21 (51.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author
Pacific Rim films (Read 953,801 times)

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 10, 2013, 10:31:36 PM
Quote from: Samayel on Jun 10, 2013, 08:56:32 PM
Read somewhere Del Torro and crew deliberately reigned in the kaiju designs and gave them recognisable animalistic qualities, but went crazy on the category 5.

'Category 5'...?
I think he means category 5 kaiju. If I remember from the script correctly, they seperated the Kaiju's by categories according to how large they were.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 10, 2013, 06:25:25 PM
That's why I referenced them in regards, specifically, to heads. :)
Right, so what I said about the Predator still stands -- it's not "remarkably inhuman".

QuoteBut there's a full-size suit for things like the (eventually unused) pilot.
The pilot was an animatronic, not a suit.

QuotePoint is, man-in-suit stuff can be as outrageous as you like, these days. Providing you have the budget to pay for it.
And the CGI to remove all the rigging and hide the bits of the actor sticking out. Not really the same as designing something which is completely a man in a suit, which is always going to be limited.

QuoteIndeed, just go back to original carpenter movie for totally non-CGI Lovecraftian-like visuals done in practical effects and suits.
The only man in a suit was Palmer, the rest were puppets. If The Thing proved anything it was that you could get away with more if you didn't limit yourself to a guy in a suit, which is pretty much the opposite of what you're arguing.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

But like I said, the head is. :)

And like I also said, ADI could've made them completely suits and/or animatronic. They were specifically requested not to.

My point was that the people who used to make those old movies were limited by the technology and relatively low budgets of the time. If they could have come up with something more spectacular and eye-catching, then they would have. Seems a wasted opportunity to deliberately restrict yourself to what seem like fairly generic dinosaur-looking things with a few extra spikes on them.

Honestly, if they do it well, good luck to them! I'm just rather underwhelmed with them being given all these movie-making resources and not coming up with anything which looks original, creature-wise (or robot-wise, for that matter, considering they all look very humanoid, too, but I'm hoping there might be some transforming origami-style surprises with them).

It probably won't matter for most people. I was the kind of kid who got lego sets and pooled all the movable parts together to make robotic sea monster/wasp/arachnid hybrid things, instead of the mundane stuff on the covers of the boxes. :)

Samayel

Samayel

Quote from: Cal427eb on Jun 10, 2013, 10:35:09 PM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 10, 2013, 10:31:36 PM
Quote from: Samayel on Jun 10, 2013, 08:56:32 PM
Read somewhere Del Torro and crew deliberately reigned in the kaiju designs and gave them recognisable animalistic qualities, but went crazy on the category 5.

'Category 5'...?
I think he means category 5 kaiju. If I remember from the script correctly, they seperated the Kaiju's by categories according to how large they were.

Yep, that is correct. We haven't had a glimpse of him yet.

Spoiler
According to the leaked script, only two category 5 kaiju have been encountered prior to the events of the movie; and it took days to bring them down.
[close]

Sylizar

Sylizar

That sounds promising.

Remonster

Remonster

I really hope they include the design of the Cat-5 from the script.

SM

SM

Ooooooh - scary!!!!

SM

SM

Shit!  Should I have put a spoiler warning on that?

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

YOU MOTHERDUCKER.  >:(

Requiem28

Requiem28

It plugs right up the Jaeger's ass.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 11, 2013, 01:43:49 AM
But like I said, the head is. :)
I know, and as I've said twice now, it isn't. It's not human. It's not "remarkably inhuman". Alien yes, Predator no.

QuoteMy point was that the people who used to make those old movies were limited by the technology and relatively low budgets of the time. If they could have come up with something more spectacular and eye-catching, then they would have. Seems a wasted opportunity to deliberately restrict yourself to what seem like fairly generic dinosaur-looking things with a few extra spikes on them.
Why? It's an aesthetic. By that sort of thinking every CG monster would have some kind of obligation to be an incomprehensible, ever-changing mass of teeth, eyes, tentacles and other miscellaneous body-parts because it's not something you can actually do well practically :-\

Requiem28

Requiem28

Anyone get the NECA figures yet?

Godzillakuj94

Godzillakuj94

Quote from: Requiem28 on Jun 11, 2013, 05:36:42 PM
Anyone get the NECA figures yet?
No but should have them by Thursday.

ace3g

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed