DC Cinematic Universe

Started by Xenokiller, Jun 14, 2013, 12:43:39 AM

Author
DC Cinematic Universe (Read 121,467 times)

genocyber

genocyber

I guess Sigorny Weaver wasn't pretty enough to become a feminist icon like Gal Gadot, huh.

PierreVW

PierreVW

Quote from: genocyber on Dec 03, 2017, 10:04:41 PM
I guess Sigorny Weaver wasn't pretty enough to become a feminist icon like Gal Gadot, huh.

I agree. It's sad that a mediocre movie like Wonder Woman could win an Oscar. Oscars are too political these days.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

You DO know that Weaver was nominated for Aliens, don't you?

Rudiger

Rudiger

WW might get nominated. Gal Gadot ain't gonna get nominated for her acting, that's for sure.

D88M

D88M

WW is a generic, souless movie, in the (bad) vein of the mcu movies, is forgettable, and is badly edited. The direction is just ok, is like what Snyder does, but without power

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: D88M on Dec 04, 2017, 12:47:50 AM
WW is a generic, souless movie, in the (bad) vein of the mcu movies, is forgettable, and is badly edited. The direction is just ok, is like what Snyder does, but without power
No.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Criticisms of the DCEU aside, it occurred to me that Superman should take the Kryptonian ship away and stow it in the north pole to get it out of Metropolis where it's been nothing but trouble.  Maybe Cyborg could even make a cameo and help him restore AI Jor-El so he can finally have a proper Fortress of Solitude.

Give us some fleshing out of the backstory about the codex and the skull fragment that contained it being related to Brainiac somehow and you've got the makings of a decent MoS2.  ;D

PierreVW

PierreVW

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 04, 2017, 05:42:00 PM
Criticisms of the DCEU aside, it occurred to me that Superman should take the Kryptonian ship away and stow it in the north pole to get it out of Metropolis where it's been nothing but trouble.  Maybe Cyborg could even make a cameo and help him restore AI Jor-El so he can finally have a proper Fortress of Solitude.

Give us some fleshing out of the backstory about the codex and the skull fragment that contained it being related to Brainiac somehow and you've got the makings of a decent MoS2.  ;D

I hope we get MoS2. Justice League is a huge flop and WB could reset everything. Poor Henry Cavill because he was a great Superman. BYE BYE Henry Cavill, ben affleck, etc....

bb-15

bb-15

WW is a generic, souless movie, in the (bad) vein of the mcu movies, is forgettable, and is badly edited.

I'll agree this much. WW is the closest to the MCU that the DCEU has in terms of story formula.
And so it's no surprise that WW is the biggest financial / critical success of the DC franchise since the MCU way is dominant right now.
Personally, I found WW mediocre because of the repetition of standard tropes/cliches, especially with the Amazons and in the fight with Ares. But that's just me and I realize my view is in the minority.

Quote from: PierreVW on Dec 04, 2017, 08:55:46 PMI hope we get MoS2.

The dark "MOS" (the story co-written by Nolan) is a main reason why the DCEU is in so much trouble.
Compare MOS with the films it rebooted, 1978 "Superman" and 1980 "Superman II".
The 1978/80 movies have much clearer, consistent stories and Superman's character has a closer resemblance to the comics/animated series.
Warners should be very careful in doing another Superman film. 

Quote from: PierreVW on Dec 04, 2017, 08:55:46 PMJustice League is a huge flop and WB could reset everything.
How much $ "Justice League" will lose compared with "Valerian" and "Blade Runner: 2049" is yet to be determined.
One thing "JL" will do is have box office at 2 x its production budget (but marketing costs will result in a loss).

Will WB reset everything? It depends. WW will continue. How "Aquaman' does will determine the future of other spin off films.
But the main Justice League characters (Superman/Batman) will get a change due to "JL" under performing.
This will not be an easy thing for WB to do.
- Geoff Johns (President of DC Comics) was the co-manager of the DC Extended Universe/DC Films. He was a producer on "Justice League" and Johns definitely had an influence on "JL".
Johns is a major player in DC. He wrote the "Flashpoint" comics for gosh sakes.
If Johns with Snyder and Whedon can't make Superman/Batman financially successful, it's uncertain who can (since Nolan isn't going to direct for DC again).   

* To me the mass audience has mostly moved into to the MCU camp with its silliness. Comic book films are more like Transformers and Fast and Furious and DC doesn't fit will with that style. 

;)

PierreVW

PierreVW

Quote from: bb-15 on Dec 10, 2017, 04:32:09 PM
WW is a generic, souless movie, in the (bad) vein of the mcu movies, is forgettable, and is badly edited.

I'll agree this much. WW is the closest to the MCU that the DCEU has in terms of story formula.
And so it's no surprise that WW is the biggest financial / critical success of the DC franchise since the MCU way is dominant right now.
Personally, I found WW mediocre because of the repetition of standard tropes/cliches, especially with the Amazons and in the fight with Ares. But that's just me and I realize my view is in the minority.

Quote from: PierreVW on Dec 04, 2017, 08:55:46 PMI hope we get MoS2.

The dark "MOS" (the story co-written by Nolan) is a main reason why the DCEU is in so much trouble.
Compare MOS with the films it rebooted, 1978 "Superman" and 1980 "Superman II".
The 1978/80 movies have much clearer, consistent stories and Superman's character has a closer resemblance to the comics/animated series.
Warners should be very careful in doing another Superman film. 

Quote from: PierreVW on Dec 04, 2017, 08:55:46 PMJustice League is a huge flop and WB could reset everything.
How much $ "Justice League" will lose compared with "Valerian" and "Blade Runner: 2049" is yet to be determined.
One thing "JL" will do is have box office at 2 x its production budget (but marketing costs will result in a loss).

Will WB reset everything? It depends. WW will continue. How "Aquaman' does will determine the future of other spin off films.
But the main Justice League characters (Superman/Batman) will get a change due to "JL" under performing.
This will not be an easy thing for WB to do.
- Geoff Johns (President of DC Comics) was the co-manager of the DC Extended Universe/DC Films. He was a producer on "Justice League" and Johns definitely had an influence on "JL".
Johns is a major player in DC. He wrote the "Flashpoint" comics for gosh sakes.
If Johns with Snyder and Whedon can't make Superman/Batman financially successful, it's uncertain who can (since Nolan isn't going to direct for DC again).   

* To me the mass audience has mostly moved into to the MCU camp with its silliness. Comic book films are more like Transformers and Fast and Furious and DC doesn't fit will with that style. 

;)

It's official ben affleck is leaving. Jake Gyllenhaal or Jon Hamm could be the new Batman.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

If he is leaving. They should involve a Lazarus Pit somehow

Russ

Russ

I've not seen anything official, but it looks like it's heading in that direction. It seems as though Ben Affleck will be Batman in Flashpoint which is handy for rewriting history ... or recasting history in this case  :laugh:

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

As much as I think a bulked up Jon Hamm would make an even better Batman than Affleck, I don't see the logic of replacing an aging Affleck with an even older Hamm.  That said, Tom Cruise is 55 and still doing action movies so I guess anything is possible.

Maybe Hamm decided that life after Mad Men isn't as glamorous as he thought it would be.  I was under the impression that he had nothing but contempt for superhero roles.

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Russ on Dec 11, 2017, 01:22:34 PM
I've not seen anything official, but it looks like it's heading in that direction. It seems as though Ben Affleck will be Batman in Flashpoint which is handy for rewriting history ... or recasting history in this case  :laugh:

If a "Flashpoint" film is done, then after that, WB/DC can make casting adjustments. After all it's an alternate reality idea created by time travel.
Viewers/readers of The Flash TV series/the animated JL series/the comics know what the "Flashpoint" basic storyline is about.

This would be a way for Afleck to leave the franchise.
However, the main issue for WB is what to do with DC.
There were two Green Lantern sequels planned a few years ago that were cancelled because of the performance of the "Green Lantern" film.

- Getting one of these very expensive movies made depends on them making money.
The Disney Marvel way is dominant. Other than Wonder Woman, can new DC films be financially successful?
We'll see what happens.

;) 

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I'm worried about the DCEU's continuing future depending on the success or failure of Aquaman.  It could be huge for all we know, but to me it's like pinning the future of the MCU on Ant-Man.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed