Reasons The ALIEN PREQUEL OBVIOUSLY CANNOT INCLUDE ANYTHING LIKE PRIOR FILMS...

Started by Politikon, Feb 12, 2010, 08:07:15 AM

Author
Reasons The ALIEN PREQUEL OBVIOUSLY CANNOT INCLUDE ANYTHING LIKE PRIOR FILMS... (Read 10,472 times)

Politikon

I am curious to hear some critical input regarding what actually can and CANNOT be included in the PREQUEL, without compromising the other films, and why.

You see, I wonder how everyone else feels about this stuff. Especially in light of this leaked script because of the various concerns people have with the material. Are we really all waiting for the ALIEN prequel to just rehash what we have already seen?

Does the new script cause any major difficulty with what we know, or infringe upon the accomplishments of the other films within the franchise?

Because when I think about it critically, the things we are familiar with are exactly what kinda CAN'T happen...,

1- it can't be on Earth (AVP anyone?) without just rendering the rest of the series worthless, or directly linking it to AVP.

2- It can't involve the company's knowledge of the ALIEN by way of previous encounter, without centering on the Derelict, or it will render the first film redundant.

3- MOST IMPORTANTLY!!*** It cant focus on, revolve around, or even revel in the discovery the ALIEN's life cycle w/out ruining the dramatic tension of the first film. This is a major mistake made by PREQUELS! Please I hope we've learned something by now/for a change.
So, really think about it. If we make the Prequel tell a similar story, we ruin ALIEN. Think about knowing Darth Vader is Luke's father b4 watching EMPIRE...Do we want that to happen to the chestburster in ALIEN?

That means this film either needs to occupy different space altogether, or be the brainchild of some serious creative writing.

Basically alls I'm saying is, fans should take caution in what they expect or even WANT from an ALIEN Prequel. There is a fine line that it is necessary to walk.
You cant just fly into this story trying to make another ALIEN movie, because the story has to remain on a certain ladder.

So my question is, what stories can be told? And can you think of anything else that cannot be told without unwittingly undermining the existing films.

If there's anything I know for sure, it's that I DON'T want a prequel that restarts the series in a similar fashion WITHOUT Ripley. But this is actually for A LOT of reasons.

Not only because I love that character so much, and not even just because the typical ALIEN-formula has also been beaten quite closely to death. The results which rendered later sequels just not scary anymore. We are too familiar with the monster and the formula, so to rehashing that formula, would be to the detriment of the series.

So consider that, if the first film in the franchise, THIS PREQUEL, includes even SMALL amounts of what turns up in ALIEN, then we are ruining the impact of the earlier films.

Now, I don't think this means they shouldn't make one, it's just that Im sure the last thing we want is for the Prequel to tell a similar story and render the earlier sequels less than what they are!! No?

Well, the way to do that is to make 'another ALIEN movie.'

Ridley is right! (THANKGOD!) It HAS TO BE a 'new bag of tricks'!

Because it would be a tragedy of the highest order to mess with one of the greatest SCI-FI films of all time by including all of it's plot points in it's Prequel.

So the more I think about it, the LAST thing I want, is a new hero, another crew, on another spaceship/space-station/colony up *beep* creek without a paddle trying to kill the ALIEN.

Its just not fresh anymore, and it seems only logical that the thing to flesh out now is the world this all takes place in, and how the ALIEN fits into it, and maybe, on a more philosophical level, why is this happening?

I can also see why some fans think including the SJ's seems risky. To be honest, I've like the idea that they are extinct, or maybe close to extinction, because of the ALIEN. I also like the Mind control thing aspect of the race from the comics. So, as long as they are off on some distant world, it doesn't do any harm to the series to tell their story and it seems like a secure place to turn.

And please, PLEASE, keep the PREDATORS out of it.

Highland

I'm one of the few who likes the script that was doing the rounds. Without the ridiculous bits included, it's a solid story, doesn't f**k with anything and fits in nicely at the end.

I still think it may be real, or parts of.

Navaha

Weyland-Yutani probably knew about the Alien before Alien, considering that Ash was ordered to keep the thing alive. I doubt WY would have ordered Ash to bring back some random vicious parasite unless they had prior experience with it.

...So yeah. :-\

maddriver

Quotesome random vicious parasite
The facehugger IS a vicious parasite. Being the first contact ever with an alien race, the Company saw a great potential and sent Ash to investigate the matter. As you can see from the movies, the Company doesn't really care about the threat. Afterall, they wanted it for the bio-weapons division. So they needed a vicious creature.

Federick Gonsa

WY knew about the Aliens prior to Alien 1, that is why they send Ash to collect the "Perfect Organism". That is why WY made the crew land on LV426.

peanut8

Quote from: Federick Gonsa on Feb 12, 2010, 06:46:37 PM
WY knew about the Aliens prior to Alien 1

I highly doubt that. We're not even sure that they knew about the derelict before the crew of the Nostromo. As the Nostromo passed by Acheron the ship picked up a strange, non-human signal. This was probably forwarded to someone at WY, who then instructed the Nostromo and it's crew to stop and check it out.

I'd guess that after Ash wrote them a brief report telling them just how valuable it was they decided to give the 'crew expendable' order. WY really has no way of knowing about the xenomorphs  before then.

Mystic Ninja

Is Weyland Yutani not a AvP creation and not valid in the standalone franchises? Is it not just Weyland or something?

SiL

WY is from the Alien movies, and is referenced in both AvP movies.

Navaha

Quote from: Voodo Magic Man on Feb 12, 2010, 09:53:12 PM
Is Weyland Yutani not a AvP creation and not valid in the standalone franchises? Is it not just Weyland or something?

Weyland-Yutani was the company in Aliens, so no. They also hinted at them in Alien, a sign in the background on the Nostromo had the name "Weylan-Yutani" on it.

Politikon

Politikon

Its actually WELAN YUTANI without the 'D'. That was added only in ALIENS, at least thats what Ive heard from RScott.

I am well aware of the story in ALIEN. It definately insinuates the Company knows they have made contact with another life-form. But thats all it does.

Regardless of this, it doesn't change the logical idea that the PREQUEL CANNOT reveal the ALIEN's lifecycle. At least NOT without altering it so that what occurs in ALIEN is a surprise.

Now instead of getting angry with me for pointing this out, or thinking I'm defending the script, I'm asking people to troubleshoot. How else could this work?

Like the content or not, ALIEN HARVEST, does manage to not step on the toes of, or ruin any of the plot points of the first film. AND THAT IS A DAMN GOOD THING because unless the story focuses exclusively on things we don't ALREADY know about this monster, it simply doesn't work without stepping on the toes of ALIEN.

This isnt my fault. It's just an observation.

Mystic Ninja

Politikon

If it wasnt necessary....
Seriously though I dot mean to sound condescending as much as I genuinely think that the way an ALIEN PREQUEL is approached requires something very different from what we've seen.

Federick Gonsa

Federick Gonsa

peanut8, that could be a theory, but it is just that, a theory. If I am not mistaking, I do remember Dallas saying that The Company misteriously replaced their science officer merely weeks before departing. If My memory serves me right, and I am proven right, The movie implies that the WY was up to no good even before getting the distress signal. And even if they did not, How did they know there was an Organism in planet LV246, yet alone a living organism? By asking Psychics? They knew there was an Organism/ alien life form in LV426.

politikon, I do agree, we need a movie that does not repeat the formula of most alien movies, have you noticed that 3 of the 4 movies has the surviving human(s) running away from an explosion they them selves activated? Have you noticed that after said explosion, there is a surprise waiting for them back to where ever they escaped to (the original alien, the queen, the hybrid). The alien Prequel better not repeat the formula, or people will notice.

SiL

They had a warning signal - That's it.

Something had to make it, and whatever it was clearly wasn't going to be human. The Special Order doesn't mention bringing anything living back, just bringing back an organism.

Federick Gonsa

Federick Gonsa

Well I said living because if they thought the thing was 1,000,000 years old, they could not expect anything. Bones are not an organism, it is organic, but not an organism. The same with dead creatures. If they were there to bring an organism, they knew there was something alive out there, there was something they had seen before.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed