The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 470,890 times)

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

This sex and nudity issue isn't localized to Game of Thrones. Anyone who's ever watched an HBO original program can attest to that. Sopranos, Rome, Boardwalk, Big Love, Hung, Six Feet Under ... hell ... going ALL the way back to Dream On. It's HBO doing things that regular tv shows can't get away with.

Game of Thrones on HBO is the perfect marriage. I wish people would stop f**king fussing and nit picking just because a show is big enough to land on their limited radar.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Michael Harper on Jan 22, 2013, 07:25:03 PMSeason Three is gonna ROCK!  8)

No more handmaidens for Daenerys to have sex with. What will the show do? :-\

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

Nudity is one of the things that separates HBO from regular television. So naturally they are going to emphasize that to draw more potential subscribers.

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Pretty much. It's a business choice too at the end of the day. As long as it doesn't interferer with the creative integrity of the adaptation. Meaning both, if a backlash forces them to cut back, or an outcry for more means more will be added.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Jan 22, 2013, 07:57:37 PM
This sex and nudity issue isn't localized to Game of Thrones. Anyone who's ever watched an HBO original program can attest to that. Sopranos, Rome, Boardwalk, Big Love, Hung, Six Feet Under ... hell ... going ALL the way back to Dream On. It's HBO doing things that regular tv shows can't get away with.

Game of Thrones on HBO is the perfect marriage. I wish people would stop f**king fussing and nit picking just because a show is big enough to land on their limited radar.
Nobody argued otherwise, but this is the GoT thread, so we talk GoT here, and not the merits and drawbacks of sex in Rome; and to re-iterate my point, so you see I'm not being a prude, and see my finer point: The sex and nudity itself doesn't bother me (Spartacus fan), but when I see that they've shoehorned in needless sex scenes in the place of great scenes from the books, it irks me The rest of the tits and fanny and sex I don't care about, because it's relevant, it's part of the parcel and comes from the books, ergo, part of the storyline. The actually left out scenes from the adaptation to give us Roz's ass and Littlefinger wiping a mouthful of dribbling semen from Armeca's mouth.

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Jan 22, 2013, 08:32:28 PM
Pretty much. It's a business choice too at the end of the day. As long as it doesn't interferer with the creative integrity of the adaptation. Meaning both, if a backlash forces them to cut back, or an outcry for more means more will be added.
There was already much sighing and shaking of the head from book and non-book readers back in season 1, episode 7, with the infamous Littlefinger/brother scene. It actually detracted from Littlefinger's seething jealously to have him explain his motivations to the sound of two prostitutes tonguing each other's arses. He's a more subtle fly in the books. I imagine the fan reaction is why they didn't do anything so extreme in season 2 (though Osha sleeping with Theon was new, and unnecessary as a plot point.)

Let's also not kid ourselves that the show throws in these scenes simply to keep a wealth of subscribers. The show's got other acclaimed things going for it too.

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Quote from: Valaquen on Jan 22, 2013, 09:15:31 PM
Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Jan 22, 2013, 07:57:37 PM

Nobody argued otherwise, but this is the GoT thread, so we talk GoT here, and not the merits and drawbacks of sex in Rome; and to re-iterate my point, so you see I'm not being a prude, and see my finer point: The sex and nudity itself doesn't bother me (Spartacus fan), but when I see that they've shoehorned in needless sex scenes in the place of great scenes from the books, it irks me The rest of the tits and fanny and sex I don't care about, because it's relevant, it's part of the parcel and comes from the books, ergo, part of the storyline. The actually left out scenes from the adaptation to give us Roz's ass and Littlefinger wiping a mouthful of dribbling semen from Armeca's mouth.

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Jan 22, 2013, 08:32:28 PM
There was already much sighing and shaking of the head from book and non-book readers back in season 1, episode 7, with the infamous Littlefinger/brother scene. It actually detracted from Littlefinger's seething jealously to have him explain his motivations to the sound of two prostitutes tonguing each other's arses. He's a more subtle fly in the books. I imagine the fan reaction is why they didn't do anything so extreme in season 2 (though Osha sleeping with Theon was new, and unnecessary as a plot point.)

Let's also not kid ourselves that the show throws in these scenes simply to keep a wealth of subscribers. The show's got other acclaimed things going for it too.

I agree with everything you said! :D

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

Quote from: Valaquen on Jan 22, 2013, 09:15:31 PM

It does, but that doesn't dispute the fact that HBO adds as much nudity as possible to get peoples' attention. Neil Marshall confirmed this himself.

Bjørn Half-hand

Gates

Gates

I've always liked Purefoy (Solomon Kane is crazy underrated), but his reasoning is friggen retarded...

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Gates on Jan 24, 2013, 11:41:58 PM
I've always liked Purefoy (Solomon Kane is crazy underrated), but his reasoning is friggen retarded...

Yep. Rome had some things going for it, but it dried out story wise when Ceasar (Cieran Hinds) was assassinated. GOT is playing on a much larger canvas - we are 2 seasons in and it feels like the fireworks is only just now about to begin.

My dilemma is whether I should continue with book 3 now that Season 3 will air in 2 months.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Might as well. The third book might spawn Season 4 of the show as well, as far as we know. On the other hand, there are some major things going down in this season that you might want to experience for the first time on screen.

Eva

Eva

Got an idea: Get myself really drunk -> read some chapters -> WOW moments -> sleep -> forget what I read from being pissed -> watch series -> WOW moments.

Twice the excitement from the same story. What can possibly go wrong? :D

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Quote from: Gates on Jan 24, 2013, 11:41:58 PM
(Solomon Kane is crazy underrated)

...finally.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed