Things you just hate in the world

Started by Dark Passenger, May 26, 2010, 04:35:29 AM

Author
Things you just hate in the world (Read 409,564 times)

http://fleshisgrass.wordpress.com/2007/04/17/us-and-uk-murder-rate-and-weapon/
QuoteIn the UK (population c. 60.5m) there were 765 reported incidents of murder for 2005-6 (Home Office, undated) – a rate of about 1.1 per 100,000.

In the US (population c. 298.5m) there were an estimated 16,137 homicides in 2004 (FBI, 2006a) – a rate of about 5.4 per 100,000. Of these, 10,654 were carried out with guns (FBI, 2006b).

murder rate in the UK is 1/5 of that in the US

~ 2/3 of murders in the US are done by firearms

about 2% of murders in the UK are done by firearms.

DrGediman

DrGediman

Quote from: AvatarIII on Aug 20, 2010, 12:14:23 PM
QuoteIn the UK (population c. 60.5m) there were 765 reported incidents of murder for 2005-6 (Home Office, undated) – a rate of about 1.1 per 100,000.

In the US (population c. 298.5m) there were an estimated 16,137 homicides in 2004 (FBI, 2006a) – a rate of about 5.4 per 100,000. Of these, 10,654 were carried out with guns (FBI, 2006b).

You're trying to fit the data with your theories rather than trying to fit your theory with the data.

Murder rate 1/5 in UK to that of the US - Why?  What can explain this?  Many things.

2/3 murders in the US done by firearms - that's an interesting statistic.  Now Switzerland has a high rate of gun ownership too, but not the same rate of murders.  This points more towards cultural factors than firearm ownership.

2% of murders in the UK done by firearms - so?  Has it affected the overall murder rate?  Is it worth to take guns out of the hands of law-abiding people based on some wild theory that banning guns will stop murders?

Quote from: Wristblades on Aug 20, 2010, 12:25:47 PM
Quote from: AvatarIII on Aug 20, 2010, 12:14:23 PM

You're trying to fit the data with your theories rather than trying to fit your theory with the data.

Murder rate 1/5 in UK to that of the US - Why?  What can explain this?  Many things.

2/3 murders in the US done by firearms - that's an interesting statistic.  Now Switzerland has a high rate of gun ownership too, but not the same rate of murders.  This points more towards cultural factors than firearm ownership.

2% of murders in the UK done by firearms - so?  Has it affected the overall murder rate?  Is it worth to take guns out of the hands of law-abiding people based on some wild theory that banning guns will stop murders?

i think we should just agree to disagree, although i do see your point about cultural factors.
my general belief is that guns make things too easy, they are more deadly than other weapons like knives, due to their power, and the fact they leave bullets etc, i do agree that banning guns wouldn't solve the problem of gun crime in the blink of an eye, but there is no point even discussing banning guns in the US because it would never happen because guns are too ingrained into US culture.
i also believe that taken guns out of the hands of law abiding people would have little or no affect on general gun crime, but it would certainly have an affect on gun accidents and murders by self defense/pre-emptive murders. it would also have an affect on murders, since i'm of the belief a lot of people wouldn't go through with murdering someone with a knife or blunt object when they could easily go through it with a gun, because of the point and click/ease of use aspect.

this gun control subject has kind of taken over this thread. (perhaps a mod could split it?)

Xenodog

Xenodog

True. ^

Another thing I hate, people who condemn video games as a lesser form of entertainment.

chupacabras acheronsis

Spoiler
just a little insight, the US is a really really big country, with an also much bigger population. more people = more people dying. thats all.
[close]

well thank god we can leave that behind, and agree to disagree.

i hate the new google image search engine. i HATE it.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Aug 20, 2010, 05:24:16 PM
Monstrously Agree. It's annoying as hell.

The Captain

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Aug 20, 2010, 05:34:35 PM
Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Aug 20, 2010, 05:24:16 PM
Monstrously Agree. It's annoying as hell.

Aye me too

BANE

BANE

I love it...

i use chrome, so i love it too, i have used it with other browsers and i don't like it,

Deathbearer

I hate Apple's Safari browser. It's shit.

Quote from: Deathbearer on Aug 20, 2010, 09:55:44 PM

all browsers apart from firefox and chrome are pretty shit.

BANE

BANE

Quote from: AvatarIII on Aug 20, 2010, 10:51:32 PM
Quote from: Deathbearer on Aug 20, 2010, 09:55:44 PM

all browsers apart from firefox and chrome are pretty shit.
I loved Chrome. Then it somehow deleted ALL my setting and wouldn't let me access the internet, so I downloaded Firefox. Basically the same, really. :-\

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

You know.

chupacabras acheronsis

at least they are quiet. E-E-EVERY f**kIN' DAY there is a douchebag with his phone blasting shitty music(be it hip hop or reggaeton) in the metro, in the bus, in the street, in the goddamn classroom...

hey you f**khead, there is a thing we invented about 20 years ago, how were they called? HEADPHONES.

[Alpha]Frost

I hate people who are so arrogant they assume everyone wants to listen to their music and blast it out on trains and buses. Does anyone else find it ironic these people always listen to shit music? Like Chupacabras said, get some bloody headphones!

I hate people who wear fake tan and look orange. Do they know how f**king stupid they look? lmao... This is one thing I will NEVER understand.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed