No
77 (51.3%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Author
ACM & Canon (Read 140,328 times)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Sep 04, 2011, 02:24:42 PM
Most of the time FOX people talk out of their asses when it comes to canon since they most of the time don't care whether the different media, stories and continuities conflict and clash with each other.
This isn't entirely accurate, but that's neither here nor there and doesn't have a lot of bearing on the topic at hand anyway.

Are they as vigilant with "canon" as, say, Lucasfilm? No, but that's okay.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Ash 937 on Sep 04, 2011, 04:59:45 PM
Yeah, I don't think FOX has traditionally given too much thought into the integrity of the Alien series.  It's been pimped out shamelessly in comics and film (AvP series).

In the case of A:CM, I think there is a small base of dedicated fans of the original series who fortunately fell into this project with a lot of resources to develop the game into something authentic.  To be honest, I think that FOX still doesn't care about that but they do recognize the potential to make some money out of company like GBX who has a pretty solid reputation for making above-average games.

Regardless of all of this, A:CM will still be just another game that uses the franchise.  It won't be regarded as canon by me at all.  That's just the way I look at it.

Pretty much sums it up.

dallevalle

dallevalle

okay if its canon then i hope somehow hudson survived XD .. an got away :D

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 04, 2011, 05:25:04 AM
Quote from: Ash 937 on Sep 04, 2011, 01:24:14 AM
A:CM will not be canon.  What is considered canon is exclusive to the films only.  Otherwise, we would have to consider all the literature, comics, and other video games that already exist for the franchise and that would just be huge mess.  All Alien-related things that are sold commercially need to be licensed from FOX too, not just A:CM, so the fact that this game was given "approval" by FOX doesn't really mean anything significant at all.
This isn't entirely accurate - FOX actually does consider the EU stuff to be canon and have done so for years. I've got a whole bunch of quotes and citations for it.

The fans can obviously still decide what they consider canon for themselves, though.

Can you provide links and evidence? So far, this is the only time I've really heard them go to say any traditional EU stuff is canon.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 05, 2011, 06:55:24 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 04, 2011, 05:25:04 AM
Quote from: Ash 937 on Sep 04, 2011, 01:24:14 AM
A:CM will not be canon.  What is considered canon is exclusive to the films only.  Otherwise, we would have to consider all the literature, comics, and other video games that already exist for the franchise and that would just be huge mess.  All Alien-related things that are sold commercially need to be licensed from FOX too, not just A:CM, so the fact that this game was given "approval" by FOX doesn't really mean anything significant at all.
This isn't entirely accurate - FOX actually does consider the EU stuff to be canon and have done so for years. I've got a whole bunch of quotes and citations for it.

The fans can obviously still decide what they consider canon for themselves, though.

Can you provide links and evidence? So far, this is the only time I've really heard them go to say any traditional EU stuff is canon.
Sure thing.

1. Once in one of the forewards to the 'Aliens vs Predator' comic series trade paperbacks, FOX refers to the Alien, Predator, and AvP films, comics, and novels as "part of the same universe". (1992)

2. In the lettercol for 'AvP: War' #4, Bob Cooper (one of the editors at Dark Horse) says:

"...rest assured that no one would like to expand the scope of our Aliens and Predator stories more than I, but we're constrained to a certain extent with maintaining continuity not only with past Aliens and Predator movies, but with yet-to-exist movies as well. Fox wouldn't necessarily want us to spill the beans about too many hitherto unknown Aliens or Predator secrets before it has a chance to in an upcoming movie. But don't worry... sooner or later, in either our comics or FOX's movies, you're going to find out everything you always wanted to know about these beasties!" (1995)

Important part is in bold.

3. In an interview regarding the game 'AvP: Extinction' (for XBox and PS2), FOX said that it regarded the game as "canon". (2003)

4. On the supplemental disc for the Alien Quadrilogy DVD set, in the cover gallery for the Aliens comics, it says:

"Dark Horse Comics started publishing Aliens comic books in 1988. All of the stories take place after the events of the second film [Xeno note - this isn't entirely accurate, but we all knew that already] and explore the rich universe visualized in the movies. The comics represent an amazing opportunity to go beyond the events in the Aliens movies and explore dozens of new stories featuring one of the most chilling species to grace the science fiction genre!

Following are cover images showcasing some of the amazing talents involved in the creation of this smash comic book series."
(2003)

5. Also in the supplemental disc, FOX says:

"Dark Horse is going back through each of its past Aliens graphic novels and revising images and text to bring the entire story into a single line of continuity with the motion pictures and the wildly popular Bantam novels". (2003)

6. From author Diane Carey, on the topic of licensed properties:

QuoteAuthors cannot arbitrarily enhance or alter these owned properties. Each book must be approved by the owner or licensor before it can be published, and therefore becomes a kind of "canon."
(August 8, 2007)

7. From Dark Horse Press editors Rob Simpson and Victoria Blake, on the topic of editing the novels:

QuoteThe synopsis goes to Fox to make sure everything is copasetic with the rules of the licensed universe, and then, if it's approved, it goes back to the writer. Contract signed, book written, book delivered [...] Those are the kinds of things we look out for, and that Fox looks out for—the rules of the universe, but also the implications of the writing.
(June 12, 2007)

8. Email from Mike Kennedy, writer at Dark Horse:

QuoteYeah, Fox tries to make sure all of the comics and novels (and upcoming video games) fit into an approved cannon and timeline.  They don't provide that timeline or restriction guide up front -- we usually have to do our own research based on pre-existing info available on the web and elsewhere -- but they do review and approve all proposals internally.  If something in the proposal doesn't fit the cannon, or is based on some innacurate fan-fiction claiming to be official, then they'll flag it as something that needs fixing.  They're not as strict as, say, Lucasfilm is with Star Wars, but then again they don't have as many bizarre, contradictory historical threads going on at once.
(10/18/08)

9. Email from Spencer at Dark Horse Comics (dhcomics@darkhorse.com):

"We don't keep a continuity book or "bible" for those properties as we do not own them. When we have an idea for those properties, we pitch the ideas to FOX and they decide whether we can write those stories and whether they fit into the "timeline" of their properties. We have no say in those matters." (12/03/08)

NUB DESTROYER

NUB DESTROYER

Good stuff. This list of citations should be on Wikia or somewhere possibly more accessible to search engine users.

I liked the last few citations the most as it shows Fox cares more about its IP's canon than I initially thought. The other citations you can argue that they're doing it as a marketing tool or other such ploys.

Quote from: dallevalle on Sep 05, 2011, 05:55:05 PM
okay if its canon then i hope somehow hudson survived XD .. an got away :D
You mean like a Noland type deal where all this time Hudson has taken shelter in the Derelict. Haha

Ash 937

Ash 937

The Dark Horse comic series followed the adventures of Newt and Hicks years after the events of Aliens.  Then Alien3 came out and killed them off immediately.  Dark Horse had to make an amendment to their re-releases of their series and change the names of Newt and Hicks to keep up with consistency of Alien3.  To me, that sort of contradiction not only shows negligence but also a complete disregard to the entire canon.

I'm not saying FOX doesn't care at all, but Xenomorph's examples above might lead someone to believe that FOX actually cares more than reality has shown us.

Chris!(($$))!

Chris!(($$))!

If Hudson is alive in anything other than flashbacks or old video feeds it may be a game breaker... for the story at least.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Ash 937 on Sep 05, 2011, 08:43:36 PM
The Dark Horse comic series followed the adventures of Newt and Hicks years after the events of Aliens.  Then Alien3 came out and killed them off immediately.  Dark Horse had to make an amendment to their re-releases of their series and change the names of Newt and Hicks to keep up with consistency of Alien3.  To me, that sort of contradiction not only shows negligence but also a complete disregard to the entire canon.
Alternately, it might be that FOX cares, but tends to care about the movies more. That's not an uncommon path to take - Star Wars does it too. Star Wars EU is canon, but the movies still "outrank" it.
Not to mention, the quotes I posted from the quadrilogy DVD (not sure if they're repeated on the blu-ray set, I haven't checked) cover that specific Newt/Hicks example.

Quote from: prometheUSA on Sep 05, 2011, 07:32:16 PM
I liked the last few citations the most as it shows Fox cares more about its IP's canon than I initially thought. The other citations you can argue that they're doing it as a marketing tool or other such ploys.
Marketing ploy or not, the fact remains that they care and consider it canon. :P

NUB DESTROYER

NUB DESTROYER

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 05, 2011, 08:51:04 PMStar Wars EU is canon, but the movies still "outrank" it.
As a Star Wars expert, this is both true and untrue. Haha. Even George Lucas in various interviews contradicts himself as to the definition of how EU plays a part in SW canon.  Basically, it's all a mess. But one thing unquestionable is that George Lucas has respected many EU creations and used them in the  prequels and special edition versions of the original trilogy.

Quote from: Ash 937 on Sep 05, 2011, 08:43:36 PM
The Dark Horse comic series followed the adventures of Newt and Hicks years after the events of Aliens.  Then Alien3 came out and killed them off immediately. ..........
I'm not saying FOX doesn't care at all, but Xenomorph's examples above might lead someone to believe that FOX actually cares more than reality has shown us.

The story of Alien3 was just a big mess in so many ways -- Sulaco Egg, inconsistencies of dates, Newt aging but Ripley not, director troubles. The production of Alien3 was largely about the studio not caring about the creative process of the movie at all, let alone the EU.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: prometheUSA on Sep 05, 2011, 10:43:15 PM
As a Star Wars expert, this is both true and untrue. Haha. Even George Lucas in various interviews contradicts himself as to the definition of how EU plays a part in SW canon.  Basically, it's all a mess. But one thing unquestionable is that George Lucas has respected many EU creations and used them in the  prequels and special edition versions of the original trilogy.
The Star Wars "canon" guidelines I use are these, the shorthand version is that the EU is canon (and LFL has a full-on "continuity department" headed by Leland Chee), but at the end of the day Lucas can do what he wants and if stuff gets contradicted, so be it.

Chris!(($$))!

Chris!(($$))!

Quote from: prometheUSA on Sep 05, 2011, 10:43:15 PMNewt aging but Ripley not

Clemens hasn't seen a child in God knows how long and I believe he is the one that incorrectly states her age so that can be explained in that plausible way.

NUB DESTROYER

NUB DESTROYER

Quote from: Chris!(($$))! on Sep 06, 2011, 04:22:57 AM
Clemens hasn't seen a child in God knows how long and I believe he is the one that incorrectly states her age so that can be explained in that plausible way.
I'm not going to bore you or myself with facts and details, but you know that this theory can be refuted.

I'm going to wait for ACM to come up with something that possibly explain this and many other things. If they don't then oh well, I guess

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Obviously the words continuity, quality and contradictions don't mean jack crud to FOX when it comes to compiling and wrapping up the so called Alien canon (which seems like it has been gang raped and turned into the Predator franchise's and AVP franchise's little jailbait bitch). I don't understand why FOX won't stop battering and hollowing out, and most of all cheapening and cheeziefying, the original Alien franchise the way they do... The obvious answer is money/revenue, but still. Really hurts in my Alien geekdom-ridden soul to see all the crap they try to attach to the Alien universe presented in the movies.

Whatever. To hell with FOX. The true Alien canon will forever and always be the original four movies :P

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

QuoteThe true Alien canon will forever and always be the original four movies
You're welcome to believe that, that's what "personal canon" is for. :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed