ACM & Canon (Read 140,589 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 05, 2011, 07:09:54 PM
Sure thing...

Thanks. Interesting stuff.

predxeno

predxeno

Since I consider all official sources for the AVP franchise as canon (Movies and EU), I'll consider this game canon as well, but I bet most people here already knew how I'd view this game in regards to continuity. ;)

Xenomrph

Chris!(($$))!

Chris!(($$))!

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 06, 2011, 04:22:27 PM
QuoteThe true Alien canon will forever and always be the original four movies
You're welcome to believe that, that's what "personal canon" is for. :)

More like "Standard Canon" He didn't say that was his personal idea of canon.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Since FOX doesn't truly care I'd say, in a way, that there is no canon here whatsoever. They made it clear that anything goes as long as they cash in the moolah. Everything very often equals nothing when it comes to character and essence.

What we have reverted to here are two polar-opposite camps surrounded by various types of strays: people who only consider the original four movies as canon and people who embrace basically everything Alien related as canon. These two camps don't mix well (just like EU doesn't mix well with the movies if you ask me). Whatever... Doesn't matter since I guess the bastards at FOX have the last word anyways.

My last words are: God bless the movies (especially the first three). Amazing sci-fi masterpieces.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Chris!(($$))! on Sep 06, 2011, 10:17:49 PM

More like "Standard Canon" He didn't say that was his personal idea of canon.
But it is his personal canon. It's certainly not the official definition of what is canon and what isn't. It's what he chooses to personally believe is canon. By definition, that is personal canon. :P

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Sep 06, 2011, 10:22:15 PM
Since FOX doesn't truly care I'd say, in a way, that there is no canon here whatsoever. They made it clear that anything goes as long as they cash in the moolah. Everything very often equals nothing when it comes to character and essence.
Alternately, I think they *do* care, even if it's not to the standards you personally think they should. As demonstrated in the quotes I provided, they have a licensing department and everything has to get cleared by them before it gets released to the public. They apparently have a continuity "bible", but licensees aren't allowed to see it for whatever reason. Sometimes submissions get rejected, or have changes suggested by FOX. If they "didn't truly care" I don't think they'd bother with any of that.

I mean, movie-only people will say or do pretty much anything in order to justify their opinion of what is canon and what isn't.
But at the end of the day... who cares? You can keep trying to pigeon-hole or discount what FOX is saying or whatever, but what difference does it make? No one is *forcing* you to accept the EU on any level. If you just want to accept the movies (or any particular movies -- I know there's at least one user on the forum who personally doesn't accept anything past 'Alien'), by all means, do so. :)

We've even got the forums segregated for your convenience - the movies forums aren't meant for EU stuff and are movies-only, and the EU-centric forums (games, comics, whatever) obviously allow the EU.

robbritton

robbritton

Here's a thing, we're unlikely to have anything new set immediately post-Alien 3 in the near future, so any explanations the game gives are unlikely to be contradicted by any other source. If anyone wants them to be part of some spurious notion of 'canon', then I can't imagine there'll be much to stop them.

I'm going to treat it as part of that world to hear the story Gearbox have to tell. Beyond that, well... deep down, does it actually matter? Your own interpretation should be enough, surely? Who wants fiction to come with instruction manuals?

Chris!(($$))!

Chris!(($$))!

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Sep 06, 2011, 10:22:15 PM
My last words are: God bless the movies (especially the first three). Amazing sci-fi masterpieces.

Amen... Unfortunately if He blesses those three He must also bless A:R?  :-X

Ash 937

Ash 937

I've decided that I'm going to count Aliens Infestation as canon but I'm going to skip over A:CM as credible source of the actual Aliens mythology.  That's just the way I feel about it.  Nintendo makes better systems imo and that's the only justification I need.   

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Ash 937 on Sep 17, 2011, 06:25:48 AM
I've decided that I'm going to count Aliens Infestation as canon but I'm going to skip over A:CM as credible source of the actual Aliens mythology.  That's just the way I feel about it.  Nintendo makes better systems imo and that's the only justification I need.   
You realize that those two games are companion stories that both show roughly the same events, right? Like, characters from one are going to show up in the other, and they'll reference events from each other.

I mean I'm not saying you can't pick one and ignore the other, it just seems a little weird in this instance since they were made as companions for each other from the get-go, and Gearbox and WayForward have been collaborating so they can make sure their games tie together.

Chris!(($$))!

Chris!(($$))!

You realize he is being sarcastic right? It would like saying I only think the Blue Ray version of ALIENS is canon but not the Quadrilogy version.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Sarcasm is hard to detect on the Internet I guess.

ikarop

ikarop

I don't think Ash 937 is being sarcastic. He seems genuinely excited about Infestation.

Ash 937

Ash 937

Quote from: ikarop on Sep 18, 2011, 12:11:41 AM
I don't think Ash 937 is being sarcastic. He seems genuinely excited about Infestation.

YES!  I am totally excited about Infestation (I already pre-ordered the game).  And in my previous post, I was being slightly sarcastic...
::)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I didn't even know you could pre-order DS games. I might have to look into that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed