Alien: Resurrection
41 (3.6%)
Prometheus
8 (0.7%)
Alien: Covenant
7 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 1054

Author
Favourite Alien Movie? (Read 618,313 times)

PredalienXenomorph

PredalienXenomorph

Quote from: Alien³ on Feb 27, 2013, 04:50:31 PM
Quote from: PredalienXenomorph on Feb 27, 2013, 11:57:43 AM
Quote from: Gash on Feb 26, 2013, 09:09:12 PM
Yes, it's an alien movie.
Then where are the godamn Aliens??!!

You're 10 months late.

It's an alien film which features new aliens. ;)

Ah yes, the "Aliens".... except they are not the right kind of Aliens. I just see no reason to include Prometheus apart of the core series as I do the Aliens vs Predator films. This is because the story seems almost completely unrelated to Alien series, apart from the engineers. So that kinda makes this movie a spin-off in my eyes, a spin-off set in a completly different timeline/universe then the Alien movies.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

It is most definitely a spin-off, but the fact that it doesn't have the traditional Alien in it doesn't put it in an entirely separate timeline/universe (unless you simply choose to ignore it, which is just a matter of preference). It takes place ~30 years before the events of Alien, regardless of the fact that it doesn't actually feature the Alien.

PredalienXenomorph

PredalienXenomorph

So that means the humans in Alien and the Space Jockey frozen to the chair are technically members of the same spieces. I bet they didn't see that coming in 1979.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Yup, that's Ridley's intention.

Alien³

Alien³

Instead of finding a dead alien, the crew of the Nostromo discovered a dead god.

That's scary in my books.

Mus

Mus

It's not even a god, it's a human. That's f**king M. Night Shyalamamala level shit.

Gash

Gash

I think it's still supposed to be a god, though not the one Shaw was hoping for. I'm hoping the sequel will show them cultured (though maybe silent) but brutal. That conveys an alienness despite physical similarities. It still works for me and as long as the Engineers don't sit and debate in congress like some dull Lucas script they could still be an imposing presence. Their ancient need for the ultimate weapon is an interesting story from which the alien sprung.

It's an Alien film, I'm sure the only reason there was back peddling on that definition was because a film that doesn't feature Facehuugers Chestbursters and the big chap might be considered false advertising in some eyes - but I see no problem in connecting the origins of  A  L  I  E  N  in Prometheus.

PredalienXenomorph

PredalienXenomorph

Except the events in Prometheus had absolutly nothing to do with Alien or the sequels. Not a prequel by any means, more along the lines of a spin off.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: PredalienXenomorph on Feb 27, 2013, 09:45:53 PM
Except the events in Prometheus had absolutly nothing to do with Alien or the sequels. Not a prequel by any means, more along the lines of a spin off.

Why do you say that? The events of Prometheus are are about the discovery of the race that built the Juggeraut and the weapon in carries. It has more to do with Alien than most of Alien's sequels. It just happens to not be retreading the most obvious format for sequels and prequels. And all strength to it for doing that.

You can hardly say Prometheus isn't a prequel to Alien simply because it has no familiar facehuggers or adult alien when everything that housed the alien is established as a backdrop, and the weapon is clearly something that leads to any number of variants on the way to the perfect organism. It absolutely connects and has everything to do with Alien. It also manages not to conflict with the sequels and view them as the simpler route of alien gestation stemming from one batch of eggs - eggs that might predate the distillation of the bio weapon.

PredalienXenomorph

PredalienXenomorph

Since Ripley nor the Aliens were involved. It did not answer the question of whether or not the Alien was created by the Engineers or discovered. It did not reference how WY found out about the Alien, or what engineer was doing on Lv-426. How can it be a prequel if it is unrelated to the original movie? Prometheus is just a Engineer spinoff.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

It's set prior to the events of the Alien, so naturally those questions won't be addressed just yet. The film already set itself up for a sequel so hopefully those questions will be answered at some point.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I wouldn't mind if they're never answered. I'd be just fine if the Prometheus franchise ran concurrently with the Alien franchise without ever directly crossing over.

Gash

Gash

Ah, you're a person that needs the end of a prequel to link directly to the start of the original movie. Ok, but that doesn't always have to be the case does it?

Not all prequels follow that route, especially those that were planned as multiple movies from the start.

It didn't answer the question of whether or not the Engineers created the Alien, but did it need to? It doesn't take too much speculation to assume the Engineers either use the alien, or a distillation of it in the research into a weapon. The fact that something that is a subverted simpler version of the perfect organism shows up in the conclusion is a hint to where the Engineers experiments lead. By accident or design. Is the Deacon a watered down version of the ultimate weapon due the goo that created it being in essence the perfect organism, but only a droplet combined with two humans?

Did WY ever know about the alien? They only knew there was an alien signal emanating from a planet near one that they had previously explored and where their founder disappeared.

And Ripley? Really? Was she essential in the idea of prequel? Did you want a 15 year old Brett too? That's more of a George Lucas approach. I'd rather a prequel came from a more obtuse angle, than this fanwank name checking routine that serves no purpose other than knowing self-awareness. Which has no long term worth.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: PredalienXenomorph on Feb 27, 2013, 11:16:17 PM
It did not answer the question of whether or not the Alien was created by the Engineers or discovered.

Nope, but it did show them having interaction with them.

It did not reference how WY found out about the Alien,

Prometheus's flight recorder might say different.

or what engineer was doing on Lv-426.

It was dead. It wasn't doing much.

PredalienXenomorph

PredalienXenomorph

I wasn't expecting the end of Prometheus to be the beginning of Alien or any of that nonsense. I am just pointing out that at this point you can't call Prometheus a prequel to Alien when both films are barely connected.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed