Alien: Resurrection
41 (3.6%)
Prometheus
8 (0.7%)
Alien: Covenant
7 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 1054

Author
Favourite Alien Movie? (Read 626,428 times)

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: StrangeShape on May 03, 2013, 02:50:53 AM
I wonder if it was a deliberate nod? The kid on the tricycle alone  wouldnt suggest it, but coupled with other nods to Kubrick such as using Gayane's Adagio for space shots of floating spaceship and the use of Lovejoy, it may be a possibility
Gayane's Adagio is probably just another of Horner's little plagiarisms he works into many of his scores.

SM

SM

With Aliens he mostly plagiarised himself.  Mostly.

SiL

SiL

The only thing I'd add is the first half of the Hadley's Hope stuff, before the Jordans find the derelict, if only to gap "They're okay" and "We've lost contact". The derelict stuff can stay on the cutting room floor.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Acting in that scene is also atrocious, though.

SiL

SiL

I really don't see a problem with it in that scene. Given that the dialogue's exclusively expository and it's their only scene, it's not like they had much to work with.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: SM on May 03, 2013, 03:02:52 AM
With Aliens he mostly plagiarised himself.  Mostly.

A lot of Horner's score sounds same around that time period. His score for Krull has a lot of similar beats that remind me of Aliens.

Off Topic Question:
Also, didn't he get fired and then rehired during the scoring session of Aliens? Why was that?

SM

SM

I know Horner butted heads with Cameron and Hurd (Horner said at one point that he couldn't do it in the time allowed, and Hurd threatened to get someone who could, and Horner said 'Please do').  I don't think he was ever fired though.

You can trace pretty much every cue in Aliens back to Star Trek 2, Star Trek 3, and Battle Beyond The Stars.  The stuff that doesn't reference Alien or 2001 that is.

Haven't listened to Krull.  Must check it out.

NotSafeZone

NotSafeZone

My favorite would have to be Aliens. Back when I first saw it as a kid, I thought it was the most awesome thing in the world. And while of course that position would later be taken by another movie, Aliens would still remain my favorite of the series, with Alien following closely behind.

Rankles75

Rankles75

Quote from: PredalienXenomorph on Feb 27, 2013, 11:16:17 PM
Since Ripley nor the Aliens were involved. It did not answer the question of whether or not the Alien was created by the Engineers or discovered. It did not reference how WY found out about the Alien, or what engineer was doing on Lv-426. How can it be a prequel if it is unrelated to the original movie? Prometheus is just a Engineer spinoff.

Didn't answer many questions tbh, not least why the Engineers in Prometheus were clearly significantly shorter than the one Kane and co found in Alien. There's about 20-30 others but I'm sure they've all long since been debated to death...

Favourite Alien films?

1. Aliens
2. Alien

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: SM on May 17, 2013, 03:24:45 AM
I know Horner butted heads with Cameron and Hurd (Horner said at one point that he couldn't do it in the time allowed, and Hurd threatened to get someone who could, and Horner said 'Please do').  I don't think he was ever fired though.

You can trace pretty much every cue in Aliens back to Star Trek 2, Star Trek 3, and Battle Beyond The Stars.  The stuff that doesn't reference Alien or 2001 that is.

Haven't listened to Krull.  Must check it out.

I'm assuming that when she said that to him she was expecting him to say "oh, no! please!" and when he said "please do" she probably checked herself.

People forget that Cameron and Hurd were nobodies in 1986, even with The Terminator done. Them threatening to fire someone would've been like Scott Derrickson threatening to fire someone now. I'd probably say "see ya."

viendammage

viendammage

Love Aliens, saw it on CBS when I was 9 or 10 I think.  Picked up the Director's Cut on VHS then when that Quadrilogy set came out, phew!  I love Aliens so much I didn't even sit down to really watch Alien until Prometheus was coming out so I could prep.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

Favorite Theatrical version: Alien
Favorite Director's Cut/Extended version: Alien (WHY did they ever cut the cocoon scene?!?)
Personal overall favorite: ALIEN 3 Assembly Cut

The dark, hopeless, defenseless atmosphere of Alien3 AC is simply great. The extended scenes and ox alien make so much more sense and completely change the movie from a sure D- to A or A+. Sure, Aliens had firepower and action (which is always good), but I prefer a more stark and frightening atmosphere for the series. Considering Fincher had SO many problems, it is a complete success he even stayed on to finish it. As for Alien Rez, well, read my signature line.

Mrcreosote

Mrcreosote

I voted alien 3 as it was the only one I saw in a cinema, and the soundtrack was good :D

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

Goldenthal's music in that film is to die for. Beautiful and haunting material.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: TheMonolith on Jun 21, 2013, 07:05:43 PM
Goldenthal's music in that film is to die for.

Ripley thought so, too.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed