it fix?
It even adds a couple of new ones.

SM

Quite.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed